Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 10:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spoilsport cops stop Expo shows

The music was loud, the girls looked glamorous and the cars were, well, cars. Around noon, it all became a tad too heady for the wildly cheering crowds, or so the policemen on duty concluded.
They temporarily shut down the shows at what has been billed as the world’s biggest automotive exhibition at Pragati Maidan, leaving the organisers livid.
They are now threatening to take the show outside Delhi.
“Though we want to stay here, we will have to look for alternate sites because the show will only get bigger in 2012,” said Chandrajit Banerjee, director general of the Confederation in Indian Industry, one of the organisers.
“We may look at some alternative in the NCR itself and probably in Gurgaon,” he added.
If the show does move out of Delhi, it will be a big loss for India Trade Promotion Organisation, which is expected to make around Rs 28 crore from the Auto Expo.
The expo itself may lose any chance of being considered in the same league as the Geneva, Frankfurt, Detroit or Tokyo motor shows, the organisers said. It’s quite big with 2,100 companies from 30 countries participating this time (see box for more).
The police said the shutdown was temporary and only undertaken to control the crowds. A team of 15 police officers went around closing stage shows hosted by Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and Honda Motorcycles and Scooter India between 12 and 4 PM.
Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said, “The police closed the stalls for some time to prevent any untoward incident from happening.”
“Two of our Asimo (robot) shows were cancelled,” said a Honda spokesperson.

Spoilsport cops stop Expo shows- Hindustan Times
Old 11th January 2010, 10:17   #2
BHPian

Since when did police started acting on their own??
Old 11th January 2010, 10:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

That is outrageous! Don't our cops have any better things to do than this! There is absolutely no reason why the show should be stopped. If they wanted to control the crowds, then why not stop them at the entry after a certain limit is crossed?
Old 11th January 2010, 10:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

You can't dangle girls in front of Indian crowds and get away with it!
One the other hand if there were to be some untoward incident then we would be the first to blame the inefficiency of the Police and administration for bringing shame to our country in front of entire global media covering the event. IMHO the Police acted proactively.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 11th January 2010 at 10:28.
Old 11th January 2010, 10:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

As @Parm mentioned in the post """Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said, “The police closed the stalls for some time to prevent any untoward incident from happening.”""".This might be the reason. You never know what might start during these times when the atmosphere is hot. Police might have seen these situations many times.So they put a temporary stop
Old 11th January 2010, 10:31   #6
BHPian

How typical, instead of doing something usefull they have to spoil people having a good time just like a couple of for a stroll.all they needed was a cut of the profit being made which probably never reached the right hands in time so Temporary harassment to make people see light?
Old 11th January 2010, 10:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
You can't dangle girls in front of Indian crowds and get away with it!
One the other hand if there were to be some untoward incident then we would be the first to blame the inefficiency of the Police and administration for bringing shame to our country in front of entire global media covering the event. IMHO the Police acted proactively.
+1 to this.

And what about the traffic jams that this show creates. We again blame the police for not maintaining the traffic.

Better the show is shifted to outskirts of Delhi or NCR.
Old 11th January 2010, 10:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Can't a show can be organised without glamorous Girls and Loud Music?

In another word, yes the crowd number can be controlled by some entry restrictions?
Old 11th January 2010, 10:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

kudos to the indian police on acting proactively rather re-actively. There was a similar incident that happened last auto expo, but since the police did nothing the crowd went out of control and eventually the police had to lathi-charge the crowd out of the stall.

FYI the crowd went out of control because of the Nano Launch.

cheers,
ac
Old 11th January 2010, 10:55   #10
BHPian

isnt the auto expo already being shifted to commonwealth village from 2012??
Old 11th January 2010, 14:21   #11
BHPian

If the situation does look like it'll go unruly then this was a good step by the Police. I read about the unruly crowd behaviour when SRK and The Doctor had visited the AutoExpo, so i'd expect the Police were extra cautious.
No harm in that.
Old 11th January 2010, 14:42   #12
BHPian

Hi guys, I went to the expo yesterday( 10th Jan) and the crowds were massive and unruly.
The police even closed the Mercedes stall for about 15 minutes as the things were getting out of hand. Later on Batches of 1000 people each were let in once a batch came out in an orderly manner.
We must understand that Police has to take such measures to prevent situations like stampede, injury to people etc.
I know this is a free country and people can go wherever they want , whenever they want but people who are actually enthusiasts or / and are planning to buy a new car should visit the expo. what i mean is people were there with their toddlers 2-4 year olds and some were complete joint families. How rational is that?

Why not shift the Auto expo to the India International Expo centre at Greater Noida. It is huge and was built keeping in mind the Trade Fair and Auto expo.
Kudos to the police for acting proactively.
Old 11th January 2010, 18:13   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm not at all surprised and if the cops did shut down the Expo temporarily, they'd have good reason to. I was at the Expo on Tuesday & Wednesday, but seeing pictures of the crowd outside Thursday onward, the numbers would be impossible to manage.

There is already talk of the Expo being moved to another location. I'd say move it as far out of the city as possible. That way, only the serious folk would make it to the Auto Expo 2012.
Old 11th January 2010, 18:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Isn't it actually good that the police acted before there was a stampede or major incident?
If something major had happened cops would have been blamed too.
I guess they had no other option!
Can mods please change the thread title to ensure that the cops are not unnecessarily blamed.

And shouldn't this be in the official Auto Expo 2010 subforum?

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 11th January 2010 at 18:49.
Old 11th January 2010, 18:36   #15
BHPian

Its the mentality that should be changed.
In majority of the countries cars are well showcased with a girl beside them, My point being I dont see anything wrong in this, If there were some obscene live performances then I cannot comment. But then again it depends on how obscene the organizers decided the live performance should be. I am sure the organizers had a filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There is already talk of the Expo being moved to another location. I'd say move it as far out of the city as possible. That way, only the serious folk would make it to the Auto Expo 2012.
Yes, I strongly second GTO. We had visitors from all over the country and some foreign too. It wont hurt if the venue is shifted a few kms away.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks