Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 16:16   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything?

What about the duty on buying from amazon?
Is it charged?
Old 24th January 2013, 17:53   #167
BHPian

Just bought a riding gear from Amazon.com US and I selected AmazonGlobal Standard Shipping (averages 9-12 days) shipping option to India. How are they going to ship the package? is it through DHL/UPS or Normal India Post ?

Next : They charged Rs. 450 as a Import Fees Deposit. This means the package won't be stuck at customs and there is nothing more I need to pay. Am i right ?

Guru's anyone who has bought from Amazon please answer
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:30   #168
BHPian

I had ordered K&N 1013 TS for civic, Cleaning kit and Claybar kit ( California Gold) and few other products to pamper my cars, just to check the overall experience. Must say, all materials arrived from Pittsburgh to Kolkata, as they should! The delivery date was precise and the overall experience is absolutely hassle free.

The products were cheaper even considering export duties and courier charges, as per prices quoted by Indian dealers/distributors ( including shipping to Kolkata).
Attached Thumbnails
Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything?-amazon-shipment-pack-1.jpg  

Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything?-amazon-shipment-pack-2_-kn-1013ts.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2013, 11:56   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip27in View Post
I had ordered K&N 1013 TS for civic, Cleaning kit and Claybar kit ( California Gold) and few other products to pamper my cars, just to check the overall experience. Must say, all materials arrived from Pittsburgh to Kolkata, as they should! The delivery date was precise and the overall experience is absolutely hassle free.

The products were cheaper even considering export duties and courier charges, as per prices quoted by Indian dealers/distributors ( including shipping to Kolkata).
Hey I was trying yesterday to get some items shipped directly from the US to Bangalore, but they dont seem to allow. Whenever I add stuff in my shopping cart and proceed to checkout, the dialog box says "Some items in your shopping cart cannot be shipped to the selected location".

Please advise how you managed to get it.
Quote:
@Parthasarathig

Some items are getting blocked. For cars, I remember autoglym products are available for shipping yet similar Meguiars items were not. I am yet to comprehend the fallacy of the system. Forgot to mention in my previous post, in my case the courier was ARAMEX and I am really happy with the updates.
Thanks. The shipping charges for the Mothers kit is coming to 2749rs. How much did you pay?

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 22nd February 2013 at 12:11.
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:04   #170
BHPian

@Parthasarathig

I too had faced with some of products.First I added all the products I was looking for, 30% of the products gave the message you are referring to. I presume, some items are shipped periodically.

I considered buying GTECH 502 RR, it appeared available for shipping towards last week of January, however, when I placed the order on 11th of Feb, it wasn't.

Some items are getting blocked. For cars, I remember autoglym products are available for shipping yet similar Meguiars items were not. I am yet to comprehend the fallacy of the system. Forgot to mention in my previous post, in my case the courier was ARAMEX and I am really happy with the updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Please advise how you managed to get it.
Also how much was your shipping charges?
In my case the shipping was 24.96$ for the boxes. The total weight was approximately 6 kgs.

I too had faced with some of products.First I added all the products I was looking for, 30% of the products gave the message you are referring to. I presume, some items are shipped periodically.

I considered buying GTECH 502 RR, it appeared available for shipping towards last week of January, however, when I placed the order on 11th of Feb, it wasn't.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd February 2013 at 14:19. Reason: Merging both your posts.
Old 20th April 2013, 01:58   #171
BHPian

Quote:
@Parthasarathig

Forgot to mention in my previous post, in my case the courier was ARAMEX and I am really happy with the updates.
Sir one more question. Does it ship directly to your home or do you need to visit customs?

Because one of the items that i wanted has come up for shipping to India so only needed to confirm about the import duty fee and any custom hassles.

Thanks.
Old 20th April 2013, 06:13   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some items are getting blocked. ... I am yet to comprehend the fallacy of the system.
More likely a restriction placed by Meguire's. Amazon is dealer/re-seller, who will have to go by the policies of the principals.
Old 20th April 2013, 10:23   #173
BHPian

Quote:
I too had faced with some of products.First I added all the products I was looking for, 30% of the products gave the message you are referring to. I presume, some items are shipped periodically...............Some items are getting blocked. ........ I am yet to comprehend the fallacy of the system. .
While purchasing from Amazon and getting it shipped to India, just select "Amazon Global Eligible" on the left hand side search parameters. Then the page'll show only those items that can be shipped internationally. Amazon ships only those items that are being stocked and sold directly by them. Vendor items are generally not shipped internationally.

