Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2010, 14:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

disgusting. these politicians are rotten. Can you believe one of the ministers was a health minister? Shows how much he cares...

felt so horrible seeing the video of the policeman pleading for help and no one caring. :(
Old 9th January 2010, 14:56   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
One can hire an assasin for the price of a set of Michelins tyres.
not really. if you read through the local daily newspaper, you can see that for a bottle of liquor you can hire an assasin.

I was shocked to see the news about kids < 20 years of age being arrested for murder case.

What we need is more stricter enforcement of rules. Fear of the Law should be implemented in the minds of the citizens. otherwise,
Old 9th January 2010, 16:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post

I would also like to ask here how we all, discussing here would have reacted if we were placed in a situation like that, to be in a position to help that cop. Would we have helped him or no ?
Very good question, I would have atleast tried to gather people to come and assist that's me.
Old 9th January 2010, 23:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

There is lot of political background to this incident and this type of incidents are more prone.

If not for the political connections, I am sure we wont be seeing so many cops staying spectators at the spot! Its a terrible thing really!
Old 10th January 2010, 00:03   #35
BHPian

Dear Lord,..are we doomed,..when mankind can stoop to such levels of animosity ?
When hatred can reach such levels. First it was the video about exceution style killings of tamils in lanka and now this. Too much for one day !!

Its easy for me to make such statements sitting in my warm bed with a false feeling of security. This could very well be me tomorow if I was hit,..or robbed or what ever.

nuff said..................

Last edited by Torque-ative : 10th January 2010 at 00:05.
Old 10th January 2010, 01:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

TN cop bleeds to death, officer defends inaction: IBNLive.com > Videos

Stupid *** minister defends not doing anything.

Talking about land mines on tarmac. What a fool!

They could shoot a video but not save him.
Old 10th January 2010, 12:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

May SI R. Vetrivel rest in peace.

A very shocking, ghastly, mind-numbing murder, made sickeningly worse by the scenes of many people (forget their qualifications/job positions...all that matters is that they were all physically normally abled at that point in time, and that is all is needed to help the injured officer) standing around doing nothing to save the unfortunate police officer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
You're well informed.
Tirunelveli is a district of cold blooded murderers...

Wow, what a sweeping statement, and that too from a D-Bhpian.

nitrous, let us not try to project the people of an entire district in a bad light , based on such incidents.
Old 10th January 2010, 12:46   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

nitrous, let us not try to project the people of an entire district in a bad light , based on such incidents.
Hmm, in his defence, the Indian Express article I read few months back, said pretty much the same thing.
Old 10th January 2010, 14:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... in his defence....
I guess we are losing focus here...

Quote:
...the Indian Express article I read few months back, said pretty much the same thing.
that Tirunelveli is a district of cold blooded murderers ?
Please send me the link if possible...I am interested in reading that article.

Fortunately, I don't have to depend on Indian Express articles to form such opinions

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 10th January 2010 at 14:02.
Old 10th January 2010, 14:02   #40
BHPian

First things first, my condolences to the family of that brave cop who had to lay his life down in the line of duty. Second thing, most of the people in India do not value human life at all. Why would we, when we have a billion people and one life lost is trivial... . We as Indians believe that somehow the rules dont apply to us and we will try with all of our might to bend those rules to suit ourselves. We see it everyday; a simple thing as breaking traffic rules, hell ive done it! we've all done it. The fact that India is one of the most corrupt countries in the world also ties into this. Thirdly, most every politician in india is a crook or has been a crook at some point of his/her life. Its funny, instead of rising up and throwing all of these idiots out, we are just being led like lambs to the slaughter. Its sad, if the common man cant turn to the police or the government then what happens??? The best way to implement fear of the law is to enforce it; like for example when there are riots or people going crazy in the streets over some stupid reason the government should bring out the paramilitary forces, ensure "shoot on sight" orders and send people back to their homes.
Old 10th January 2010, 14:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, in his defence, the Indian Express article I read few months back, said pretty much the same thing.
Interesting.
I have several friends and family friends in Tirunelveli for generations.
Should I go ahead and accuse them in the light of statements in this thread? Should i cut off all communication with them?

Please do NOT generalize a city or town. I least expect such statements from TBHP.
Old 10th January 2010, 16:05   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
that Tirunelveli is a district of cold blooded murderers ?
Please send me the link if possible...I am interested in reading that article.

Fortunately, I don't have to depend on Indian Express articles to form such opinions
I read that in the paper version of the Indian Express (the sunday annexure). I don't have the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Interesting.
I have several friends and family friends in Tirunelveli for generations.
Should I go ahead and accuse them in the light of statements in this thread? Should i cut off all communication with them?
Why should you do that? BTW, my area is known to produce lots of underword dons. I neither need to deny it, nor have I lost friends for that reason.

Relax guys, just because certain area earns a notoriety, it doesn't mean everybody from there is a criminal.
Old 10th January 2010, 20:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Is what that minister said true? That an injured person like that should not be attended to by anyone other than medical professionals lest moving him hapahzardly complicates the injury? I know that the cop died in this case so transporting him in the other cars would have helped but that's the benefit of hindsight. If you see a seriously injured person, should you attend to him straightaway or wait?

P.S. In F1, this is how its done. If a driver crashes very heavily, the marshals near him will not do anything. They will wait for the medical car to come out.
Old 10th January 2010, 21:11   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
You're well informed.
Tirunelveli is a district of cold blooded murderers.
This incident as well as what Phoenix witnessed are daily events.
Quote:
Well blue Thunder, your location doesnt reveal where you are from, but there is nothing to be shocked about N's remarks. Its not his personal opinion, but PROVEN history of caste/Class based violence in that district since the last 60+ years... Its something akin to feudalism - problem between farming laborers Vs LandLords. Actually there is a particular time of every year that this tension runs VERY HIGH - similar to dec 1st week across India. Not sure about the time frame there, but its a fact till today that the day-after-the-event TN Papers will carry similar stories across the state.

My family lineage is from that district and all I can do is feel bad for that FACT!!

PS - RIP COP, hope the family is compensated enough to educate the 2 kids!!

EDIT---
http://www.indianexpress.com/ie/dail.../28050673.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U._Muthuramalingam_Thevar

Those who dont know much into Thevar Vs Dalit conflicts of Southern most dist's of TN, please google more on these topics...

Last edited by svsantosh : 10th January 2010 at 21:23.
Old 10th January 2010, 22:10   #45
BHPian

While I am against media sensationalism, in this instance I will defend them. It is not clear whether the video was shot by a witness or journalist but for the sake of this argument I will assume the later.

Firstly, this journalist/videographer is one among many witnessing the scene. Why single him/her out? Infact s/he is doing something, which is recording and subsequently reporting the event. Secondly, I read long time back that journalist abide by certain principles, one of which is that their role is to objectively report events as it unfolds, not to directly influence or alter the course of that event. Now i am not sure anymore of the exact wording but it went something like I have written above.

This thing about journalistic detachment reminds of the world famous photograph of a sterrt execution during the Vietnam war. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Adams_(photographer)
First time I saw that photograph I thought, "Why didn't the photograph intervene to save a life?''

To get back to thsi particular incident, its absolute apalling. As already mentioned many times, life has very little value here in India. It reflects in the way we brazenly drive on the wrong side of the road, three on a motorcycle and none wearing helmet, no proper highway emergency rescue system, lots of avoidable accidents on the highways but traffic police/authorities don't care a hoot. This list can go on.

Most Viewed