Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2005, 22:15   #1
BHPian

22nd September - Help bring down the cost of petrol!!!

hi everyone - i got this email from a friend of mine - of course it sounds like something that will never work...but we can try - can't we...

Subject: DAMN PETROL.... PLEASE FWD TO EVERYONE IN UR ADDRESS BOOK,]

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF PETROL
FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON
THEIR STOCKPILES.
AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OVER 4.6
BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.
THEREFORE "THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 22nd " HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT
UP THEIR BEHIND " DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE
DROP OF PETROL THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY
PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.
WAITING ON THE GOVERNMENT TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO
HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB
NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF PETROL GOING UP BUT AT THE
SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE
FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH AFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS
SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING SUPPLIES MEDICAL SUPPLIES
ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE
WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD.
FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND
MAKE SEPTEMBER 22nd A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

We forward so many junk emails to many of our friends, now let us do it for
some useful cause to cut down the price of the petrol ...
Old 16th September 2005, 22:22   #2
BANNED

by how much do u think the companys will reduce the cost???? i agree 1 rupee is also alot but then dude all of us expect some big step...
Old 16th September 2005, 22:32   #3
BHPian

And do we actually think that the Indian government can do anything to cotrol prices...IMO not much. If the crude prices keep rising as they are then it would be as it is today.

PS: As far as I know from discussion with a couple of people that I know, prices in Great Britan are about equvalent to Rs. 75 to a litre and America's and also more expensive than we are. Our members from US/UK can confirm this too.
Old 16th September 2005, 22:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its not abt the conversion rate Nishant. its abt purachasing power. 1 euro is currently Rs:53.53. A litre of petrol (Ron 98) costs between 1.2 and 1.3 euros in France which translates to Rs 64.24 to 69.56. But in France you can't even buy a bus ticket for 1.2Euros where as in India you can have a decent meal for Rs65. Thtas why i feel fuel costs in india hit harder than the ones in Europe. And americans pay abt half of that in Europe yet they complain more abt the high prices.
Old 16th September 2005, 22:59   #5
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_kingpin
PS: As far as I know from discussion with a couple of people that I know, prices in Great Britan are about equvalent to Rs. 75 to a litre and America's and also more expensive than we are. Our members from US/UK can confirm this too.
Wrong. In US a gallon of petrol costs around $ 2 (recently it touched a max of $2.5) and a US gallon is 3.79 litres. That means a litre is roughly Rs.27
Old 16th September 2005, 23:09   #6
BHPian

We all need to think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
Its not abt the conversion rate Nishant. its abt purachasing power. 1 euro is currently Rs:53.53. A litre of petrol (Ron 98) costs between 1.2 and 1.3 euros in France which translates to Rs 64.24 to 69.56. But in France you can't even buy a bus ticket for 1.2Euros where as in India you can have a decent meal for Rs65. Thtas why i feel fuel costs in india hit harder than the ones in Europe. And americans pay abt half of that in Europe yet they complain more abt the high prices.
Yup this point hits the nail on its head.

And yes when we look at the overall scheme of events, it is important to consider the subsidies being dolled out by the goverment of essential items that we generally dont get affected by. Cooking Gas, Kerosene, Sugar, hosts of schemes for rural India, education for the poor and the list sure is endless.

We can see the defference in the prices of rail tickets for AC and general compartments.

Tax is payed by a handfull in a country worth 100 crores. Expectations need to be managed for all the 100. If all of us stop thinking "What Is there for ME" we may be a much better country to live in.

Population, Politics and Greed...If these problems are dealt with, Indias 90% problems would be resolved

Last edited by nishant_kingpin : 16th September 2005 at 23:19.
Old 16th September 2005, 23:09   #7
BANNED

u cant compare fuel prices of india to other countries...even if it is double of india in other countries....think of the incomes in india ....when people from the us come to india..they find india so cheap...my family lives in dubai..even from there when they come here...they find everything out here cheap...like in mcdonals if u convert a burger just costs 4 dhiramz...over there its around 8...dinner at some nice in mumbai for two costs 100-150 dhiramz...there same place would cost 200-250...there are cheap places also obviously...but if same kind ofplaces are compared...india is much cheaper...actually sometimes i feel there is no point thinking of fuel prices al the time..people say in uae fuel is so cheap and stuff like that...guys..why dont you all ever think that water is free in india...we all are getting free water..and we waste it like hell....
Old 16th September 2005, 23:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

its not about the fuel cost

its about how much part of the earning goes into fuel bills

besides I got reply to this same mail from some other group
very nicely written

i am posting part of the mail

Quote:
Perhaps the best way to go about it is to use fuel smartly and not waste it. Not buying fuel for a day will not help at all.... Because your basic premise is wrong. If I was not buying fuel on 22nd, I would stock up on the 21st. So how are we impacting the industry or "sticking anything up anybody's anything!"??? Or for that matter how are we even protesting.
Old 16th September 2005, 23:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Population, Politics and Greed...If these problems are dealt with, Indias 90% problems would be resolved

Easier said than done, unfortunately.
Old 16th September 2005, 23:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Guys the debate is definitely not about other stuff being cheap here...If its cheap in india its purely coz of the production cost of those products. Now, the government claims that the hike in fuel prices are due to global oil pool pressure but the fact is not at all that ironically!!! The fact is that the government is not ready to reduce the exise charges on every barrel that is purchased due to high earnings out of it which they have gotten use to...Politicians make millions of rupees maintaining 2-3 swiss bank accounts stuff, how do you guys think they are doing it?? One more thing, soome one mentioned our tax accounts for 100crores,,,not really...Our national annual tax accounts in thousands of crores!!!
Old 17th September 2005, 00:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

*** happenin!

Well guys i just hope that this strike does not lead to a hike in petrol prices itself to compensate for 22nd Sep! You never know Indian Gov!
Old 17th September 2005, 00:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Well guys i just hope that this strike does not lead to a hike in petrol prices itself to compensate for 22nd Sep! You never know Indian Gov!
That was a KILLLLERRRRRR
Old 17th September 2005, 00:57   #13
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Price in the US (tristate area) is arnd $3.3/gallon. Even if you convert it, it comes to arnd 38-40bucks a liter. But inspite of prices doubling in about a year or so, people continue to waste petrol like crazy & then complain about gas prices.

& not buying petrol for one day isn't going to hurt anyone....even the oil companies know that. You could maybe talk about a week or so but thats impossible to do !
Old 17th September 2005, 01:55   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ever thought of calculating a few basic ratios: something as simple as "avg. salary of a resident of the countryrice per litre of petrol", solve the same for India,U.K. and the U.S.A.

now sit down and do some more conversions and discover concepts called "buying power" and "cost of living".

manson.
Old 17th September 2005, 02:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

i think these compalints are not justified.how much more does one have to pay.even if u use 500LTRs per month(which is very outrageous) maximum one will pay is 1000Rs extra(which i think is piece of cake for a person who can afford 500LTr of gas/month).for the average user makimum one has to shellout 100 to 200 RS extra per month.now is that so hard.

what can the oil companies do when the cost of crude oil has gone from 20$/barrel to 70$/barrel in 3-4 years,whereas the gas price has increased by 8-10 Rs.

the oil companies are already in the red due to this subsidised costing.they can do anything more,atleast ur cooking gas costs the same.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 17th September 2005 at 02:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks