Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 17:48   #121
BHPian

Re: Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilB View Post

Why did Amazon go through the trouble?
My theory is that Junglee.com is a huge data mining opportunity for Amazon.com (if and) when they enter India. The searches and sales on Junglee.com will give them invaluable insight into trends, likes and dislikes of the Indian online shopper. All this, before (technically) setting foot on our shores.

I'd rate it as a pretty smart move, without diluting the core Amazon.com brand.
I disagree with your point. I am not sure on how the purchases I buy on another online outlet will give me indications to trends.

Thanks to junglee, I found out a new online store which sells ( eg. camera's) at alteast 5% less than other websites. Next time I would not even visit junglee & search for cameras.

Also the key to Amazon's success in the US was the cheap price , supply chain & the guarantee by Amazon on the products even though it is sold by another retailer.
Old 7th February 2012, 18:22   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
I disagree with your point. I am not sure on how the purchases I buy on another online outlet will give me indications to trends.

Thanks to junglee, I found out a new online store which sells ( eg. camera's) at alteast 5% less than other websites. Next time I would not even visit junglee & search for cameras.

Also the key to Amazon's success in the US was the cheap price , supply chain & the guarantee by Amazon on the products even though it is sold by another retailer.
Like I said, searches on and purchases through Junglee.com will give them useful data.

Also, one reason why you might visit junglee again is that next time you might find some other site selling the stuff cheaper

Regarding your third point, I agree. And that is precisely why they haven't used the Amazon brand, but Junglee instead. They might enter with the Amazon brand once they are allowed to enter with their normal business model.

PS: I suspect moderators would not take it kindly, us discussing Amazon's India strategy on this thread. Like I mentioned earlier, that's my theory. You probably have a different one. Would be happy to discuss over PMs.
Old 26th February 2012, 16:28   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Phishing using the Amazon.com name

Have got this mail a few times. It comes to my regular e-mail id, and seems to be from Amazon.com. Just that it has not (luckily) come to the mail id I use with Amazon.com

Looks legit, but as with all phishing mails, the URL goes elsewhere.

Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything?-amazonphishing.jpg
Old 27th February 2012, 09:03   #124
BHPian

Oh! e-commerce gurus, I have a quick question on amazon.com and couldn't think of a better place to ask this question.

I find Junglee.com's business model most intriguing, where their research seems almost certain to launch a full blown site bang in the middle of delta created by flipkart and ebay (seller v/s sales enabling platform)

I noticed some mouth watering deals on Amazon's international shipping program on a few watches in the range of 50k (INR of course!). Now i trust Amazon to deliver them to me more than i trust the air that i breath in Bangalore (mind you, the pollution and dust are at an all time high!), I know that these goods come under great scrutiny of our infamous Customs department.

Now for reasons known to many, I know that as with most government organization dealing with customs could be lets say 'unpleasant'. Do we have to pay extra customs duty as the goods arrive? Also, how much of an hassle are these added tasks? With the added running around, does it make sense to make an expensive purchase from amazon.com?

Thanks in advance for your replies guys!
Old 27th February 2012, 09:35   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post

Now for reasons known to many, I know that as with most government organization dealing with customs could be lets say 'unpleasant'. Do we have to pay extra customs duty as the goods arrive? Also, how much of an hassle are these added tasks? With the added running around, does it make sense to make an expensive purchase from amazon.com?
I bought a set of BluRay DVDs (House MD - Season 7) from Amazon.com as soon as I got an email from them that they do international delivery.

The shipment took close to 25 days to arrive, and the customs stuff is taken care by them. We need to pay the Customs Duty to the guy who delivers the stuff to you. In your order checkout page, there is no indicative duty mentioned, so, you might have to keep your fingers crossed (unless you know the duties for various goods)

My BD DVD set was priced at 35 USD and I paid Rs 660 as customs duty. (13 USD more). I also paid close to 20 USD for shipping.

Even then it was a good buy for me, since I wouldn't have got the DVDs anyway (haven't seen them in India). It was a good price / VFM even then.

In summary, you get the goods hassle free though a bit later than you'd like to get.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 11:43   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
My BD DVD set was priced at 35 USD and I paid Rs 660 as customs duty. (13 USD more). I also paid close to 20 USD for shipping.
Have you tried Shopandship, they are more lesser in shipping charges.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 22:56   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Have you tried Shopandship, they are more lesser in shipping charges.
Will try this next time! Thanks!
Old 29th February 2012, 00:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
I noticed some mouth watering deals on Amazon's international shipping program on a few watches in the range of 50k (INR of course!). Now i trust Amazon to deliver them to me more than i trust the air that i breath in Bangalore (mind you, the pollution and dust are at an all time high!), I know that these goods come under great scrutiny of our infamous Customs department.
That is the benefit of Amazon, you never have to deal with any department on your own.

Amazon takes care of shipment as well as custom clearance. I have ordered quite a few items and these were delivered on time and without any hassles.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 00:10   #129
Senior - BHPian

Any idea where i can get this in india. Fisher Price's indian customer care is a joke.

Its listed on amazon but i don't think they will ship stuff this big. also shipping this and custom will be horrendous.

Power Wheels Jeep Hurricane with Monster Traction - Fisher Price Toys - Power Wheels
Old 1st March 2012, 06:36   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec
Any idea where i can get this in india. Fisher Price's indian customer care is a joke.

Its listed on amazon but i don't think they will ship stuff this big. also shipping this and custom will be horrendous.

Power Wheels Jeep Hurricane with Monster Traction - Fisher Price Toys - Power Wheels
I tried very hard to get a Jeep hurricane for my daughter and could not do so in india. Your best bet would be to have someone ship it from the US. 20north had it in their website but it turned out to be more than $1500 with shipping consuming the most part. They are no longer operational.

The hurricane was also available from its Chinese manufacturer but he wanted me to pick a container. (20 pcs) but at good rates.

Finally, fed up I got a body and gearbox of a scrapped Jeep wrangler locally and imported motor and other stuff and DIY'd a variable accelerator jeep for my daughter. Scrapped and painted it new as well. Net cost abt 10k.

The problem is none of the Chinese made jeeps or lookalike come close to the quality of FP. Also they have a low torque motor only on one side. If the child is aggressive in driving like mine, gearbox is gone in less than a week.

I've spent a lot of time on this. Let me know if you are looking for more details.
Old 5th March 2012, 17:26   #131
BHPian

I have ordered a watch from Amazon.com through Junglee.com on 19th of Feb 2012, till date I have not received the shipment to my place.
Online tracking system shows that Out for delivery in my city since last three days but not received yet!!
Old 12th March 2012, 18:30   #132
BHPian

Finally my shipment has lost in transit and Amazon has given me the refund for late shipment, what a worst experience in my first online buy!!
Old 19th March 2012, 11:41   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
There is this sale on posters on Amazon that caught my attention last week.

Each poster had a 99% discount! So what was $9.50 was just about $0.01-$0.08! So I excitedly selected about 15 posters. (Well, wat can I say? I'm a sucker for posters ) and then after confirming my shopping cart and typing in the credit-card number, I got a quote saying that the total bill was $200. I was

Apparently, direct shipping would cost me about $15-$20 per poster.

I'm a student and can't afford such absurd bills, just for posters. But I want these posters so badly!
Hi Suhaas,

You might wanna try out this site for your poster requirements:

Welcome to BombayMerch
Old 20th March 2012, 16:26   #134
BHPian

I ordered some stuff from Amazon, for the past 4 days my order has been lying at the courier's office at C.G Road in Ahmedabad. I called up to find out the reason for the delay and the guy said it is because my locality is in their delivery route only on Thursdays every week.

I am never ordering stuff from Amazon again. With such capable local couriers as partners, I don't think Amazon will cut it here.

Amazon, It was nice to work with you for 12 years, have a good one.

It seems me and hiren959 are having nightmarish experiences with Amazon and their local couriers.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by n_aditya : 20th March 2012 at 18:58. Reason: posts merged
Old 2nd April 2012, 05:36   #135
Senior - BHPian

Looks like not everything that is sold on Amazon can be shipped to India, i wanted some strings and Processor which individually cost ~$130 and the total basket was less then $200, but when i came to choose the "Ship to this address", it says

We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.

Any idea how to get these, or whats the logic in not allowing these items to be shipped to India?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks