Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 11:23   #76
Team-BHP Support

I truly feel sad for the victims, and those who perished in this unfortunate incident.

Come to think of it, i know a highrise on the Brookfields main road, which my friend who stays there has told me multiple times that the fire hydrant boxes are just a farce, and are empty. Clearly shows how regulations are flouted.
Old 24th February 2010, 11:48   #77
BHPian

Really sad incident. these are more and more examples of how inadequate is our preparedness to tackle emergencies, especially in cities. Fire brigade is helpless that they can’t reach the sites because of traffic, and even if they reached, they are less equipped. I really doubt how well our Police force is also trained to handle situations like this.

Just today morning, while I was waiting at a traffic signal, there was an ambulance flashing lights at the end or the crowd, but the traffic police women at the junction was busy talking over her cell phone and did not really bother to switch off the electronic traffic signal and give way for the ambulance. What do we call this? Lack of motivation??
Old 24th February 2010, 11:59   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Spitfire ,do you work in that building ? . Do you guys are back to work so soon ?
No, I work in the opposite buidling - Diamond District.

We all rushed to help and were some of the few who reached there even before anyone made out what was happening. For the first 15 mins everyone thought the smoke was from the chimneys of the restaurants in that building.

We retreated once the chaos started. Fearing explosions as someone said there is fuel on the terrace. Security men there manning the entries who are first to pull you up when you have to pay for the parking were running for their lives the opposite direction to which we were running in.

Some few brave souls did venture inside.

Bangalore educated people are the biggest morons in this country.

Irony was when we were rushing towards the building from the opposite side vehicles travelling on the road tried to mow us down as we were crossing the road.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:01   #79
BHPian

I saw the footage on TV. It was seriously a horrible sight. May the souls RIP.

But, I seriously feel that these footages should not be broadcasted on television. Why are the tv channels bent upon spreading the trauma? :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRider View Post
Just today morning, while I was waiting at a traffic signal, there was an ambulance flashing lights at the end or the crowd, but the traffic police women at the junction was busy talking over her cell phone and did not really bother to switch off the electronic traffic signal and give way for the ambulance. What do we call this? Lack of motivation??
Nope, I call it "I just don't give a damn about your life or anyone else's unless the life is mine or someone related to me". This kind of attitude scares me the most. I have seen this attitude not only by the authorities but by the general public as well. Seen so many cabs and drivers who drive recklessly and almost causing a major accident on roads because they just don't give a damn.

Second thing is lack of common sense. I still don't understand or cannot comprehend the fact that the general public blocked the entire road, causing delay in arrival of firemen? Sheesh. When, I just keep wondering, when will we ever learn? Is it really that difficult or we really don't give a damn unless it concerns us? :-/
Old 24th February 2010, 12:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRider View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post

Nope, I call it "I just don't give a damn about your life or anyone else's unless the life is mine or someone related to me". This kind of attitude scares me the most. I have seen this attitude not only by the authorities but by the general public as well. Seen so many cabs and drivers who drive recklessly and almost causing a major accident on roads because they just don't give a damn.
Sorry for the Anticlimax, but many ambulances are at fault here. Like The boy who cried wolf, many ambulances will flash lights and sound sirens just to get clearance from the traffic ahead. The cops know this.

But anyways, they should have the decency to check for genuine cases before letting off one.
There have been many cases in BLR where pregnant ladies have delivered in the ambulances or something worse has happened.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:21   #81
Senior - BHPian

Guess it all goes back to the attitude of the people in this country. And they blame the authorities.
Its mostly about people not being informed and even if they are they not ready to toe the right way for their own reasons.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:24   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Sorry for the Anticlimax, but many ambulances are at fault here. Like The boy who cried wolf, many ambulances will flash lights and sound sirens just to get clearance from the traffic ahead. The cops know this.

But anyways, they should have the decency to check for genuine cases before letting off one.
There have been many cases in BLR where pregnant ladies have delivered in the ambulances or something worse has happened.
But, how will you verify this? Let's say an accident has occured and an ambulance is rushing to that place. Is there any way of verifying that the accident has acutally happened? And let's assume it's a genuine accident, every second counts and if the cop stops ambulance even for 2 mins, it can cost somebody his/her life.

What makes more sense to me is allowing the ambulances even if they are faking it. It is only sensible not to stop for verification when somebody else's life is at stake.

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking as well. Let's not go OT here.

Last edited by HellwratH : 24th February 2010 at 12:32.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:25   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Actually it seem like a genuine case. After I pulled over give way, I've seen 3-4 people at the back and they seem to be desperate. Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:35   #84
Senior - BHPian

The authorities have booked cases against the owners. Isn't there any responsibility with the authorities at all? It seems to be a trend everywhere.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
But, how will you verify this?
By this I meant check if there is a victim on a stretcher inside.
If an amby is on its way at an accident site the cop can radio enquire the same and let it pass.
All said and done, I want to see Disneyland.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:12   #86
BHPian

Really shocking and disturbing news. One of the perished, Sunil Iyer, was a dear friend and colleague. Always upbeat, always high on life. I cannot help thinking since this morning what his thoughts would have been when he was about to jump out of that building.

May God give his family the strength to bear this massive loss. May his soul rest in peace.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:28   #87
BHPian

Was very sad to see the situation on TV, even sadder to know that one of the victims was known to u. Hard to digest tragedies.

My condolences to all affected.

Prajwal
Old 24th February 2010, 15:00   #88
BHPian

@hellwrath, you're right.
Ambulances whether or not with genuine reasons should ALWAYS be given way. Ambulances don't have the time to convince anybody about where its going / why its on its way.

Sorry for going off-topic. Everyday i see people on Airport Road not giving a damn about those wailing sirens.

And as @spitfire mentioned, trying to mow down people in front of Diamond District is routine. Thanks to the highly educated people who never took a course on "Common Sense".

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 24th February 2010 at 15:03.
Old 24th February 2010, 15:11   #89
Senior - BHPian

It was 2001, I was working for a MNC networking company in Carlton towers, we used go to the chitchat near by. It was a nice building, and I get the view of Airport road from my seat.
Sad that invaluable lives are lost, may their soul rest in peace.
Old 24th February 2010, 15:14   #90
Senior - BHPian

Just read in the papers that the doors to the emergency exit stairways were found locked by the near by (Leela Palace) security incharge(s). How smart is that ? Who was responsible to open them for the occupants ? Getting uneducated poor youth wanting to earn a living in a big city, for a security person's job is not responsible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks