Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 22:02   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Had an extremely fruitful meeting with the officials of the forest department regarding our visit.

Good start, hopefully we are mobilising some field action which really will help make a difference

Apart from this there is a small note to all and I request this be adhered to strictly

The forest officials have requested that all members of our group stick to the program and not deviate as per individual wishes. Please note that entry into forests is a restricted activity and only the planned trek and safari routes must be adhered to. Once in the forest NO DEVIATION from the route will be allowed.

Its my sincere request to all members to please help in making this experience extremely postive not just for ourselves but for the forest officials too.

I have a great feeling about this camp. It just might become the permanent feature of our Tiger Reserve.
Deepak sir, great news. Very encouraging especially when the forest officials cooperate and are eager to help. Together a lot can be achieved.

Just one suggestion is that now that we have so many options on what to do, let's decide beforehand and stick to the schedule. Else last minute changes/decisions might make things a bit disorganized and chaotic.
Old 25th February 2010, 22:07   #77
BHPian

Just one more thing I forgot to ask. When you say 'trek' is that on foot? If yes, how safe would it be to trek through the jungle on foot, especially with bears lurking around,. Frankly speaking I really don't have any problem and would love to trek through the jungle, but since we have ladies in the group so wanted to know if that's on foot or how?
Old 25th February 2010, 22:09   #78
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Folks this is a family outing. Make every effort to come with your spouses as the issues are so deeply interesting. Tribal families and their hardships, threats to a delicately balanced forest, issues about livestock and how one can help.

To top it all moments of pristine beauty and tranquility as you observe wildlife in their natural habitat, the enchanting sounds of a jungle, the aroma of flowering plants and so much more really should be shared by people who are near and dear to us. Please don't hesitate to come with your family
Old 25th February 2010, 22:28   #79
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Deepak sir, great news. Very encouraging especially when the forest officials cooperate and are eager to help. Together a lot can be achieved.

Just one suggestion is that now that we have so many options on what to do, let's decide beforehand and stick to the schedule. Else last minute changes/decisions might make things a bit disorganized and chaotic.
Only reason why I listed all options is I didn't want any of you to feel that you didn't have an option to decide to do something different. Please feel free to develop a consensus. I agree it would make a lot more sense to freeze our program and not have too many changes there as it would fragment the group. My only request is lets not cut out the forest revival bit which could be some garbage collection, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
When you say 'trek' is that on foot? If yes, how safe would it be to trek through the jungle on foot, especially with bears lurking around,. Frankly speaking I really don't have any problem and would love to trek through the jungle, but since we have ladies in the group so wanted to know if that's on foot or how?
Yes Saleem a trek would always be on foot. You have raised extremely valid points. Which is why I listed the options. What we could do is those who can't handle the strenous activity of a trek can opt for a leisurely drive to a lovely view spot overlooking the Krishna and hills sloping into the river

One of the trek routes is a steep climb to the Rudrapratap Fort. These uphill climbs look easy but can be very taxing. BTW the treks are from Mannanur and you won't encounter many animals this close, maybe, but highly unlikely. We will have forest staff with us so you needn't worry too much about safety. Ofcourse on any walk in the wild you have to stay alert to snakes etc. For the most part I wouldn't worry too much. It may be a bit taxing/workout so please be forewarned. If you are physically very fit then it won't tire you too much, but if you are not used to exerting yourself it can sap you.

In any case I have a 80 year old mother to cater to so a trek is out for me, perhaps we'll opt for the garbage cleaning and the next day a drive to the view spot.

The Malleelathirtham waterfall is too beautiful. Its in a ravine, totally hidden, huge trees covering the forest floor, you climb about 400 odd steep steps down. The view that unfolds is enchanting. Mind you for the beauty you will experience the walk back up those stairs will drain half your joy but its worth it.

BTW we can always do the treks and the falls on another trip if you guys like. This trip can be a pure Forest Revival Camp trip with some serious work done. I am game with whatever you guys decide. After all all of you must have fun and want to visit the forests of Srisailam again and again with more friends and family. So do go ahead and build a consensus.

If each one of you deeply enjoys this trip then I am banking on you coming back with a totally new group of 30 people, be it office colleagues or family or friends. Need that domino effect to multply

Last edited by DKG : 25th February 2010 at 22:38.
Old 25th February 2010, 23:00   #80
Senior - BHPian

I haven't been to Sri Sailam before so please guide me in terms of where do we assemble and say even if we start at 6 am what time do we reach the Forest Check Post?

Cheers
Old 26th February 2010, 08:21   #81
BHPian

After carefully following each and every post on this thread, I realised that coming alone (due to ongoing exams) on 6th/7th may not be the best idea since I can always go for a subsequent trip with family (wife and kid).

So, hyd-traveller shifts from tentative list to regret list for the trip scheduled for 6th/7th Mar 2010 - and - to confirmed list as 1+1+1 to the next trip (is it being scheduled for 13th/14th Mar 2010?).

With regards to any help from Aircel, forget it. Anyone who has a marketing management degree would tell you that the "1411" campaign by Aircel is nothing more than an advertising opportunity for themselves to create a brand recall in public eye. Just sit back and think, the moment you utter the word "tiger" you end up visualising "Aircel". That is the power of advertising which is being used by Aircel to further their business.
Old 26th February 2010, 09:25   #82
Senior - BHPian

Addition from my side

Confirmed Members
DKG : 2 members, 1 cottage, Jeep
Farooque Khan: 2 members, 1 cottage
Milecruncher : 3 members, 1 cottage, Bolero
Khalid Khan : 6 members, 3 cottages, Gypsy
Fazal Ali Adil : 2 members, 1 cottage
Devidas : 2 members, 1 cottage
Nikhil : 2 members,
Saleem: 4 members, Alto or Estilo
Rajkumar Goli : 1 member, Tata TL
Rajesh : 2 members, Scorpio
Highwaylover : 1 member, Getz
BBlost: 2 members. (My wife coming along) *

Total count : 28 members

Tentative member list
Srimath : 2 members, Palio

Rides for Safari:
DKG: Jeep
Milecruncher: Bolero
Khalid Khan: Gypsy
Rajkumar Goli: Tata TL
Rajesh: Scorpio

Other Cars:
Saleem: Alto or Estilo
Highwaylover: Getz
BBLost: Wagon R.

There is an addition from my side and if extra bedding is available, will be able to fit into 1 cottage itself. Also If we are car-pooling, I have one place available in my car.
Old 26th February 2010, 09:27   #83
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Confirmed members

DKG : 2 members, 1 cottage, Jeep
Farooque Khan: 2 members, 1 cottage
Milecruncher : 3 members, 1 cottage, Bolero
Khalid Khan : 6 members, 3 cottages, Gypsy
Fazal Ali Adil : 2 members, 1 cottage
Devidas : 2 members, 1 cottage
Nikhil : 2 members,
Saleem: 4 members, Alto or Estilo
Rajkumar Goli : 1 member, Tata TL
Rajesh : 2 members, Scorpio
Highwaylover : 1 member, Getz
BBlost: 2 members. (My wife coming along) *

Total count : 29 members

Tentative member list
Srimath : 2 members, Palio

Rides for Safari:
DKG: Jeep
Milecruncher: Bolero
Khalid Khan: Gypsy
Rajkumar Goli: Tata TL
Rajesh: Scorpio

Other Cars:
Saleem: Alto or Estilo
Highwaylover: Getz
BBLost: Wagon R.

Going back to the drinking water initiative while the immediate solution of filling tanks with tankers seems to be the only option I was thinking about a long term solution, something which the government can apply to all reserves across India.

Assuming each square km of land needs one large water hole, the Srisailam Tiger Reserve would need 350 water holes. As you can see its absurd to attempt to fill all waterholes with tankers. We have to have a solution which is long term and super efficient.

We have a massive perennial source of all the water you desire from the Srisailam reservoir. I feel the best solution is the creation of large water tanks at the high points of the reserves to which water can be pumped. Srisailam generates power so there's no shortage of electricity. From the larger feeder tanks through gravity feed the water can be linked directly through pipelines to individual waterholes with a ball cork system that enables the waterhole to be full at all times without need for human effort.

All it takes is the effort of a 5 year old to throw a electric switch to run pumps that fill up the feeder tanks.

Once such a network of waterholes, pipelines, feeder tanks and pumping station is in place we have a permanent solution to the water needs of the entire wildlife population.

I'll try to do a rough estimation of the costs, should be something a state government can easily fund.

Last edited by DKG : 26th February 2010 at 09:33.
Old 26th February 2010, 09:51   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
My only request is lets not cut out the forest revival bit which could be some garbage collection, please.

Yes Saleem a trek would always be on foot....

The Malleelathirtham waterfall is too beautiful....

This trip can be a pure Forest Revival Camp trip with some serious work done. I am game with whatever you guys decide.
Deepak ji, I believe most members of the group might not be aware of which fun activity would be good, treks or trips to view points, etc. I suggest that you and other more experienced members chalk out a plan which would involve both fun and serious work.

I know treks are always on foot , but since we are talking about jungles, I thought you were referring to safari trips rather than on foot so just wanted to confirm.

Mallelateertham is becoming more of a tourist spot so in this trip I think we can prefer going to places which we usually can't go as tourists. But again, it is entirely up to what the majority thinks.

I would suggest the following, if people don't mind me doing so...

Saturday
9:30 AM - 10:00 AM - Breakfast

10AM-1PM - Group Ice breaking and Revival activity (preferably planting saplings)

1PM - 2PM - Lunch

2PM-4PM - continue revival activity/trek/trip to any view point (whatever seems feasible)

4:30PM-6:30PM - Safari/wildlife sightings

7PM - 8PM - Fazal sir can indulge us with some pics, personal experiences and some interesting stories. Deepak sir can share further details/plans on what to look forward to from this group in future meets, etc.

Sunday
6AM - 9AM - Safari/wildlife sighting/visit waterholes and make a quick audit of which ones take priority.

9AM-9:30AM - Breakfast

9:30AM - 1PM - Revival Activity (preferably garbage cleaning)

1PM - 2PM - Lunch

2PM-4PM - continue revival activity/trek/trip to any view point (whatever seems feasible)

4:30PM - Depart for home.

Would be great if you can arrange a meeting with forest officials some where in the schedule. They can share their concerns, we can give our inputs, a healthy discussion would be good to bring forth some ideas and talk about the feasibility of implementing any of the ideas.
Old 26th February 2010, 10:23   #85
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Saleem since summer is just ahead I realised saplings won't survive. So perhaps tree planting can be done actively during the monsoon season.

This time around garbage collection seems like the most viable option, and something you will realise as vital to the health of the reserve
Old 26th February 2010, 10:54   #86
BHPian

for people who are coming this side for the first time, here is a pic of mallelateertham. You can actually have a nice swim in that water. But i am not sure if there will be as much water now.

Please Help in Saving AP's Forests and Wildlife-dsc00300.jpg
Old 26th February 2010, 11:05   #87
Team-BHP Support

DKG: A request.

Can you please confirm on the date and time for departure for this trip.
Eagerly looking forward to this trip.

I was a scout during school and actively participated in the camps.
Well those camps were held at a nearby open space inside the Theosophical Society. But used be a lot of fun.
A couple of us were quite close to our Teacher Mr. Jacob. He was a gem of a guy and I miss him so much. May he rest in peace.
He would get some of us boys to the camp a day prior to the actual trip. We would setup the tents and all that. Dinner would be cooked by us. He would teach us the camping way of cooking. Wheat dough made into long strips. The strips would then be wound up on thin wet sticks. Placed on top of a fire. A fish cleaned and gutted, rubbed with some rock salt, wrapped in foil and newspapers. Then thrown into the fire for some time.

People bringing torches, don't forget spare set of batteries.
I have done that mistake once before.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:09   #88
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Can you please confirm on the date and time for departure for this trip.
March 6th, Saturday, departure for Mannanur from Hyderabad at 6 am
Old 26th February 2010, 11:30   #89
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I haven't been to Sri Sailam before so please guide me in terms of where do we assemble and say even if we start at 6 am what time do we reach the Forest Check Post?

Cheers
Mannanur is 135 kms from Hyderabad.

Route

Charminar
Falaknuma
Barkas
Maheshwaram
Kadthal
Amangal
Veldanda at 12 kms after Amangal
Bypass road to Srisailam 5.3 kms after Veldanda or 5.5 kms before Kalwakurty
Turn left at junction 5.1 kms after turn for bypass road
Turn right for Srisailam 5 kms from previous turn
Dindi
Turn left at Hajjipur 12 kms from Dindi reservoir
Mannanur

I suggest we not attempt to coordinate everyone meeting at one place and going, invariably a lot of people end up waiting for too long for one or two cars.

The route is very simple and you can always ask along the road

Besides its dicey to drive in large convoys, better to not attract too much attention. Perhaps groups of two cars if it helps

Advisable to leave at 6 am sharp so you reach Mannanur at a leisurely pace latest by 9 am

Last edited by DKG : 26th February 2010 at 11:41.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:51   #90
BHPian

Guys, i will be starting from Tarnaka. If anyone else is starting from around this place (or otherwise also) and needs help with the route, just message me. I will be happy to guide.

I will be coming all alone in my Getz, so i can probably take some people along. But while coming back on sunday night, i will be stopping at a village near Amangal for a family get together.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks