Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2017, 17:27   #181
BANNED

Re: Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything?

I have recently bought twice from Amazon.com. The frist was a bottle of leather polish which came by cart2india and the second was a shaver (Philips of that model family was not available in India) which came through Aramex. No issues in either. They charge duty which is refunded if not paid.

Only Aramex was about three weeks faster than cart2india. The latter used Speedpost inside India.
Old 27th February 2017, 15:38   #182
Senior - BHPian

Does amazon tell you what duty would be charged or we have to calculate it ourselves? (best guess estimate)
Old 27th February 2017, 15:48   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Does amazon tell you what duty would be charged or we have to calculate it ourselves? (best guess estimate)
I checked couple of days back. The checkout page does mention the import duty component explicitly.
Old 1st March 2017, 11:47   #184
BHPian

I've been consistently using amazon for one specific thing besides the huy fong sriracha. I think it is the best ketchup made anywhere in the world. (Heinz from netherlands) A dutch friend was raving about it and I thought eh why not.

http://www.amazon.in/Heinz-Tomato-Ke...dp/B008LK7F18/

Consumed 8 bottles so far and it has truly rot me to my core. I cannot eat any other ketchup anywhere else now and click on the page everyday to see if I can order more and stock up. Definitely stay away if you wish to keep enjoying normal ketchup.

Last edited by Swarit19 : 1st March 2017 at 11:49.
Old 11th July 2017, 15:22   #185
Team-BHP Support

I often buy stuff for office from my amazon account, and then claim the amount from the office.

Now this GST has thrown a major spanner in the works. My accountant tells me I need to provide our GST number to the vendor every time I buy something for office. However, I don't see any option in Amazon.in for entering the GST while purchasing.

How is this to be handed in future?

Edit: Looks like I must get a business account at www.amazon.in/business site.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th July 2017 at 15:27.
Old 26th July 2017, 10:40   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarit19 View Post
I've been consistently using amazon for one specific thing besides the huy fong sriracha. I think it is the best ketchup made anywhere in the world. (Heinz from netherlands) A dutch friend was raving about it and I thought eh why not.

Consumed 8 bottles so far and it has truly rot me to my core. I cannot eat any other ketchup anywhere else now and click on the page everyday to see if I can order more and stock up. Definitely stay away if you wish to keep enjoying normal ketchup.
I am keen to try it based on your feedback but every time I check this link, it is out of stock. Any idea, where else it can be ordered?
Old 31st July 2017, 17:46   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
I am keen to try it based on your feedback but every time I check this link, it is out of stock. Any idea, where else it can be ordered?
Gotta be on it every single day to even have a chance at it.

Order only from Cloudtail tho as I saw some bad reviews regarding old stock from the other seller. Order atleast 4 bottles if you can as well when you have the chance.
Old 31st July 2017, 18:18   #188
BHPian

Quote:
I think it is the best ketchup made anywhere in the world. (Heinz from netherlands) A dutch friend was raving about it and I thought eh why not.

Out of thread.

One of my teammate from US had come down to Pune and he is a fan of spices and indian food and is ready to eat anything that i say is safe to consume.
So he has had everything from Street side Vada pav to Paani Puri to gelebi and what not.
I took him to Mapro Garden on the way to mahabaleshwar. He taste the ketchup there and was an instant fan. He bought 2 kg of ketchup to take it back with him!

I am not much into tomato ketchups. But give Mapro ketchup a try if you haven't already. It's completely different to Maggi/kisan etc.
Old 31st July 2017, 18:18   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....I think it is the best ketchup made anywhere in the world. (Heinz from netherlands).....
(Potentially) silly question time. How different is it from the Heinz available in India?

I'm not referring to the 'Made in India' one (different narrow-cap bottle design and has less tomato content).

I prefer the wide-cap one (same as the one in the link), but stock is usually difficult to find in supermarkets, it costs nearly 50% more than made-for-India Heinz.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st July 2017 at 18:20.
Old 31st July 2017, 18:52   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
I am not much into tomato ketchups. But give Mapro ketchup a try if you haven't already. It's completely different to Maggi/kisan etc.
Where can I get this Mapro ketchup from? I'm always open to try stuff out especially when it comes to sauces and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
(Potentially) silly question time. How different is it from the Heinz available in India?

I prefer the wide-cap one (same as the one in the link), but stock is usually difficult to find in supermarkets, it costs nearly 50% more than made-for-India Heinz.
When it's available it is about double the price of normal made for India heinz bottle I think if you're talking about the same bottle. Imported top down heinz is way thicker (it takes a long while to drop out even if you remove the entire cap), does not contain any preservatives and tastes way different compared to the one made for india. The difference to me is so big that they shouldn't even be in the same sentence as each other. It's also quite the shocker when you realize they bear the same brand name.
Old 31st July 2017, 19:38   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....The difference to me is so big that they shouldn't even be in the same sentence as each other. It's also quite the shocker when you realize they bear the same brand name.
Absolutely!

I bought the wide-cap (top down) version once a couple years ago (price was nearly 2X before supermarket discounts), never went back to regular ketchup and more than happy to pay extra given the taste difference.
Old 31st July 2017, 22:00   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I often buy stuff for office from my amazon account, and then claim the amount from the office.

Now this GST has thrown a major spanner in the works. My accountant tells me I need to provide our GST number to the vendor every time I buy something for office. However, I don't see any option in Amazon.in for entering the GST while purchasing.

How is this to be handed in future?

Edit: Looks like I must get a business account at www.amazon.in/business site.
I recently ordered a couple items from Amazon US. While Amazon didn't ask me for the GST number, Aramex has sent me an email to update the same with them. I haven't got the number so didn't respond to that.
Old 18th December 2017, 18:31   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea about the customs duty applicable for car audio items imported from Amazon.com (USA). Cost would be about 150$ + 90$. Can split it into 2 packages.

Shipping was cheapest on Amazon, than through other carriers.

Last edited by condor : 18th December 2017 at 18:32.
Old 18th December 2017, 20:59   #194
BHPian

It will show on checkout. They usually make you pay it upfront on checkout.
Old 18th December 2017, 21:04   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
It will show on checkout. They usually make you pay it upfront on checkout.
Amazon gives an estimation. My question was not about that. I am asking specific details from any one who has done an import.

Also, If you check, the estimation by Amazon says if the actual amount if higher will not be charged but it lower it will be refunded.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks