Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:32   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything?

Its strange, for used authentication it takes you to Amazon.co.uk and when clicked on Product details it takes to Amazon.com (US) page. Not sure which one would handle the shipping and handling for India bound shipments. Might try for something smaller and simple soon as its not available on flipkart.com.
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:53   #107
BHPian

I tested junglee.com and saw that Amazon Imports Goods from Amazon US. For certain products , the link takes you to the Amazon US site. There you can add the goods to the cart , add shipping address , add credit card details.

After these steps, it gives you the shipping and import duty cost. I tried to check the cost benefit of certain products like camera and found the cost more or less comes to the price in India.

Eg. Canon Rebel T3i with 18-55 kit lens is approx $900 (incl $200 for duty & shipping), and the corresponding indian price is around 49000. You might still save a decent amount. You need to do extensive research and then it may benefit.

Certain products may not make sense where your shipping cost is equivalent to the product cost like a Kids Storage unit.

Another positive I found in the site , it list a lot of online retailers which we have not heard about. Like bigfang.com a mumbai based online retailer where the electronic products are very cheap compared to the big guys. Some Camera & Lenses are prices 2K lower than the closest market price.
Old 3rd February 2012, 05:33   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Like bigfang.com a mumbai based online retailer where the electronic products are very cheap compared to the big guys. Some Camera & Lenses are prices 2K lower than the closest market price.
Could you recheck the URL, when clicked or entered on the address bar it takes me to Holiday Accommodation in Cape Town.
Old 3rd February 2012, 06:11   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Could you recheck the URL, when clicked or entered on the address bar it takes me to Holiday Accommodation in Cape Town.
Sorry. It is BitFang.com - Computer Store, Compare and Buy latest Computer Hardware, PC, Laptop & Electronics Online Shopping in India..
Old 5th February 2012, 11:27   #110
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazon Online Retail enters India with Junglee.com

MODS: My search did not yield any existing threads on this topic, hence starting this one. Please Merge/Delete if such a thread already exists. Regards NPV

Amazon's entry to India has been talked about widely for sometime now and finally they have entered the market with Junglee.com.
India is the third largest online market after US and China so they're hoping to make it big here. They apparently have over 1.2 crore products and 14,000 brands from online and offline retailers in India and from Amazon.com.
Here's a news article from Economic Times:
American online retail giant Amazon enters India with Junglee.com, an online shopping site - The Economic Times
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 11:40   #111
BHPian

Re: Amazon Online Retail enters India with Junglee.com

Quote:
Amazon's entry to India has been talked about widely for sometime now and finally they have entered the market with Junglee.com.
India is the third largest online market after US and China so they're hoping to make it big here. They apparently have over 1.2 crore products and 14,000 brands from online and offline retailers in India and from Amazon.com.
Yip checked their site out , they seem to be pretty good , and the prices seem to be atleast 5% cheaper than other online stores .
Service is an unknown territory as of now but should be pretty fine considering its Amazon.

Don't like the name Junglee too much though

but the best thing for me is you can buy the Kindle at Rs. 5600
Old 5th February 2012, 12:02   #112
BHPian

well it is not exactly the same amazon model , for starters all the indian products are linked to the indian sites and secondly it is such a pain to get the real price of amazon shipped product from usa

i hope that this is due to the fact that is in beta stage and things will improve
Old 5th February 2012, 14:58   #113
BHPian

The prices shown on Junglee.com are simply conversion from USD to Rs. there is no indication of actual charges we have to give as tax, customs and any other clearing and forwarding chages in India.
And we have to order the product from direct Amazon.com by the link provided at Junglee.com
By the way has anyone bought from this? pls let us know the whole procedure.
Old 5th February 2012, 15:04   #114
Senior - BHPian

@hiren-You are very right, its just a direct conversion of USD in INR. I think it is very similar to ebay global buy, but I couldnt see the process documented anywhere in the site. Not very well done, IMO.
Old 5th February 2012, 18:23   #115
Senior - BHPian

Similar discussion going on this thread, maybe they could be merged.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...nything-8.html

Junglee is currently a skeleton site and in BETA. Hence the ranges that you see aren't very wide and lot of stuff is not yet available. Also the pricing is a simple USD-INR conversion, as nothing is sourced locally.

I am expecting it to do much better then what it currently does very soon.
Old 6th February 2012, 09:37   #116
Senior - BHPian

Well I tried to purchase a item just to test it out. All in all the final price turned out to be within 1k accuracy of the current price of the product in India.

So I guess it will be useful to buy things which are not available in India. Otherwise I do not see much utility in buying from this site.
Old 6th February 2012, 15:37   #117
BHPian

One question to all gurus who had bought watch from Amazon
If I order a watch, price range between 78 to 94USD from Amazon.com with their Free Super Saver Shipping, what will be the final price to me incuding Indian tax, Customs and all??
Old 6th February 2012, 15:50   #118
Senior - BHPian

^^ Better actually add the item to the cart. And go till the last stage where it shows all the taxes and import duties. You will get a fair idea.
Old 7th February 2012, 15:02   #119
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As an Amazon fan and loyal customer, I am EXTREMELY disappointed by their lame entry into the Indian market. Junglee? The only part that's junglee is the management that approved such a half-hearted entry into the market. Heck, what does junglee.com do, except for act as a directory service for other stores? Not to mention, it doesn't even do that job correctly by listing only selective online stores (and not all). If you choose to buy, you are simply directed to the other stores.

Is this the best show that "the Amazon" can put up in a Top 5 internet marketplace of the world? PATHETIC. This appears to be a move that can just please investors by saying "Oh yes, this year we entered the fast-growing Indian market too. Standing ovation!!".

Junglee is NOT the Amazon.com I know. In fact, Amazon ought to be ashamed to be associated with it.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 15:43   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As an Amazon fan and loyal customer, I am EXTREMELY disappointed by their lame entry into the Indian market. Junglee? The only part that's junglee is the management that approved such a half-hearted entry into the market. Heck, what does junglee.com do, except for act as a directory service for other stores? Not to mention, it doesn't even do that job correctly by listing only selective online stores (and not all). If you choose to buy, you are simply directed to the other stores.

Is this the best show that "the Amazon" can put up in a Top 5 internet marketplace of the world? PATHETIC. This appears to be a move that can just please investors by saying "Oh yes, this year we entered the fast-growing Indian market too. Standing ovation!!".

Junglee is NOT the Amazon.com I know. In fact, Amazon ought to be ashamed to be associated with it.
If I'm not wrong, there are legal uncertainties due to which Amazon.com has not entered India yet (in its full avatar). Specifically, clarity on FDI in multi-brand retail and its applicability to online shopping websites.

Junglee.com is just an aggregator where the original Indian sites register with Amazon to get their products listed. I presume that the legal uncertainty forces junglee.com to redirect you to the original merchant site for the purchase.

Why do they not have listings from biggies like Flipkart and letsbuy?
Because Flipkart and the rest believe that they are sufficiently well-known and do not need the additional traffic from junglee.com. Also, they would be competing on price (instead on brand, service) with lesser known Indian websites.

Why did Amazon go through the trouble?
My theory is that Junglee.com is a huge data mining opportunity for Amazon.com (if and) when they enter India. The searches and sales on Junglee.com will give them invaluable insight into trends, likes and dislikes of the Indian online shopper. All this, before (technically) setting foot on our shores.

I'd rate it as a pretty smart move, without diluting the core Amazon.com brand.
NikhilB is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed