Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your daily drink?
Coffee 17 27.87%
Tea 20 32.79%
Both 16 26.23%
No habit of both 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 14:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Have you ever tried giving up coffee/tea?

Since last week I gave up the morning cup of tea.

I am talking about the bed coffee/tea which you have immediately after waking up. I did this because an advice from my doctor - I've been having acidity related problems and lack of appetite after drinking a tea in the morning. Eating breakfast had had become more of a time killing task than something you do to satisfy hunger.

Initial three days were not good at all. I felt sleepy and less energetic in the mornings until I had my dose after breakfast.

So the results after a week? So far it has been a welcome change. I feel hungry in the morning, and I can actually eat a heavier breakfast that I used to. The overall acidity levels have come down and my stomach is in a good condition after all. The urge to have tea after waking up has gone and I am still energetic in the morning.

Now I am having only two cups of tea, one in the morning after breakfast and one at 3PM. So no withdrawal symptoms or anything. But it's not over with this, Now I am contemplating on giving up tea and coffee entirely, or at least on a trial basis to see how it feels like after a week or so.

Anybody here who have given up tea/coffee completely?
Coffee addicts, Have you ever imagined yourself giving up the habit?
Old 18th February 2010, 14:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Since I am from Malnad region I am accustomed for Coffee. But Never tried the bed coffee. Frankly speaking I used to have min of 5 cups of strong coffee in a day. But gradually it changed to 2 cups. One after breakfast and one in the evening. But never ever felt or imagined without coffee.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Voted coffee - my favourite; anyway I'm not addicted to coffee so no question of leaving the habbit. I can survive without coffee & at the same time I hate the instant coffee. In India, I like coffee with milk & sugar, otherwise a freshly brewed plain coffee without a sugar will do (just love it).

Last edited by aargee : 18th February 2010 at 14:41.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:58   #4
BHPian

I am suffering from Migrain headaches, so I need a coffee or tea when I am down with headaches. Else I usually have 2 cups of coffe/tea in a day.

Clevermax, I would try your method. I am not feeling hungry in morning and I end of having breakfast just for the sake of having.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Now I am having only two cups of tea, one in the morning after breakfast and one at 3PM.
Do you have your tea with milk?
Old 18th February 2010, 15:07   #6
Team-BHP Support

For me Coffee is a religion. Really. Those who know me, know better than to ask. :-)

The process of waking uyp at 5:30 to grind fresh beans, measure them and make my first cuppa is the one thing I can depend on being left alone for. The rest of my day is just me lurching from one crisis to the next.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
In the morning, yes. In the afternoon, still worse - milk powder - from the stupid tea vending machine at office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The process of waking uyp at 5:30 to grind fresh beans, measure them and make my first cuppa is the one thing I can depend on being left alone for. The rest of my day is just me lurching from one crisis to the next.
I wish I could do that.. (The waking up at 5:30 part alone )

Last edited by clevermax : 18th February 2010 at 15:12.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:08   #8
BHPian

I enjoy coffee more than tea, but only if it is filter coffee (don't like instant stuff but sometimes you have to make do).
For the last few years though, on most mornings I have milk (with some cocoa/milo/complan etc) on most week-days and a couple of cups of tea/coffee during the day.

No addiction but I will definitely miss it if I were to stop completely.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
IMO coffee without milk doesn't taste good. BUt it depends on some people life style also like they prefer black coffee. But said that black tea is great. May be black coffee might also be great but not my taste and still hopeless is that instant coffee(for me though)
Old 18th February 2010, 15:23   #10

giving up !!!! I dont know if I will fit in there. Indeed after seeing the title I could not hold back myself without replying ( yes I have been a silent listener, blaming that on my laziness), as this is one such question that I ask myself every day.

I have been trying to quit my coffee drinking for the last 3-4 years after seeing a shocking stare from my doctor after my confession quote "I am not a coffee addict, I happen to drink some 15-20 cups of coffee a day, how can that make someone an addict". Yes it took me another year more to realise the after effects, and then have been seriously trying to quit this nice habit. Somehow got it reduced it to 2-3 cups a day of coffee and another 2-3 cups of tea (in office). But still I get my cramps and have to go through a strong decision to keep me away from getting yet another steaming cup of coffee...

--mano..
Old 18th February 2010, 15:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

I take both coffee and tea. Tea in the morning with breakfast and Coffee in the afternoon.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

I grew up drinking black tea and black coffee. During my college days I used to drink strong black coffee and sometimes only the coffee decoction.

These days I have a cup of tea (with milk) in the morning. And no tea/coffee after that. And yes, I can live without tea or coffee.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well, was a big coffee fan for many years. Have recently stopped drinking coffee - even bed-coffee. Actually helps me have a better breakfast!
Old 18th February 2010, 16:57   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I never really *need* tea per se, but enjoy my two cups per day. One after getting to work and the other at about 1600 hours. Nope, it's not the first drink in the morning either. That's juice followed by good ol' chocolate milk.

Coming back to the question : My sister got this green herbal tea box to work sometime back, and both of us had switched over completely for 6 - 8 months. Don't remember why & how I came back to regular tea. Try the green herbal stuff, it was thoroughly refreshing (still have it off and on) and a worthy alternative to traditional tea.

I like Tea. But don't need it.

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2010 at 16:59.
Old 18th February 2010, 17:29   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I need my 1 Litre of water and 1 hot cuppa coffee everyday morning. This also works as great facilitator towards potty as well

After that, if i dont drink a hot beverage the whole day ( which usually happens), i am still good for the day.

I dont enjoy tea that much. And, come to think of it, i can live without tea but, spare me that one cup of coffee atleast!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks