Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 15:36   #16
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Here's how the safari bit works. The forest department will permit us to go in a Scorpio/Bolero/Jeep/Gypsy type of vehicle on the trails.

They charge Rs 500 per vehicle for 5 members. A sixth member per car would be a forest official

So we need 6 vehicles for 30 members @5 members per vehicle (not counting the forest official who joins every car)

Forest department has two Gypsies (for which they won't charge extra)
There's my Jeep
Khalid Khan's Gypsy

We need three more of the Scorpio/Bolero/Jeep/Gypsy variety

For two safaris it works out to Rs 200 per head. Mind you this is only toward a forest depart entrance fee.

So this is how the costs add up per member:

Cottage accom (@ Rs 500 twin sharing)

Rs 250 accom+ Rs 125(first day 3 meals) + Rs 75 (second day 2 meals) + Rs 200 = Rs 650 per member

Cottage accom (@ Rs 400 twin sharing)

Rs 200 accom+ Rs 125(first day 3 meals) + Rs 75 (second day 2 meals) + Rs 200 = Rs 600 per member

Dorm bed accom

Rs 50 accom+ Rs 125(first day 3 meals) + Rs 75 (second day 2 meals) + Rs 200 = Rs 450 per member

Transport to/from Mannanur needs to be arranged independently

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Nikhil (traveloholic): 2 members, 1 cottage
Nikhil, there are only 8 cottages. But lets wait and see in the final list if something falls vacant. In any case the dorm accom is always there.

Last edited by DKG : 21st February 2010 at 15:38.
Old 21st February 2010, 15:50   #17
BHPian

Ok DKG, lets wait and watch. In case, a couple of people are willing to join, I would love to opt for the Dorm thing. Anyways, lets keep the cottage thing open too. I just wanted to enquire, is it acceptable if a person is coming on a 2 wheeler. I cannot confirm the availability of my car, either might have my santro with me or would have to join in on my Bajaj Avenger. How safe is a two wheeler?
Old 21st February 2010, 19:18   #18
BHPian

DKG, please count me in. I have already mailed you and also want to confirm here. Updated the list at the bottom. Also would like to clarify if spouses are allowed or everyone's bringing only male friends.

Confirmed member list

DKG : 2 members, 1 cottage
Farooque Khan: 2 members, 1 cottage
Milecruncher : 2 members, 1 cottage
Khalid Khan : 6 members, 3 cottages
Fazal Ali Adil : 2 members, 1 cottage
Devidas : 2 members, 1 cottage
Nikhil (traveloholic): 2 members, 1 cottage
Saleem: 1 + 1 (will confirm my Tuesday) - Can bring my Alto!

Tentative member list

Hyd_traveller : 1 member
Old 21st February 2010, 21:47   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian

To take it a step ahead a small group of people concerned about conservation met this evening and a proposal mooted to ensure water and salt licks are maintained through summer at waterholes created by the forest department.

This is an initiative which needs to be funded by citizens as the forest department may not be able to fund the activity. The idea is to allow animals to remain in their respective habitats and not need to shift to the riverside for water supply. Given the vast expanse of the reserve its imperative that watering holes are maintained across the reserve. We plan on adopting a sector and maintain it and slowly grow the activity

During our visit on 6/7th we'll make an assessment of the number of waterholes in the core area nearest to Mannanur. We will also determine the number of tankers needed through summer, the costing and work out the logistics of ensuring this service is provided.

This is a simple and non controversial activity and it will find acceptance from all concerned with the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
How safe is a two wheeler?
I have done Srisailam twice on my VFR (2 wheeler). Its safe only as long as you are extra alert on people coming across your way and are able to slow down. Lets see how the people add up on the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
DKG, please count me in. I have already mailed you and also want to confirm here. Updated the list at the bottom. Also would like to clarify if spouses are allowed or everyone's bringing only male friends.
Yes Saleem it appears like quite a few would be coming with their spouses. Its best when any activity is a family affair so everyone at home is involved and its more meaningful.

Last edited by DKG : 21st February 2010 at 22:00.
Old 21st February 2010, 23:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Yes Saleem it appears like quite a few would be coming with their spouses. Its best when any activity is a family affair so everyone at home is involved and its more meaningful.
I would be coming with my wife but if its intended to be a all guys affairs, then I'll need to drop out
Old 21st February 2010, 23:28   #21
BHPian

Well I'm having second thoughts about bringing wifey as cottages are already booked! But that's fine, I'll bring along a friend for this time! :-)
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:55   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I'm having second thoughts about bringing wifey as cottages are already booked! But that's fine, I'll bring along a friend for this time! :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I would be coming with my wife but if its intended to be a all guys affairs, then I'll need to drop out
Its a family program. We'll know just a few days before on the final count on cottage bookings. But as it stands they are signed up for
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:59   #23
BHPian

I am travelling whole of March, but will love to join for subsequent trips whenever planned.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Here's how the safari bit works. The forest department will permit us to go in a Scorpio/Bolero/Jeep/Gypsy type of vehicle on the trails.

They charge Rs 500 per vehicle for 5 members. A sixth member per car would be a forest official

So we need 6 vehicles for 30 members @5 members per vehicle (not counting the forest official who joins every car)

Forest department has two Gypsies (for which they won't charge extra)
There's my Jeep
Khalid Khan's Gypsy

We need three more of the Scorpio/Bolero/Jeep/Gypsy variety
You can count my Bolero for the same as well.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

DKG great initiative! i hope we have such activities regularly and in all locations...

i hope someone start such initiative around "western ghats" too...
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:31   #26
BANNED

@DKG: Inspirational stuff. I am keenly watching this thread and how it works out. Best of luck in your efforts, I am sure this is going to start a trend for all to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Why dont we take a lead? I have been thinking of this for sometime now. Everyone going there looks only at the beaches and the Amboli and other known ghats. We can work something out on the same lines as DKG above.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:36   #27
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Why dont we take a lead? I have been thinking of this for sometime now. Everyone going there looks only at the beaches and the Amboli and other known ghats. We can work something out on the same lines as DKG above.
Just do it guys!! We need to make some beginning and a simple one is to make use of eco tourism initiatives taken by the local forest department and promote it for them by taking friends and family over.

Another simple initiative we are trying to execute is provision of water for wild animals during summer months. Its a relatively low cost initiative and can be a citizen sponsored activity.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:03   #28
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Confirmed member list

DKG : 2 members, 1 cottage, Jeep
Farooque Khan: 2 members, 1 cottage
Milecruncher : 2 members, 1 cottage, Bolero
Khalid Khan : 6 members, 3 cottages, Gypsy
Fazal Ali Adil : 2 members, 1 cottage
Devidas : 2 members, 1 cottage
Nikhil (traveloholic): 2 members,
Saleem: 1 + 1 (will confirm my Tuesday) Alto
Rajkumar Goli : 1 member, Tata TL

Total count : 21 members

Tentative member list

Hyd_traveller : 1 member

Last edited by DKG : 22nd February 2010 at 12:07.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:37   #29
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The following information is based on feedback of forest department officials.

There are approximately 25 tanks that the forest division at Mannanur maintains within the forest for water for animals

They have their own 10000 litre tanker and a driver on duty.

It costs approximately 300 litres of diesel a month to replenish water in a 3-5 days cycle

So approximately Rs 11000 per month is the expense of ensuring water for animals is provided.

Sadly at the moment the tanks are dry.

Once we work out the logistics of how we ensure the money gets spent on diesel expenses and water is actually filled in, we'll launch an initiative to raise some funds and execute this program.

Suggestion: I think between us we need to chalk out a calendar of visits by volunteers, visiting once every weekend, to monitor the progress. Unless we audit the process it won't work. Shared between us all, we can easily monitor the situation with small groups planning visits weekly.

Last edited by DKG : 22nd February 2010 at 12:41.
Old 22nd February 2010, 22:14   #30
BHPian

DKG, loved the idea of adopting a sector and also the plan to replenish the waterholes.

When we talk about Mannanur, this area is very much like a small village so when adopting a sector we should probably look at an area which is farther away from this village. I don't think any wildlife would/should come so close to this town. Also, keeping wildlife away from the town would prevent attacks on cattle and humans, which if happens, will not be good for both the parties involved.

We should probably draw up some plan to reduce the cattle menace and educate villagers not to graze cattle around the forests. I believe Fazal sir might have some good idea in this regard as he has shared the same concern in some of his earlier threads.

But yes, let's plan the initiative in a step by step basis but at the same time let's have the further course of action in our list so that we know exactly what to do next.

Cheers.

Most Viewed