Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2005, 13:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Current Cricket impasse

What are your thoughts? I think Chappel is right. Maybe he put it across a bit too directly. Ganguly I think has to take some tough decisions. And his reaction smacks of immaturity IMHO. Please discuss.
Old 20th September 2005, 13:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

I've given up on the Indian "cricketers". They're not a team - just a bunch of individuals who are more ad men than cricketers. Mahesh Bhupathi put it very nicely when he talked about how his sports management company will handle Sania Mirza - he said that if Sachin Tendulkar takes home 1 crore from BCCI and 30 crores from endorsements then he is a model and not a player (words to that effect, not exact quote), and that his company will ensure that Mirza doesnt end up in a similar fate by restricting her ad days to 6 days per company and 6 companies per year or something like that.

This bunch of individuals are incapable of winning because they do not constitute a team, regardless of how much hype is generated around this so-called 'Team India'.

Chapell may be a great coach, but I'm not sure if his head-on approach has gone well with the individuals that make up this motley crew. Its a case of the Arrogant Aussie v/s the Obstinate Indian.
Old 20th September 2005, 13:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

what I don't get is that we consider ourselves one of the best cricket playing nations, yet we need a firang coach? Don't our players have enough respect for an Indian Coach or do they only listen to instructions when it comes from a firang.

As far as this current news story goes, I really couldn't care less.
Old 20th September 2005, 14:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Guys, IMO, Cricket in India is in a stage of decline. The Indian life and lifestyle are changing and so are our priorities and favorities. The blistering pace of the Indian economy coupled with an avalanche of electronic and print media had pumped in a lot of money. This led to overexposure and other unhealthy trends.

However, all these led to a situation where public interest in the game has been waning rapidly. Within a couple of years the advt/sponsorship in cricket will hit reality levels or rock-bottom. These demi-gods will be fighting for their bread and butter and then, some santiy will prevail.
Old 20th September 2005, 14:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Rtech, logically yes. Why do we need a firang?

But then the moment you pick an indian player, he has (or is accused of having) bias towards his state/region.
e.g. If Gavaskar is picked as coach, he will (or will be accused to) promote Mumbai players. If Kapil is chosen, it will be Delhi and so on.
Again with due respect to Kapil, our past players were not known for physical fitness, while it is a buzz word of the day. To professionally coach a team, you need a neutral professional person with no bias towards individuals.

Chapell is, no doubt, diehard Aussie. But then looking at events published, he seems to have chosen more professional approach. Sourav, as a leader, can not succumb to emotions publically. And I am not even talking about twisting the facts. He was great player in past, but he is has been worked out by almost all attacks in the world and he has no answer to that in last 2 years. I am puzzled why people keep on talking about his 10,000 runs in ODI. Every player has a prime and Sourav clearly seems to be past it. He better concentrate on his batting than getting muddled with such controversies. People talk about his great record as captain, but easily forget that he had able commanders like Sachin/Dravid/Laxman/Kumble, which none of his predecessors had. He is a good leader, but not inspirational anymore.

Hope, good sense will prevail again in Indian cricket.
Old 20th September 2005, 15:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
Guys, IMO, Cricket in India is in a stage of decline. The Indian life and lifestyle are changing and so are our priorities and favorities. The blistering pace of the Indian economy coupled with an avalanche of electronic and print media had pumped in a lot of money. This led to overexposure and other unhealthy trends.

However, all these led to a situation where public interest in the game has been waning rapidly. Within a couple of years the advt/sponsorship in cricket will hit reality levels or rock-bottom. These demi-gods will be fighting for their bread and butter and then, some santiy will prevail.

You are into consulting, arent you? If not, you should be.
Old 20th September 2005, 15:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
He is a good leader, but not inspirational anymore.
Very true .. I'm not sure there is anyone to replace him from that perspective .. he has an attitude and wears it on his sleeve .. not that it always produces positive results ...

And I also believe that he's a fighter .. IMO he should have stepped down himself quite some time back .. and then fought his way back into the side on merit ..

On a lighter note .. why not he resigns as captain .. and becomes the coach ! Chappell bye bye !
Old 20th September 2005, 20:53   #8
BANNED

Guys, TEAM INDIA and their highly praised mid field huddle has just vanished. I'm an ardent cricket fan , to the extent that I follow even the Zim-Bangladesh test match but sadly after the lil high that our team camaraderie encountered its been a down hill slide . As of today its just coz I luv the game that I still do watch it and now with this fiasco I feel that Ganguly needs to step down on his own and let Dravid have a taste of captaincy . We know of players who with a much fewer chances to show case their talent were ousted from the team so why guive Ganguly so many chances ?? Take what Nasser Hussain did for England ... he was the main reason for the turn around of Team England though he stepped down before he could recieve the accolades ... maybe Ganguly shud have a chat with him .

Also we as a country need to promote other forms of sport .. which for so long have been side lined !! ( Motor sports for one --- I'm sure a lot of us agree to that ..lol ) Anyways, whatever happens but Mr. Dalmiya needs to let the controls go and so does Ganguly ... and also the sponsors who should stop pouring so much cash towards them for nothing --- let them startw inning across teh world and then we wudnt mind . They need to show results ... no matter at wat cost ...

Till then lets promote A1 and hope it tells companies that Motor sports is also a gud way of promoting their interests and maybe at a lesser dent in their accounts ...

cheers
Old 20th September 2005, 23:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

I hate cricket. Everywhere, sportspersons struggle to get equipment and funding, and here, a bunch of unfit guys in pyjamas make millions.
Old 23rd September 2005, 11:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Now the e-mail. Things are hotting up.

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/indi...ry/219986.html
Old 23rd September 2005, 14:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

One thing's for sure - there isnt place in the Indian Team for both Chapell and Ganguly. One of the two will have to go, and the way the email was 'leaked' to the press I'd say Chapell isnt shy of playing the media. One thing's for sure - the team morale will take a huge plunge and its not going to be the same team anymore. Whether thats good or not, only time will tell.
Old 23rd September 2005, 15:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
One thing's for sure - there isnt place in the Indian Team for both Chapell and Ganguly. One of the two will have to go, and the way the email was 'leaked' to the press I'd say Chapell isnt shy of playing the media.
It was leaked to a Bengali daily, which is supposedly close to Mr. $miya. So no prizes for guessing, where its source would be :-)
Old 25th September 2005, 02:56   #13
BHPian

Finally we 've got the man , the real Gentleman !

After listening the e-mail word by word(on india tv) all i can say is that finally we ve got the man(chappell) we (indians) ve always been looking for ....

It really takes something to come up with such a e-mail and that too against the so called best indian captain ever.... and i wanna salute chappell for his bravery and that shows how true and dedicated he is as a indian cricket team coach ....

No one has the proof about the things chappell has written in his e-mail but after listening his very proffesional e-mail , i am sure you all are bound to believe his words ....

Though, its too early to say who is right or wrong but somewhere down the line i guess he is right and as a person i am totally impressed with chappells proffesionalism and would love to see him carri as a coach of our indian cricket team for years ....
Old 25th September 2005, 15:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

read about Greg Chapell's email here.
Old 26th September 2005, 11:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh, but professionalism or no professionalism, Beemer, Chappel in all probability will be on his way out. Atleast he can keep his head held high. I have stopped watching cricket when India plays. Maybe now I shall stop following it too. But yeah, I am going to watch one thing - India vs England next year. Will want to see how we cope with the reverse swing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks