Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2010, 15:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
Bad.
How can you even think of this?
Its just a toy gun!!(at least the ones available in India!)

In my case, it all came down to - Either to protect the car(bb gun) or not hurt the animal(see a new scratch every day!!)

I chose to protect it!

Anyways, its not like the dog becomes wounded or anything!

I'm sure no one is gonna let dogs do this(Pics in OP) to their cars just because they don't wanna hurt them!

Sure try out other ways before picking up a gun!
Old 20th February 2010, 16:14   #17
kkg
BHPian

This seems to be common problem in Delhi. I used to see a dog on my neighbour's wagon r daily, the cover was always there but yesterday the dog had literaly pulled the cover on the road wnd was resting on it.

But i guess i am lucky that both my cars (spark and nano) have designs that do not facilitate dogs movement and that might be the reason they are stiil spared from this menace.. By the way i would love to see a dog to try and climb a nano
Old 20th February 2010, 16:35   #18
BHPian

i have heard mothballs are strong repellents to dogs,cats etc.why dont you keep a mothball packet!!

powdered coffee beans and powdered orange peels also repel animals due to their strong smells.
place a cover or paper and keep them over it.

you could also use some hi-tech stuff like ultrasonic animal deterrent devices.

Last edited by ariendj : 20th February 2010 at 16:38.
Old 20th February 2010, 17:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Simple, take a big brick and throw it on the roof when you next see it sleeping on the car. After a few bricks the dog problem should for sure go away
Old 20th February 2010, 17:11   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Place a few potted cactus plants (the very prickly variety) on the roof and bonnet (preferably after spreading a thick sheet of paper/board to protect from scratches). Doing this for a few days will make the dogs stay away, and soon enough they'll find some more convenient place to rest. Once the habit is broken, they won't come and sit on the roof even if you don't place the plants.

You must understand why the dogs prefer sitting on the roof. They do it only in winter, when the ground is cold, and since your car is a black one, it tends to warm up more in the sun - a nice and comfortable place for them. They won't sit there in summer, since they prefer being in shade and on the ground where it's cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Simple, take a big brick and throw it on the roof when you next see it sleeping on the car. After a few bricks the dog problem should for sure go away
The expensive solution! A slightly less expensive one would be to buy a pressure washer, and hit them with a pointed jet! No dogs + clean car!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 20th February 2010 at 17:18.
Old 20th February 2010, 17:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
For sure, you will not have a dog-on-car-roof problem. You will have a where's-my-car-roof kind of problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You must understand why the dogs prefer sitting on the roof. They do it only in winter, when the ground is cold, and since your car is a black one, it tends to warm up more in the sun - a nice and comfortable place for them. They won't sit there in summer, since they prefer being in shade and on the ground where it's cooler.
hehe, in winter dogs on the car. In summer dogs under the car! Now who said its a dogs life?

BTW, cactus on roof sounds nice. Other option could be a luggage carrier on roof! I wont leave any place for dogs to sit on and you get more luggage space. Only thing is that it looks very bad on a swift.
Old 20th February 2010, 22:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

fire a gun (in the air) whenever you see it climbing and hopefully they will get the hint :P

if they dont you can always turn the gun downwards
Old 20th February 2010, 22:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

I have a solution, Get in to the car without disturbing them when they are asleep. Start the engine - put first gear - and push the pedal to metal :-)))))

Dogs in my neighbourhood are decent boys, they take rest under the car, so no probs!!
Old 20th February 2010, 23:03   #24
BHPian

Oh my God! That's unreal. I never saw such a thing before.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:06   #25
BHPian

I think, once summers start in NCR, you would not face this problem as the car roof will be very hot for the dog to sit.
Old 21st February 2010, 17:25   #26
BHPian

@Rapidsnail: It's funny indeed but serious too. getting rid of tiny scratches off the car could cost a bomb. In your case the best solution would be Ultrasonic pest repellent. Dogs sunbathing on car roof - Help !!-abc.jpg
Source: YardContro Electronic Yard Fence YC12 - Smarthome

Its a small device (almost same size as of a broadband modem) that emits ultrasonic sound that is inaudible by humans but our canine and feline neighbors can't stand it. Its too loud for them. It works very effectively in my neighbors garden (that's a different brand and product but same functions) and not harsh on animals. Its pocket friendly too.

Simply install it and forget it. It runs on battery and is waterproof. A little expensive range comes with more features such as 'radar control'. It automatically increases the sound volume when a cat or dog ignores the ultrasonic sound and keeps getting closer (even peak volume is completely unnoticeable to human ears). Its even comes handy if you have rodents, birds or any other pest bugging you. It keeps off all species but humans .I am not sure if this thing is available in India but you can always find it on ebay or similar sites. Hope this'll help.

regards
Punzabi

Last edited by Punzabi : 21st February 2010 at 17:29.
Old 21st February 2010, 19:56   #27
vsh
BHPian

what a problem and what crazy ideas!
simple would be- whenever you park your car, just pour two three buckets of water over your car. this will keep them away for sure.
Old 21st February 2010, 20:06   #28
BHPian

I just thought of an idea maybe it can work. On the regular car cover we can stick those plastic films which we get at stationary shops for covering books (only on that area from where they climb. These films are very slippery and dogs and cars may not be able to climb the roof of your car. Additionally we can also spray pepper on cover to keep them away.
Old 21st February 2010, 23:17   #29
BHPian

Heres a solution used by my relatives , it worked 100%
Attached Thumbnails
Dogs sunbathing on car roof - Help !!-21022010106.jpg  

Dogs sunbathing on car roof - Help !!-21022010107.jpg  

Dogs sunbathing on car roof - Help !!-21022010108.jpg  

Dogs sunbathing on car roof - Help !!-21022010109.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2010, 13:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

What the heck is that ? He put his car in a netted bag ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks