Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2013, 13:25   #121
BHPian

Re: Relocation to Hyderabad. Need suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
In the other direction, we have Kun Hyundai Service centre in Gachibowli.
Thanks again. If a car is going to be a necessity, maybe she could start off with our 10-year-old Santro. Will need to decide whether to drive it down or send it by truck.
Old 2nd March 2013, 19:08   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Thanks again. If a car is going to be a necessity, maybe she could start off with our 10-year-old Santro. Will need to decide whether to drive it down or send it by truck.
Do a cost comparison between driving down and sending by truck. Truck should work out more economical once you factor in the wear and tear of driving down apart from 77/- per litre petrol.

After that do not miss out on doing a cost comparison between buying a 2nd hand car here (could even be a new Nano or even a 2nd hand one at that) versus getting your old car, paying life time road tax here and all such expenses. Buying here and selling it off while leaving may work out cheaper though will call for some initial investment.

My friend's daughter recently joined here on her first job. She first picked up a second hand Kinetic Honda and once she realised that she needed to have a car due to job requirements, she purchased a new Nano across the table. (She is yet to get a permanent driving license for the car and is managing on the temporary one from her home town).
Old 3rd March 2013, 18:26   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Do a cost comparison between driving down and sending by truck.
Thanks for your reply.
The transportation company has quoted 13k + 12% tax + 1% of declared value of car as insurance charges.
If I drive it down, petrol cost will probably be about 12k + hotel/motel stay 2 nights en route about 4k.
Not much cost difference. But I would certainly prefer spending more time with my daughter in Hyderabad than alone on the road.
Quote:
paying life time road tax here and all such expenses
I had completely forgotten about this aspect. Thanks for pointing it out. I went through some Team-bhp threads on this topic & they were scary.
Quote:
she purchased a new Nano across the table.
I think the Nano is a great idea.
Thanks once again.
Old 4th March 2013, 11:32   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
I suggest you better negotiate a good price and try to sell off your car at Kolkata itself. Since its almost 10 years old, there is no point bringing it down here and pay all those road taxes and stuff again. Also, its extremely difficult to change registration from one state to the other. I have had this miserable experience of running around RTOs for my bike's registration change. Since it was only a year old, I did not want to part ways with it.

More than the monetary aspect, it is much better from a peace of mind perspective. Who knows, you may get a very sweet deal on an AP registered used petrol car like Santro or i10 considering the sky-rocketing petrol prices.
Old 4th March 2013, 13:17   #125
BHPian

Here is my opinion.

Bringing the Santro over is not a bad idea at all. I'm not sure how good/new she is to driving, so let her use the old car here before investing in a new car. Also looking around for a decent used car/test drives etc. will take days and it would require you spending more time here and would be inconvenient. Regarding changing registration/road tax — you can use the car here without changing the registration number, you just need to pay the road tax in AP. Since it's a 10 year old car, the tax would be maximum 25K. Moreover you never know for how long she would be in Hyderabad. In case she is moving to another state, then it's better not to get stuck with an AP registered car and go through the whole selling hassle.

PS: I still drive around with my KL registered car without even paying the road tax since the past 11 months. I know it's just a matter of luck, but even though I wanted to be on the right side of the law, I was put off by a 55K road tax that I had to pay for my then 1.5 year old car. The whole interstate vehicle migration system is flawed, but that's another topic for discussion.
Old 4th March 2013, 15:08   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Regarding changing registration/road tax — you can use the car here without changing the registration number, you just need to pay the road tax in AP. Since it's a 10 year old car, the tax would be maximum 25K.
A friend of mine who did not want to change his car's number paid the life tax here and has displayed a xerox of the receipt on the front windshield and when ever he is stopped, he just points towards the xerox displayed and moves on.
Old 4th March 2013, 15:26   #127
BHPian

Thanks racer_ash, jayded & hyd_traveller for your replies.
I am posting some questions in the thread "Moving car between states - road tax refund etc" in the "Indian Car Scene" section & will be delighted if you reply there.
TIA
Old 10th March 2013, 00:08   #128
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, I need some urgent help here. I have an interview at the Centre of Excellence, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India in Hyderabad on the 14th of March. I need some information about the locations. i will be taking a flight from Kolkata. The following are my queries:
1) How far is the airport from this address--Centre of Excellence
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
"ICAI Bhawan"
Plot No 10 & 11, Nanakramguda, Financial District
Gachibowli, Hyderabad -500-019

2) I will be staying at the Andra Pradesh Tourism Hotel/Guest house in Hyderabad. So how far is the hotel from the Centre of Excellence? I need to reach there by 9.30 in the morning.

I know may be it is not the right place to post this but I need urgent help on this one. THanks in advance.
Old 10th March 2013, 09:17   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
1) How far is the airport from this address

2) I will be staying at the Andra Pradesh Tourism Hotel/Guest house in Hyderabad. So how far is the hotel from the Centre of Excellence?
1) 30 minutes away by cab.

2) Which hotel/guest house of AP Tourism? Without an address or at least the name, it is impossible to answer the query.
Old 10th March 2013, 09:29   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2) Which hotel/guest house of AP Tourism? Without an address or at least the name, it is impossible to answer the query.
Its Taramati, Baradari, Ibhrahimbagh, Hyderabad. This is what is given in the booking slip.
Old 10th March 2013, 10:05   #131
BHPian

Quote:
1) How far is the airport from this address

2) So how far is the hotel from the Centre of Excellence? I need to reach there by 9.30 in the morning.
Quote:

Quote:
Its Taramati, Baradari, Ibhrahimbagh, Hyderabad. This is what is given in the booking slip.
1) Around 30 km / 30 minutes by cab.

2) Around 10 km / 30 minutes by auto / 20 minutes by cab. Not sure of the availability of public transport in the Taramati Baradari area so do ensure to make an advance booking.
Old 10th March 2013, 10:20   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) Around 30 km / 30 minutes by cab.

2) Around 10 km / 30 minutes by auto / 20 minutes by cab. Not sure of the availability of public transport in the Taramati Baradari area so do ensure to make an advance booking.
Thanks a lot. We will probably book a cab from the hotel.
Old 10th March 2013, 10:53   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know may be it is not the right place to post this but I need urgent help on this one. THanks in advance.
Quote:
I think whoever booked the hotel ( Taramati Baradari) must have done it so its closer to your office

I cross Taramati Baradari everyday on my way to work and go to Gachibowli Financial District.

From Taramati Baradari to Financial District, its around 10kms and I take less than 10 minutes to reach as its a beautiful stretch to drive and hardly any traffic.

Btw, TB is very nice place to stay but, when you step out of the hotel, its like a highway and nothing around with less inhabitation. So getting a Auto ( only shared autos around) will be tough. So booking a cab is the only option.
Old 10th March 2013, 11:09   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I think whoever booked the hotel ( Taramati Baradari) must have done it so its closer to your office

I cross Taramati Baradari everyday on my way to work and go to Gachibowli Financial District.

From Taramati Baradari to Financial District, its around 10kms and I take less than 10 minutes to reach as its a beautiful stretch to drive and hardly any traffic.

Btw, TB is very nice place to stay but, when you step out of the hotel, its like a highway and nothing around with less inhabitation. So getting a Auto ( only shared autos around) will be tough. So booking a cab is the only option.
My mom booked the place but trust me she had no clue about these locations. Relieved to know that the place are not very far. Hope everything goes well. Thank a lot Mobike.
Old 23rd March 2013, 02:32   #135
BHPian

My situation is somewhat similar to @nura's daughter. I've just been posted at Hyderabad, after a very costly MBA. Got a pretty big EMI to service, and unfortunately I don't work for a good paymaster and my place of work is in Begumpet, close to the Shopper's Stop.

I'm a bachelor, and would stay so for at least a couple of years more. I am open to sharing a flat (not a room) or even a PG, though I won't stay with a family because I wouldn't want to be the one disturbing them at odd hours in the night.I can't cook for nuts and I am far too spoilt a brat to be doing his own laundry.

The Catch here is that I want to limit my living expenses within 15k including rent+maintenance+food+maid/cook+electricity+wifi+laundry+daily commute. I can't invest any money upfront to buy furniture, washing machine, fridge etc either. And for my daily commute, I plan to get myself a nano for 50-60k immediately, and get the Duke 390 once it's launched. Any penny saved after living and serving the emis will go towards buying a used civic in a two year horizon.

I did some recce thru sulekha/quikr/olx although i've never visited the locations. These are my options:
  1. Join some random dudes in a 3BHK around Begumpet and save on travel con being not many options to chose from
  2. Join some random dudes in a 3BHK in Madhapur/Hitech City/Kondapur pros being lots of options to chose from
  3. Join a PG in Madhapur/Hitech City for 13k+ as a one shot solution, but I wont be able to park my ever increasing fleet. Also I am wary of the quality of service at such places.
One definite con as far as joining the blokes in a 3BHK anywhere being the hassles of grocery shopping, maintaining a maid & cook and a probable upfront expenditure on basic furniture which would delay my nano by a month and I absolutely hate any form of public transport.

I know some of you would like to wring my neck already and the rest would be waiting with your hockey sticks and golf clubs drawn out to welcome me to your city , but incase any of the Hyd Bhpians feel like helping me out,please help me chose from one of the alternatives, or suggest me if there are better options which I haven't chanced upon. Also what would be the traffic like if I have to drive/ride from Begumpet to various parts of Hyd?

Last edited by aravindwarrier : 23rd March 2013 at 02:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks