Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 15:29   #91
Senior - BHPian

This is really sad. My friend works on the 5th floor there. She smelt something burning and asked her colleuge to open the door. The whole hallway was engulfed in black smoke. Three of them managed to run down the stairs to fnd the fire exit locked with bars and people trying to break open. Finally some guys broke open the door and she was aghast to see a guy fall flat on the floor from above. He died immediately. I really cannot beleive this happenend. Sad.
Old 24th February 2010, 15:33   #92
BANNED

Guys,

The building was around 20 years old and not updated according to the BBMP norms. The building will be ceased. Probably they will start checking all the buildings now...!
Old 24th February 2010, 15:40   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Guys,

The building was around 20 years old and not updated according to the BBMP norms. The building will be ceased. Probably they will start checking all the buildings now...!
until everyone starts to forget this...
The top floor of Bangalore Central was reported to have some un-authorized structure which led to a fire. The fire station chief which is just opposite said that he has observed this structure come up. Nothing has happened.

Also coming to the security guys, I dont know what purpose they serve. They dont understand majority of the languages and seem to be lost. How can they help anyone?
Old 24th February 2010, 15:44   #94
Senior - BHPian

Atleast, now the people will take fire drill seriously!

Most of the deaths are caused by panic, we need to be calm & composed when such disasters takes place.
If only those who jumped to death in yesterday's tragedy waited for some more time, they would have been rescued safe & sound.
I am feeling very angry on those fire rescue men who got some bedsheets or net and asked those unfortunate people to jump!
I don't know what training they received on Fire Rescue etc, they should be sacked immediately!

Last edited by finneyp : 24th February 2010 at 15:45.
Old 24th February 2010, 15:47   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
until everyone starts to forget this...
The top floor of Bangalore Central was reported to have some un-authorized structure which led to a fire. The fire station chief which is just opposite said that he has observed this structure come up. Nothing has happened.
Read 'Power to influence'.
Quote:
Also coming to the security guys, I dont know what purpose they serve. They dont understand majority of the languages and seem to be lost. How can they help anyone?
I saw a 'security' guard get clobbered by a simple 'local' motorcyclist right at my complex gate. Are these any worth or just visual deterrents ?

Last edited by prince_pervez : 24th February 2010 at 15:49.
Old 24th February 2010, 16:10   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Helping anyone does not require any kind of language expertise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Read 'Power to influence'.

I saw a 'security' guard get clobbered by a simple 'local' motorcyclist right at my complex gate. Are these any worth or just visual deterrents ?
That can happen anywhere, any place. Haven't you ever saw a Bouncer getting beaten?

Guys, I have noticed a common thing in this forum, people want everything to be "perfect". Be it security guards, traffic, people, roads etc. etc.. We need to crucify or justify things keeping the 'source' in the mind. Do you think even 50% of Indian population paid taxes if it was not mandatory? How can we expect everything perfect, when our (politicians, media, leaders etc. etc. and even the Prime Minister) the source is not perfect?
Old 24th February 2010, 16:15   #97
J.Ravi

In India, we [or at least, most of us] do not follow law, or rather, we take law into our own hands. Here, might is right. Ultimately, somebody had to pay a very heavy price for somebody else's misdeeds. The victim could be anybody, you or me or someone close to you or me. After some days, everything will be forgotten and forgiven. Life will be back to normal until another ghastly mishap with more death toll occurs.

Old 24th February 2010, 16:28   #98
BHPian

Guys, is the Tower sealed ? Saw the news on Zee.
Old 24th February 2010, 16:38   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Lack of adequate training on Fire Drills.
Builders openly flouting the safety laws and no enforcement of said safety laws. Human life is regarded as cheap in our country.

Ref Malls in my opinion the safest one is probably Forum.
All the remaining ones - Garuda,Sigma, Total, Big Bazar etc are chaotic. One would not wish to be caught in a stampede in any of the above though.

Thanks for the reply Shankar. Yes i was referring to Garuda, Sigma and Big Bazar. The lay out is totally confusing and not favorable for an evacuation.

Coming back to the topic, one thing i did not understand was the lack of safety nets with the fire brigade/police. Ideally, if people are jumping out, there should atleast be a safety net put in place to save lives.

One of the most horrific and pathetic thing which i saw on TV news was when one of the guys was jumping out of the 6/7th floor window, the crowd gathered there was whistling and cheering. It really got on my nerves. People have no value for lives. It was not a movie shooting for God's sakes and lives were at stake!!
Old 24th February 2010, 16:53   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Helping anyone does not require any kind of language expertise.
+1 to that. Totally agree.

Quote:
Guys, I have noticed a common thing in this forum, people want everything to be "perfect". Be it security guards, traffic, people, roads etc. etc.. We need to crucify or justify things keeping the 'source' in the mind. Do you think even 50% of Indian population paid taxes if it was not mandatory? How can we expect everything perfect, when our (politicians, media, leaders etc. etc. and even the Prime Minister) the source is not perfect?
Well I am only referring to the topic in hand. I am blaming the employers of the Security Guards who appoint the guards without some basic training. And I am not saying they have to be perfect. They should have the basic sense and training to handle an emergency.

EDIT: Oops!! Noticed that i posted back to back. Apologies mods. Please feel free to merge the 2 replies if need be.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 24th February 2010 at 16:54.
Old 24th February 2010, 17:06   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boss, things can be perfect with this respect atleast.
In the US the fire alarms went off when dal tadka was being made.
The hotel occupants were vacated.
When we went out we could see a second fire wagon on its way.
The first was already there. The 'pan' had to be showed to the Police
as the source. Then did they leave.
If we could have atleast 50-60% of that here many lives can be saved.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

Achha one more thing, there are many many prompt and honest tax payers in our country and I am one of them. And in the next 2 months I am going to shell my heart out of outstanding tax.
Please don't tell me they deserve the pot holes and useless babus et all when they come to picture.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 24th February 2010 at 17:22.
Old 24th February 2010, 17:22   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have noticed a common thing in this forum, people want everything to be "perfect".
Yes, thats EXACTLY why we're here. Thats why such a forum exists.
If everything was perfect, there wouldn't be anything to discuss.
If nobody wanted anything perfect, there won't be anybody to discuss either.

If you try to be perfect, you'll at least reach half-way. Isn't that better?
Using your logic, WE INDIANS can justify anything and everything.

-- Torqy
Old 24th February 2010, 17:35   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday, I was in Bangalore and no clue about this incident.

Read it in the papers this morning.

Really sad for the folks who got affected
Old 24th February 2010, 17:46   #104
BANNED

It depends on the perception. Trying to be perfect is something else, trying to make others perfect is completely different.

However, I guess we are quite OFF TOPIC.. so I take the initiative.
Old 24th February 2010, 17:49   #105
Senior - BHPian

What a terrible tragedy!! . I heard of it yesterday night from a friend who works in Oxford towers nearby.

My cousin's husband used to work in that building before he moved to the UK a few months back. Apparently, the receptionist of his former employer was one of the ladies who died.

The pictures of jumping people were heart rending to see.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 24th February 2010 at 17:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks