Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2007, 19:39   #31
BHPian

Now that definately is useful News!
Realiability of these personal warehouse type shippers? Had any personal experience?
Old 19th July 2007, 19:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Now that definately is useful News!
Realiability of these personal warehouse type shippers? Had any personal experience?
Indeed it is very useful, I had used the services of one such mailforwarding companies based in Houston (it's a multimillion $ company doing just this business) once, just subscribed for one month, 4 yrs back in 2003. Got some Fabric Shavers, Lint Rollers, some winter clothes, a pair of UGGs (items only shipped in US, and shipped to their Houston warehouse address) everything neatly arranged in a package and shipped, delivered to me before date by DHL. I just wanted to test if they really work. Well, they work fine.
Old 19th July 2007, 19:50   #33
BANNED

Bought many things but that time Wife was in US so address given of US and taken things without paying anything in India as bangalore custome guys are decent enough to allow 1-1 items like one dvd, one cam, one handy cam, 5-10 watches etc.
Old 19th July 2007, 20:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Books, DVD's etc. are not charged any duty. Other items I'm not sure off. I think they are held at the post office where you have to go and pay the duty to collect it. Not sure though. Waiting for any first hand experience from someone.
rtech, if i am right, goods if they are held then it will be customs. they contact you over phone and ask you make payment before they release.

In some cases, customs call the buyer to seek clarification on the product, if they find it suspicious.

regards
tifosi.
Old 19th July 2007, 20:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
rtech, if i am right, goods if they are held then it will be customs. they contact you over phone and ask you make payment before they release.

In some cases, customs call the buyer to seek clarification on the product
, if they find it suspicious.

regards
tifosi.
Customs are only obliged to write you a letter. If you are fortunate, then you might receive their letter/postcard.

It's only professional shipping companies like DHL or UPS who will call you if the customs duty is too great like runs into thousands of dollars and you agree to be charged for it. In most cases they will charge the customs amount to your a/c and will collect the amount during the delivery.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:10   #36
BHPian

Make sure that the item is insured for the full amount when shipped from abroad to India.The customs people know that FedEx/DHL etc insures the goods and if they take it or "LOSE" it ,then the courier agency will pay the customer.But the agencies will pay you only what you declared as the value of the item.

One do not have to pay duty on item priced below 100USD,but anything more will attract a duty of 30-38%.I got my watch from singapore by courier and was slapped with a 30% duty on the mentioned price.Hence it is better not to recieve watches costing more than 150 USD from abroad through courier.

I have no personal experience regarding electronic items,but I think the same kind of rules apply.

Fed Ex will call you if the item is slapped with a hefty duty.If you are Ok with it,they will release it and you can pay the duty at their office.

Last edited by artofzen : 19th July 2007 at 21:12.
Old 28th July 2007, 10:35   #37
Team-BHP Support

Amazing! I ordered a watch on Amazon on the evening of the 19th and I received it at my doorstep last afternoon (27th). 8 days for an International delivery via regular USPS. Beautiful!
Old 19th May 2009, 18:20   #38
BHPian

I want to purchase an electric item from Amazon and when wanting to check out, got the message that they don't ship to India.

Is there a workable alternative that anyone can suggest?
Old 19th May 2009, 18:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikat View Post
I want to purchase an electric item from Amazon and when wanting to check out, got the message that they don't ship to India.

Is there a workable alternative that anyone can suggest?
I have been getting regular emails from ICICI Bank about this company: https://www.vpostasia.com/india/index.html (I have never used them though, so can't comment about their service) - this might be a viable alternative if you do not have any friends in the US.
Old 19th May 2009, 19:38   #40
Team-BHP Support

Try this: Theitdepot - India's First Online IT Store

I ordered couple of electronic items on Friday, got it today, very safely packed too, took me 10 minutes to open it.
Old 19th May 2009, 20:27   #41
BHPian

Thanks ajay. Let me know if there are any more sites like this.

Samurai: I will keep that site in mind when am buying a electronic item. The product that I am looking to purchase is not available anywhere in India. It is Braun 7 Series 790cc pulsonic shaver.
Old 19th May 2009, 20:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I ordered couple of electronic items on Friday, got it today, very safely packed too, took me 10 minutes to open it.
Sharath superb and a gazillion thanks. They have what I was looking for from AMD.
Old 20th May 2009, 17:17   #43
BHPian

Sharath, the prices are on the higher side when compared to TheItWares or your friendly neighborhood vendor. Upto 1K excluding shipping charges.

For ex. ITDepot is selling AMD Phenom-2 X4 at 11900 whereas the same thing is selling at ITwares at 10950. Both are inclusive of taxes but ITwares charges a nominal shipping fees to send it across India or if someone picks it up from Mumbai, then no charges / upto 100/-.

That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Old 20th August 2009, 22:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Amazing! I ordered a watch on Amazon on the evening of the 19th and I received it at my doorstep last afternoon (27th). 8 days for an International delivery via regular USPS. Beautiful!
reviving an old post.
Do we need to pay duty if we buy a watch around 130.00$.
And can we pay with our icici or citibank credit card?
Old 20th August 2009, 22:17   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
reviving an old post.
Do we need to pay duty if we buy a watch around 130.00$.
And can we pay with our icici or citibank credit card?
I've used my ICICI/HDFC/Amex cards while shopping on Amazon. But everytime the delivery was in the US.

Most Viewed