Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2010, 13:18   #1
BHPian

Pinhole Cameras in Changing Rooms of Big Bazaar, Shoppers Stop

Just got this in my mail. Not sure how true this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The email
Please be careful ladies…

Pinhole Cameras in Changing Rooms of Big Bazaar, Shoppers Stop?

A few days ago, I received this text message:
Quote:
Plz dnt use Trial room of BIG BAZAAR there r pinhole camera 2 make MMS of young girls. Evn in Mrk n Spncrs and Citicentre. So, Plz fwd 2al girls. Also fwd 2al boys who’ve sisters n girlfrnds.
It’s been shown on Tv9. Dnt b shy in fwding dis msg. Bcoz Its abt protecting the integrity of Indian girls.
In Mumbai when an HT correspondent ran into a woman who had caught an assistant in a prominent sports apparel store taking pictures of her in the trial room. The woman chose not to file a police complaint. Her father told Media that they did not want ‘legal hassles’ and would leave it to the media to take up the issue. The report led to the shop assistant’s arrest, the management has not even taken steps to post women attendants outside the changing room. Not everyone takes up such incidents with the police.
Attached Thumbnails
Pinhole Cameras in Changing Rooms of Big Bazaar, Shoppers Stop-pinholecamera.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th January 2010 at 12:04. Reason: Putting text in quotes.
Old 9th January 2010, 13:26   #2
BHPian

Shocking to say the least! Better to verify the authenticity of the story before crying wolf! But No harm in being cautious!
Old 9th January 2010, 13:35   #3
BHPian

I agree its better to be cautious, but what can one do about the change rooms!

I happened to be in Big Bazaar on OMR, Bangalore last weekend and noticed women attendants not even letting men in the sitting area next to the women change rooms.
Old 9th January 2010, 13:47   #4
BHPian

Windsurfer,

is it happening in all locations, i mean the cities.

Rocky is right. I was in Shoppers stop on Bannerghata road last week end.The women attendants were doing the same.

This is very cheap and disgusting. Fit to complain to the cops if this is a genuine.
Old 9th January 2010, 13:54   #5
BHPian

This happened a couple of years back and the accused was caught and handed off to police. So far, that seems like the only incident that has come in public view and now the rooms are designed much better in new malls and shopping centers. Still, the basic common sense applies here as well and one shouldn't go over the line and all will be fine.
Old 9th January 2010, 14:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

There was another chainmail few years back warning about few textiles etc having the 2 way mirror(?) in dress trial rooms.
How to Tell if a Mirror Is Two Way or Not: 4 steps - wikiHow
Old 9th January 2010, 14:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Shocking shocking shocking !
Whatelse to say ? and that too happening in big malls like shoppers stop and big bazaar?
May be only way can be -whilst changing, switch off the lights and once all okay switch on the light and see the fitting is okay. Again repeat the act for next changing. But still cannot be 100% safe ?
Old 9th January 2010, 16:17   #8
BHPian

Jammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Whatelse to say ? and that too happening in big malls like shoppers stop and big bazaar?
May be only way can be -whilst changing, switch off the lights and once all okay switch on the light and see the fitting is okay. Again repeat the act for next changing. But still cannot be 100% safe ?

Maybe somebody should design photo jammers on the lines of mobile jammers so that no light signals reach the walls around you and one is shielded by some kind of waves.
Old 9th January 2010, 16:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

As technology is getting smaller and smarter, the misuse will keep getting creepier.

My cousin visiting from Singapore was describing a tiny/cheap chinese camera with SIM card which is available there. You can keep it anywhere you want and then call it via your 3G mobile phone. Then you can control the zoom, pan, etc from the calling 3G phone and view the image and even record it.

Can you imagine how all this can be misused?
Old 9th January 2010, 16:58   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Just got this in my mail. Not sure how true this is.

A few days ago, I received this text message:
Plz dnt use Trial room of BIG BAZAAR there r pinhole camera 2 make MMS of young girls. Evn in Mrk n Spncrs and Citicentre. So, Plz fwd 2al girls. Also fwd 2al boys who’ve sisters n girlfrnds.
Not men who've wives??
But jokes apart, although as someone mentioned, while the credibility of the info. on certain big-time stores mentioned needs to be proved, it's a shame if they have staff who involve in such things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Possible if the light switch is inside the changing rooms itself. In the case of most showrooms, the light switches are not accessible in the changing rooms, it's like a centrally-located connection for all lights!

The fake mirror is another thing to watch out for. When in a trial room at any clothes store, I always check the mirror inside; even if it doesn't pose a threat to me, it could to a lady/girl who'd use the same trial room some time. So better to have precaution beforehand, I feel.
Old 9th January 2010, 17:07   #11
BHPian

Gotta be careful. Has anybody tried to inform the management of the stores in question? Anyone in this forum from these stores?
Old 9th January 2010, 17:44   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't doubt that this happens, but such mails are mostly just spam.
Old 9th January 2010, 19:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

The way the email is written is typical of chain mails with a hint of truth and a lot of masala. may have been started to malign Shoppers Stop and Big bazaar.
However such practices are definitely there in smaller stores.
Old 9th January 2010, 20:48   #14
BHPian

There is very simple way to check if the mirror is rigged, put a finger nail on the mirror, if you see a blank distance between your nail and its reflection you are safe. If the reflection touches your nail, the mirror could be rigged from other side. Check this at trial rooms, hotels etc.
Old 9th January 2010, 21:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

You know what could be worse? Official & Covert surveillance of changing/bathrooms.

It's not that impossible
Walmart Sued for Secret Bathroom Surveillance - ABC News

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks