Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2017, 21:24   #196
BHPian

Re: Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything?

I have used amazon.com quite a few times and they have never refunded and never charged higher as well.
Old 18th December 2017, 21:35   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

How is customs duty estimated for car audio ?

One item I see shows a 45% duty
Old 18th December 2017, 22:31   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Any idea about the customs duty applicable for car audio items imported from Amazon.com (USA). Cost would be about 150$ + 90$. Can split it into 2 packages.

Shipping was cheapest on Amazon, than through other carriers.

I had ordered a jump starter from Amazon.com. Seller MC powersports promptly shipped my order.
Then the ordeal started when tracking information said "at customs".
Waited for a couple of days. As there was no change in the tracking information, shot a mail to the seller regarding releasing the package from customs. I was under the impression that Amazon /Seller would clear customs and deliver to my home.
After a couple of mails it was clear.

Sellers reply..

Hello,

Any purchase from a US seller on Amazon would require you to pay duties / customs if your country requires it. We have nothing to do with that. You as the buyer are responsible for any costs, duties or taxes for the item as you are importing it.

If you do not wish to pay the taxes your country is asking of you, you may refuse the package and it will come back to us. When it does we can process it as a return (you would have a 15% restock fee and the shipping costs you paid deducted from the refund per our policy as stated in our about seller page).

If you go to our about seller page found here:

https://www.amazon.com/ sp ?_encoding=UTF8& asin =B01BA1G876& isAmazonFulfilled =0& isCBA =& marketplaceID =ATVPDKIKX0DER& orderID =&seller=A1Y55SV2Z7T6I2&tab=& vasStoreID =

You will see under the policies tab we state:

Tax Information

Sales tax is collected for residents of the state of MI only (6%).

For those outside the USA:

Any additional import duties / custom fees / taxes etc...for international shipments are the responsibility of the buyer. We do not collect these at checkout. The shipping cost / charge is only for shipping of the item(s) and does not include any taxes or duties.

For return information on that page look under FAQ, or help and you will see:

Returns are charged a 15% restocking fee (exchanges do not have a restocking fee). PLEASE NOTE: EFFECTIVE FOR ALL ORDERS THAT A RETURN REQUEST IS MADE ON / AFTER 10-2-17, A 20% RESTOCK FEE WILL APPLY.

Any shipping costs you paid on the original order is not refundable (examples: expedited shipping, international shipping etc..).

I am sorry for the issue but none of this is our fault as we do not determine what your country charges you.

It is simple you pay the taxes / duties that are due and you get the package. If not it will be returned to us eventually and we will process it as a refund per our policy.

Thank you.

M.A.

MC Powersports

Customer Service Manager

I had to pay custom duty and release the shipment.

This happens only if the seller has shipped by USPS . The package mostly gets stuck in customs.

Request the Amazon seller to ship by FedEx /DHL /UPS. The courier company will clear /pay custom duty after required paperwork submission. During delivery custom duty is collected.
Old 25th December 2017, 23:57   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Amazon gives an estimation. My question was not about that. I am asking specific details from any one who has done an import.

Also, If you check, the estimation by Amazon says if the actual amount if higher will not be charged but it lower it will be refunded.
I have had one refund for duty in my account for an item I purchased on Amazon. Nothing on another couple items.
Old 26th December 2017, 08:34   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
I had ordered a jump starter from Amazon.com. Seller MC powersports promptly shipped my order.
Then the ordeal started when tracking information said "at customs".
Customs Duty has to be paid. However, in your post, you have not mentioned anything about the purchase details - the item (cost), if you had paid for duty up-front, or if the seller was responsible for only shipping. Going by what is in your post, it looks like seller only shipped, and you were responsible for the duty & clearance. Restocking fee is standard practice. So I cant find fault in that transaction.

Just in case you had paid Amazon towards duty, then it would have been double payment and you could have raised a dispute with Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
I have had one refund for duty in my account for an item I purchased on Amazon
Again, without any details of the cost, item etc, I am not able to make out anything from your post.
Old 26th December 2017, 08:46   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Again, without any details of the cost, item etc, I am not able to make out anything from your post.
Item was a toy - Elenco snap circuits kit. Amazon charged me for import duty upfront (about 1000 bucks). A few weeks later, I got a refund of 700 odd rupees in my bank account. Purchase price for the item was about 3500.

I have also purchased items with values in excess of Rs 10000 (automotive stuff like snow chains) but no duty refund was done (at least not until now). Hope it helps.

One important thing - my transactions have always been done on Amazon.in where Amazon takes care of all formalities like import duty, shipping etc (complete peace of mind and no hassles of dealing with customs etc including duty refunds which Amazon only processes). When you transact on Amazon.com or any other international website, it will vary from seller to seller. Keep this in mind while transacting.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 26th December 2017 at 08:49.
Old 28th December 2017, 08:02   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Customs Duty has to be paid. However, in your post, you have not mentioned anything about the purchase details - the item (cost), if you had paid for duty up-front, or if the seller was responsible for only shipping. Going by what is in your post, it looks like seller only shipped, and you were responsible for the duty & clearance. Restocking fee is standard practice. So I cant find fault in that transaction.

Just in case you had paid Amazon towards duty, then it would have been double payment and you could have raised a dispute with Amazon..

This was my first buy from Amazon.com. While searching for the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter costing $99, most sellers were not shipping to India.
After a lot of searching I found only one seller was shipping to India. Quoted cost of item was $120 which was high as compared to others $99.
Total cost, including "Shipping and Handling" was $199, which I wrongly presumed as including custom duty.
I my excitement I paid without reading the details.
Shipping and Handling I presumed as Shipping and Customs.
Delivery date on the page showed 8 days which I thought would be the usual quick Amazon shipping /FedEx.
The seller was responsible for only shipping which they shipped by USPS (shipping method was not mentioned).

PS: The jump starter is of top notch quality. Highly recommended.
Old 27th October 2020, 16:20   #203
BHPian

Did anyone order TUSA Digital Air Compressor Pump yellow one ( was available in lightening deal).

It has been in “delivery date pending” limbo since last week.

Whereas now lightening deal is going on for Red color version of the above.
Old 9th November 2021, 10:21   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In two days it traveled from Kentucky to Chennai, and in the next two days it kept stumbling around Chennai. When will we get reliable delivery system in India? In fact, it is one of the biggest stumbling block for online shopping in India.
That was back in 2010. Looks like things haven't improved since then.

I ordered something on Nov 7th night from Amazon USA website. It is already in India on Nov 9th morning. What is the delivery date? December 6th!!! The customs is going to sit on it for 4 weeks?

The only thing that is truly Made in India is stupid bureaucracy. Amazon even collected my aadhar card for KYC during the purchase.

Name:  Fullscreen capture 09112021 100905.bmp.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  67.8 KB

Last edited by Samurai : 9th November 2021 at 10:23.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 10:56   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I ordered something on Nov 7th night from Amazon USA website. It is already in India on Nov 9th morning. What is the delivery date? December 6th!!! The customs is going to sit on it for 4 weeks?
Samurai, is the item already physically in India? Looks like only the pre-arrival intimation has been filed electronically with Customs ICEGATE.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 11:15   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Samurai, is the item already physically in India? Looks like only the pre-arrival intimation has been filed electronically with Customs ICEGATE.
Ah, my bad. Let's see how long it takes to actually reach India.
Old 13th November 2021, 19:40   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Alright, it took 4 more days. It is in Bangalore now, but the deliver date is still Dec 6th. I wonder if that remains so. It is just 45 minutes away from my home.

Name:  Fullscreen capture 13112021 152724.bmp.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  40.4 KB
Old 13th November 2021, 20:00   #208
BHPian

Signed up for US Prime free trial while resetting my fire stick.

Turns out we've to have the free apps which play specific free content during the trial period.

But the free apps are not downloadable firstly and the trial is not a real trial.

I had locked my international debit card fearing a charge and voila on day 2 it tried to charge me saying to continue prime benefits you must have a valid credit card.
Old 15th November 2021, 11:50   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Alright, it took 4 more days. It is in Bangalore now, but the deliver date is still Dec 6th. I wonder if that remains so. It is just 45 minutes away from my home.
It was delivered today, that is 15th. I wonder why they gave the delivery date that far away. I had ordered another dash kit via MASS because of the delay, which I can cancel now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks