Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:42   #1

Moving a Honda Accord from Mumbai to Kerala

Hi all,

I have a Honda accord fairly new one 2008 model, hardly run around 9000 km only.

Since I am leaving India for a long time and dont want to sell it (since I am sure I wont get a good price) am donating the car to my parents.

Can you advice of a good car moving service? What would the rates be like?
I have comprehensive insurance so would it cover in the event of any transit damage?

Kindly advice.

Thanks a lot!
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:08   #2
BHPian

Agarwal Packers and movers are considered to be the best. Try contacting them.
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:51   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

check the price of flying the vehicle down - it is not very much more than sending it by train as far as I ve been told.

You will any way need to take out transit insurance for the car if it is being transported either by road, rail or air when not under its own power.
it becomes a goods item when it is not being driven. Plus before it gets loaded you will have to completely empty the tank.

in my opinion the best way is to make a leisurely drive down to Kerala and take the opportunity of a nice driving holiday as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeLLe View Post
Hi all,

I have a Honda accord fairly new one 2008 model, hardly run around 9000 km only.

Since I am leaving India for a long time and dont want to sell it (since I am sure I wont get a good price) am donating the car to my parents.

Can you advice of a good car moving service? What would the rates be like?
I have comprehensive insurance so would it cover in the event of any transit damage?

Kindly advice.

Thanks a lot!
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:14   #4
BHPian

Why not drive it down? Did you consider that option?
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

cost should be approx 10-12k by road

delhi to chennai for an OHC cost me 10k
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Its not that long a drive if you look at it. I would strongly suggest that you drive it or get someone you know to drive it down for you.

It would probably cost the same for Petrol and you get to see your parents. Also there are a lot of chances that your car can get scratched, dented during the transit. Why take that risk?
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:34   #7
BHPian

A while back, I suggested a friend to transport his Swift from Siliguri to Delhi on the Maruti trailer (that returns back to Haryana). He followed my advice. In the end, both of us regretted it. His car was in bad shape when it got there. I suggest you drive/get it driven.
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, you can drive from Mumbai to Kerala. If you're little hesitant about the long drive, then you can hire a driver from Mumbai to assist you during the journey. Pay him a train fare back to Mumbai after reaching Kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
A while back, I suggested a friend to transport his Swift from Siliguri to Delhi on the Maruti trailer (that returns back to Haryana). He followed my advice. In the end, both of us regretted it. His car was in bad shape when it got there. I suggest you drive/get it driven.
+1 to that. When you transport, its a business & its not their posession. When you drive, its your posession & you know the preciousness.

Last edited by aargee : 2nd February 2010 at 17:40. Reason: Add more contents
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
In my opinion, you can drive from Mumbai to Kerala. If you're little hesitant about the long drive, then you can hire a driver from Mumbai to assist you during the journey. Pay him a train fare back to Mumbai after reaching Kerala.

+1 to that. When you transport, its a business & its not their posession. When you drive, its your posession & you know the preciousness.
Quite true. Its always better to keep one's car to oneself.
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
in my opinion the best way is to make a leisurely drive down to Kerala and take the opportunity of a nice driving holiday as well.
Was considering a drive down myself but I am a bit worried about the long drive of approx 1300+ km (according to Google Maps).
Nor do I know any of the roads outside Mumbai.

Also where would I find hotels and places to stay on the villages or small towns en route?

These are some of my concerns.

Agrawal movers asked for 21,000 rupees to move the damn thing!
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Was considering a drive down myself but I am a bit worried about the long drive of approx 1300+ km (according to Google Maps).
Nor do I know any of the roads outside Mumbai.

Also where would I find hotels and places to stay on the villages or small towns en route?

These are some of my concerns.

Agrawal movers asked for 21,000 rupees to move the damn thing!
1300 km is not a long distance IMO. If you can start early in the morning, say around 5 am or so, I am sure you would be able to reach the same day.
21k is a bit too high.
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:03   #12
BHPian

Nothing much bro, just check out some HVK sir's topic or send him a PM. He would be happy to help
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Donating the car ?? to your parents!

I trust it is a typo.

BTW to whom are you donating your Beemer, SLK & the Jeep

Last edited by khoj : 3rd February 2010 at 01:45.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_ View Post
1300 km is not a long distance IMO. If you can start early in the morning, say around 5 am or so, I am sure you would be able to reach the same day.
Wow so technically it should be possible to do this as a single day trip heh?
What about traffic conditions etc? Could I encounter a lot of it on NH4 and NH17?

Any idea on approximate driving hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Nothing much bro, just check out some HVK sir's topic or send him a PM. He would be happy to help
Nice I should search for those posts. Hoping it has some info on a KL road trip.
Old 3rd February 2010, 09:09   #15
BHPian

Driving down will be the easiest thing which you can do, If you are worried about driving yourself, ask a driver from Kerala to comedown to your place and go along with him.

if you need any driving direction you can always ask HVKumar, a living GPS.
Have a look at this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...sted-live.html

A "small" trip by HVK has done recently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks