Team-BHP - Campa Cola still available?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Campa Cola still available? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/74070-campa-cola-still-available-2.html)

well well memories...Torino...glodspot wish they re introduce them:)
am sure they will do well..

for instance in Mangalore/Dakshina kannada there are many local brands like "Joy,Diana" which are selling really well infact beter then pepsi and coke....

Nice nostalgia trip going on here! There was a soft drik called "Thrill", promoted by Kumar Gaurav, of all people. Anyone remember that? :)

OT: There's a website called www.vishalpatel.com which is full of nostalgic tales and anecdotes from the 80's. Worth checking out!

Cheers,
Vikram

Double 7 or 77 was introduced as the replacement for coca cola. The year was 1977. Campa Cola ads on TV are still fresh in my mind. Used to watch a programme called "Different Strokes", was sponsored by Campa Cola.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 1694885)
Who remembers a cola called Do It? Do it, because you want to... lol

Yep, cola in a glass bottle with red and blue letters on white I think! They used to advertise these in comic books those days.

Dixi - Cola ?? i used to love that . . missing it now

there used to be one more called bovento . Also Below is an interesting link that i found.

List of soft drinks by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 1694885)
Who remembers a cola called Do It? Do it, because you want to... lol

Now I know what that sticker in my dad's car meant. Did not know that there was a cola like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 1695071)
Double 7 or 77 was introduced as the replacement for coca cola. The year was 1977. Campa Cola ads on TV are still fresh in my mind. Used to watch a programme called "Different Strokes", was sponsored by Campa Cola.

We're ALL in it TOGEEETHER
for the fun of it

For the taste of it.

Campaa ORAAANGE flavor
That's the flavour of fun

That's the flavour of fun!

What a nostalgic trip. Now I've read everything on teambhp. Bovonto anyone? Remember it from days of old and was pleasantly surprised to see it in my last trip to Madurai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumanth_mk (Post 1695163)
Dixi - Cola ?? i used to love that . . missing it now

Ah! I remember Dixi Cola.. used to have it during childhood when we were in Dubai. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 1695215)
We're ALL in it TOGEEETHER
for the fun of it

For the taste of it.

Campaa ORAAANGE flavor
That's the flavour of fun

That's the flavour of fun!

Thank you Sam for refreshing my memory. I still remember the visuals in that ad. Watching in a colour TV was fun those days. :D

Sorry for the old times rant folks.

Campa Cola, Goldspot, Citra, Energee.
I still love Energee of that era. I believe it is
still available in some pockets in Pune.
Near Sambhaji Park, JM Road. Can anyone confirm ?

Thril, along with Sprint and Rush (or was it Crush?) was launched by McDowell's in the late 80s with the idea of using them for surrogate advertising. You must say it certainly beats playing cards or cut glasses. But the advent of Pepsi and Coke pushed these drinks out of the market. The spelling was "Thril" with one L, by the way. I don't remember Ms Munim plugging it, though I vaguely recall an ad on Doordarshan that kinda went "Thril-Thril-Thril... Thril-Thril-Thril... Thrilllll..."

Many of us might also remember Lehar Teem (a fizzy lemon drink) which came in with Pepsi around 1988 and hung around for a few years. But I think I'm the only one who remembers "Bajak", a soft drink popular in Kerala round about 1980. It was available in a spectacularly dodgy lime-green colour in addition to the regular orange and cola. And how come nobody mentioned the fast-vanishing raspberry fizz? Dukes and Pallonji are hard to come by in Mumbai but I had Rogers the other day at Britannia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS (Post 1694566)
As far as I know they are have demolished the factory in chennai (guindy) and they are building a new.so 2004 is of no chance.

Must have been fake Campa :D. I was at our village in Haryana in 2004 and went to the local drinks man. I wanted some large plastic (PET) bottles of drink (I think they hold a litre or 2). The guy pulled out large plastic bottles with Campa written on them. He had one which looked like a Cola type drink and another with orange liquid in it.

I think Campa Cola were independent. The company was owned by Charanjit Singh of Delhi who's family own a hotel in Connaught Place (I think).

Looks like I could have been correct if we read the following story. Us Haryanvis still have access to Campa.:thumbs up

Outfought in battle of bottles, Campa survives as a relic in CP shop

Outfought in battle of bottles, Campa survives as a relic in CP shop

On the fringes of Connaught Place’s Super Bazar, a tiny shack continues to hold the connecting threads to decades gone by. Located on the western end of the defunct Campa-Cola factory, the shop — run by employees of the company — sells the drink that was once one of the most popular aerated drinks across the country.

Today, there are no Campa drinks in the Capital, but this corner shop seems to defy reality.

After the Coca-Cola and Pepsi entered the country in the 1990s, Campa suffered major losses and eventually shut down in 2000. In 2003, its owners sold the franchise to a company called Satya Beverages and Distilleries, which now produces the soft drink in Hisar, Haryana.

The drinks available at the shop in Connaught Place are also sourced from the Hisar factory. And the range is complete with what you got in the eighties: Sun Dew, Campa Orange and, of course, Campa Cola — all of them displaying the once-iconic caption ‘The Fine Indian Taste’.

Rinku, the shop attendant, said: “Some people still come from faraway places to buy Campa. They say no other cola tastes as good.”

Newsline found a decent crowd when it visited the shop. “Every time I come to Connaught Place, I make it a point to visit this shop and drink Campa,” said Satbir Singh, a resident of Pitampura, West Delhi, who bought a two-litre pet bottle.

A company spokesperson said, “The drink is mostly sold in our target markets like Haryana and Himachal Pradesh.”

The Delhi factory, meanwhile, resembles a ghost building, with lonely spiral staircases and a lift that stopped working long ago. “All the machinery was sold — there is nothing inside but cobwebs and rats,” a former employee said.

Even today, former workers drop in to claim compensation. “One worker came just last week — he worked here almost 10 years ago,” said Balram Sharma, one of the three guards at the factory entrance. “He heard that some compensation was being given; we asked him to bring proof of employment and a picture.”

The guards draw a blank when asked what they are guarding, with all people and machinery from the factory long gone. “We are paid our salaries, and are asked to do this job,” Sharma said. “That is all that matters to us.”

Sharma and the other two guards are perhaps the last regular employees of the factory that once employed 1,000 people. “We are here today and might be gone tomorrow,” a second guard philosophised.

Outside, the alphabets on the Campa signboard are falling off, and soon this last physical relic of a long-dead cola may be gone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dushmish (Post 1694831)
And Double 7 is not 7Up. It was cola launched in North when Coke was chased out.

Coca-Cola was chased out when the Janata govt came to power and this drink was launched by Modern Bakeries if I remember right. A competition was held to suggest a name for the drink and the prize ( Rs 1 lac I think) was awarded to a minister in the coterie - Kamath - for suggesting the epoch making year of Janata victory as the name for the drink!:uncontrol It was indeed written as a stylized 77 on the bottle.

It was a pan-India launch and it came in two flavours - cola and orange.

That was also the year "Janata" meals were introduced in hotels at a price of one rupee!