Quote:
Sir one more question. Does it ship directly to your home or do you need to visit customs?.....
They now a days ship directly to your home and collect the customs duty upfront. You need not make any visits to customs. Item will be delivered as any other local Indian websites mostly through Aramex courier (at least I've always received through this courier). However do note the following:

- Customs might sometimes charge extra to what Amazon had estimated. In that case, courier comapny will collect the extra duty from you. However, Amazon sometimes refund extra duty as well, as I found out once.
- Customs might open the packet to check the item inside. (and then not pack it properly.) Last month my Casio Edifice watch barely made it to me still inside the package. One side of the tape was torn with the watch box peeking out and I could see inside the pack even without opening it.
- It seems that Amazon does not do any extra packaging for international shipments. Its simply a light brown paper box with a paper tape sealing it. It is very easy to rip it open (similar to the pic that dip27in has posted above). In comparision, our homegrown Flipkart packs the items much more securely.

Till January this year they were shipping items free if your total bill was more than $125. But now this has been withdrawn.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 20th April 2013 at 10:27.
Old 20th April 2013, 17:14   #174
Senior - BHPian

@Wanderer- Cant find the "Amazon Global Eligible" on amazon page. Can you kindly post a screenshot of the same?
Old 20th April 2013, 17:27   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post

They now a days ship directly to your home and collect the customs duty upfront. You need not make any visits to customs. Item will be delivered as any other local Indian websites mostly through Aramex courier (at least I've always received through this courier). However do note the following:

- Customs might sometimes charge extra to what Amazon had estimated. In that case, courier comapny will collect the extra duty from you. However, Amazon sometimes refund extra duty as well, as I found out once.
- ti
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.
So where does it land? If its being shipped from the UK?

I saw on amazons page that should the duty cost more than their estimate I shouldnt have to pay at all. Which means Aramex shouldnt be charging me extra and should simply bring it to my doorstep. The stuff available there including shipping is costing much less than what is in the country. Im just thinking whether its worth to order from amazon then after all that you meantioned.

Under what condition can the customs charge me more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@Wanderer- Cant find the "Amazon Global Eligible" on amazon page. Can you kindly post a screenshot of the same?
I guess he meant in advanced search mode.
Old 21st April 2013, 22:04   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@harry10, when you search any item, just filter "Amazon Global Eligible". Here's a screenshot.

Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything?-amazon.jpg

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.
So where does it land? If its being shipped from the UK?
I think its Mumbai Hub of Aramex. All my items have landed at Mumbai first. From Amazon UK, I've never had items shipped to India as I'd shipped them to my cousin there in UK itself. And I think Amazon UK does not ship items to India except DVDs and books. Only from Amazon US I've got items shipped here.

Quote:
......The stuff available there including shipping is costing much less than what is in the country. Im just thinking whether its worth to order from amazon then after all that you meantioned.

Under what condition can the customs charge me more?
Well, I think most common electronic items like mobiles, cameras, laptops etc cost lesser here in India if you consider shipping, customs etc and is not worth the hassle. I've always ordered items valued at around USD 100 -150 max. Even some books that I'd ordered, as they were out of stock in our Indian websites ended up being costlier than the prices shown in Flipkart, Infibeam etc. So, I guess it depends upon the item that you want to purchase. But, still Amazon has some nice tit bits that are not available here in India and with low prices one can go ahead.

Regarding customs charging higher, I have not been charged more than the estimate till now. But, one of my friends was charged Rs 400 extra by courier as customs duty for a Tab that he'd purchased. Though I'm not sure whether he'd purchased from Amazon or some other site. But, customs do charge extra sometimes if they think that the item is undervalued.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 21st April 2013 at 22:11.
Old 2nd December 2014, 13:38   #177
BHPian

Ppl,

I have something interesting to share, though it is still in the experimental stages right now (till I have actually received it).

I was looking for a K&N performance air filter upgrade (part no: 33-2865) for my Jetta (It is a 2012 CL Jetta TDI done 45000 Kms) and was calling some local dealers for the same. All of them quoted that it would cost INR 6450 and would take 15 days for stock to come. I thought this would be exciting as I am planning to drive from Mumbai to Chennai for the year end holidays.

I was playing around with Amazon.com and they had quoted USD 44 for the same airfilter. When I reached the checkout page they gave me a USD 11 something discount and charged me USD 10 for shipping and INR 1100 something for customs deposit. In all it was less than INR 4000 and shipping in 15 days to Mumbai.

As for now it sounds like a sweet deal but would wait for it to reach here.
Old 2nd December 2014, 19:49   #178
Senior - BHPian

E-Commerce payments in India require a 2-factor authentication as per RBI guidelines.

What about amazon.com payments ? Is the 2FA authentication bypassed ? Wanted to know how secure the transactions are.
Old 25th February 2017, 11:57   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, is it painless to get stuff from amazon. Com shipped to india with them deducting and paying customs? Anything i should be wary of?
Old 25th February 2017, 12:43   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
amazon. Com shipped to india....Anything i should be wary of?
It is painless in the sense that either you get the product within time or refund (without any follow ups).

In mot cases, you will get the product. In shipping / customs mess up, Amazon eats the loss.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks