Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 11:50   #61
BHPian

hi Friends,
My hearing happened on 14th May,2010 as i specified in my earlier post. In the hearing the B.O. asked me the whole story and than he asked the bank represtative about it along with him was an expert on cyber crime and they asked them to furnish few details to them by this monday, i.e. today-->
the internal investigation they did till now.
What is the security measures they have for internet transactions( and he purposelly asked them about the mobile alerts and secure transaction technology).
The day limit of taking out money through ATM ( as the hacker took out 45,000/- in one day).
and the hidden and internal rules and regulations of internet banking.
The B.O. asked me about the FIR copy but i was only having the FIR no.;so he asked me to send a copy of the same and i send it already.
Now what is the procedure ahead Mr. Prabhu any idea?
As per their discussion i feel that they are positive in my case and even the technical expert said to B.O. that something is not right in this case with respect to bank.
Keeping my fingers crossed as if i dont get justice here than only option left is consumer court
Old 17th May 2010, 12:55   #62
Senior - BHPian

Again the waiting game....

The waiting game continues....

What the ombudsman has done is to give an hearing to both the sides. He will now go through the findings - if he is convinced that you have been aggrieved, and the bank was lax, he can pass a judgement against the Bank. Most probably, what will happen is he will ask the Bank the furnish him the details of their internal investigation and what exactly the Bank has done (or not done, in this case)

I would suggest you to wait for a couple of weeks - I am sure the ombudsman will get back to you. I don't want to raise any false hopes, but if the facts were against you, the judgement could have been handed over then and there.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:27   #63
BHPian

i know that judgement can go against me too.but i am 100 percent sure, that i am not at fault and i will continue fighting whatsoever..
Old 18th May 2010, 12:54   #64
Senior - BHPian

That's the spirit!

Let us hope for the best!!

BTW, I had a spark right now - do you own any shares of PNB?
Old 18th May 2010, 15:00   #65
Senior - BHPian

Best of luck!.

I use SBI and SBBJ mostly, not by choice but by virtue of some of the benefits of living in a small town. There is no other fancy bank.

What SBI does is that every time I add a beneficiary, a sms is recieved on my registered phone with a passcode to approve that beneficiary. If i don't put that I can't add that beneficiary and hence I cannot transfer the amount. ALso there is a limit that i can put to a particular beneficiary.

Also to change my registered phone is a long process, i have to go to my branch get a form fill it and the SBI bozo enter in his computer and it gets approved within a week, if all works well. Tiring it may be, but thats the price you have pay for banking with SBI and for a security.

What i would like to know is PNB does not have such security measures.

Last edited by SirAlec : 18th May 2010 at 15:01.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:22   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Best of luck!.

I use SBI and SBBJ mostly, not by choice but by virtue of some of the benefits of living in a small town. There is no other fancy bank.

What SBI does is that every time I add a beneficiary, a sms is recieved on my registered phone with a passcode to approve that beneficiary. If i don't put that I can't add that beneficiary and hence I cannot transfer the amount. ALso there is a limit that i can put to a particular beneficiary.

Also to change my registered phone is a long process, i have to go to my branch get a form fill it and the SBI bozo enter in his computer and it gets approved within a week, if all works well. Tiring it may be, but thats the price you have pay for banking with SBI and for a security.

What i would like to know is PNB does not have such security measures.
No, till now i dont have this facility with me and during the trial also the bank representative also aggreed upon that this facility is not available.
And i believe this is a big blunder from PNB side.
Prabhu i dont have any shares of PNB!
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddriver View Post
Prabhu i dont have any shares of PNB!
Too bad! I have PM'd what I had in mind...
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:35   #68
Senior - BHPian

Received one such mailer from PNB, but perhaps if they could also open one account for me, before asking me to update details. Guys beware of such mailers.

Fraud Transfer of Money from my Salary Account of PNB: Fought case & won-pnb-scam.gif
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:52   #69
J.Ravi

I am also getting numerous mails to update my non-existent account in PNB, apart from ICICI, IDBI, etc., which I delete immediately.

Always, I log into my accounts through my favourites in my laptop.

In case of my Axis Bank account, I can log in from my pre-deisgnated personal computer using 2 factor authentication process. If I access it from some other desktop/laptop, it will ask for my authentication by sending password to my mobile. Only after my authentication, I will be allowed to access only once.

In case of my SBI accounts, if I have do a fund transfer even to pre-designated beneficiaries, I will have to enter the high transaction password sent to my mobile. For fund transfer, the details of beneficiaries are to be authenticated by me once by inserting the security code sent to my mobile.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 22nd May 2010 at 17:56.

Old 24th May 2010, 18:03   #70
Senior - BHPian

I would like to add my Rs.0.02 to this. First of all, I wish ddriver the very best. May you get back your money asap. And second, based on my experience with some public sector and private banks, a few tips on how to secure net banking.

For private banks, the procedure for registering (and unregistering) from the net-banking is relatively easy - most often can be done online using your credentials such as DOB, account no, ATM card no, pin, etc. Once that's done you're set to go. When you happen to forget your password/userid etc., you can call their customer care and have it reset. But I find this as a serious security loophole. Reason: The person at the other end verifies it's you, by asking a few questions - your account no (an impostor can get it thru different channels - simplest of all is by having a look at the ATM slip that most of us carelessly throw away near the machine itself. Some machines mask the first few digits though), DOB - again easy, if you are a regular in social networking sites and/or you've given out your info in legit sites for some other purposes, debit card no (some ATMs don't mask the card no in the slip, so it's easy for them). The customer care executive might behave nicely because (s)he doesn't want you to feel offended by asking too many questions (assuming it's you who's calling up).

The info the impostor has gathered, can be used against you. So, keep your password as complex as you can. Do NOT, in any case send out your userid or password thru mails, chats, sms, etc. to anyone.

Public Sector banks are also on par with private banks in terms of the facilities provided via net-banking. But if you forget your password or userid, you'll have to visit the branch office to have it reset. This, I believe, is for extra security. And I wouldn't scoff if I happen to be in such a situation.

Therefore, I would prefer banking with a PSU bank such as SBI and its associates (SBT, SBH, SBM, etc). Their online customer support is faster and more customer-friendly, compared to others. Might sound puzzling. But it's a fact that I've seen for myself. If I contact ICICI or ABN Amro (now RBS) for any account-related issues, I would get an immediate automated response. But if for the same reason I contact SBI, I get a mail that would most often contain the solution (or steps to solve the issue) within a day. My sister once happened to forget her SBI password, and we went to the bank to have it reset. We returned home and she tried setting a new one. But it wouldn't work. I wrote to the customer care explaining the situation. The next day morning at around 11, I got a call from the SBI branch asking me to try again. My sister tried again and it worked. They rang me up after half an hour or so to confirm. The point is, I had kept some of the mail addresses I'd found in their website - of the grievance cell, mail id of the branch, etc in the cc. So I was sure at least one would respond.

Coming to using the facility - stay away from M$ products (Windoze - XP, 98, 2000, Vista (big No-no), Win 7, Windows Mobile, Internet Explorer - any version). If at all you have to use Windoze (like me, because I can't run Linux in my office workstation), don't use IE to do internet transactions. Use Firefox, or the latest Opera (version 10.xx).

As much as possible, avoid using the internet banking sites from public PCs such as those in Internet cafes. If at all you have to do it, use the on-screen keyboard to type in your userid and password. This would render the keyloggers if installed, useless. And before you open the page and after you're done with the process, clear all history, cookies, temporary files, cache, etc.

I strongly recommend using a Linux flavour in your laptop or home PC - lesser threats from viruses, trojans, etc. Ubuntu is one of the most popular one. It's easy to install and use.

If you browse from the mobile, use BOLT (works on most Java-enabled phones from Nokia, Sony-Ericsson, Samsung, Motorola), or the Nokia native browser found in newer phones (5800, 5230, 5233, N95, N97 et al) or Safari (iPhone). Haven't used a blackberry, so I can't comment on them.

Above all, be extra careful. It's our hard-earned money.
Old 12th June 2010, 13:06   #71
BHPian

Hi all,
As you must be knowing that on 14th May i went for the hearing to Banking ombudsman, as i stated in my last mail. Yesterday that is on 11th June, i got a call from my branch manager that you come and recieve your money as headquarters had decided to give it back by filling indeminity bond that if the error is not from bank side, the money will be given back to them, than after half an hour he called me again and told me that bank has decided to go for appeal and send their appeal to RBI.
now i cant understand what it is all about? i asked the bank manager has he got any decision from Banking Ombudsman as i didnt recieved anything after the hearing. He also said no! so my question is that a bank can go for appeal only when they have lost the case from the BO office, if so than why i did not get any mail from the BO office?
Really topsy turvy for me!
Old 12th June 2010, 14:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

Simple...

Quote:
you come and recieve your money as headquarters had decided to give it back by filling indeminity bond

after half an hour he called me again and told me that bank has decided to go for appeal and send their appeal to RBI.
Actually, what would have happened was that the case must have been discussed / reviewed, and somebody must have opined that it can be settled against indemnity (what is actually mentioned against your case will be known only to a few).. which is why you got the first call.

When this payment was put up for approval, the approving authority must have objected because the case is pending at BO..

One thing is certain - you case is far from closed. Time to send one more reminder, perhaps? To the Bank, I mean.
Old 12th June 2010, 14:35   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Actually, what would have happened was that the case must have been discussed / reviewed, and somebody must have opined that it can be settled against indemnity (what is actually mentioned against your case will be known only to a few).. which is why you got the first call.

When this payment was put up for approval, the approving authority must have objected because the case is pending at BO..

One thing is certain - you case is far from closed. Time to send one more reminder, perhaps? To the Bank, I mean.
Prabhu i just talked to the circle head of PNB in Karnal and he said that it was initially decided by the BO office to give the money as interim relief against indemnity bond but than it was decided to wait for the final decision. He also told that BO will give his judgement on coming monday or tuesday.
This chase is killing me, what would happen if the BO gives decision against me? i heard that one can appeal against BO deision to RBI governor too as Appelate authority is vested in him?
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:11   #74
BHPian

Today just curiously i mailed to banking ombudsman asking about the current status of my case as it is now over one month for the hearing which happen in may. and in response i got an automated mail stating this
Quote:
Complaint No. 200910014005739 got disposed, under Award Passed: parties advised-12(1)
Regards,
Banking Ombudsman

This is an auto-generated reply, kindly do not reply on this mail.
I didnt understand it actually so mailed again to them asking what it actually mean to a layman and may be tomorrow i can get answer from them.Any idea what it means?
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:28   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Today just curiously i mailed to banking ombudsman asking about the current status of my case as it is now over one month for the hearing which happen in may. and in response i got an automated mail stating this
I didnt understand it actually so mailed again to them asking what it actually mean to a layman and may be tomorrow i can get answer from them.Any idea what it means?

Let me try a guess work translation:-

1. A final decision has been taken.
2. The decision is fully / partly allowing the complaint (else, it would have been "rejected / dismissed", etc.)
3. You and the bank have been informed of the final outcome (probably b ordinary post).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks