Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2005, 11:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wireless LAN protocol

I might need to setup a 50-workstation wireless LAN in a very short notice.

Does anybody know anything about 802.11 (wireless LAN protocol) usability? How fast and practical is it? What brands of adapters and base stations would you recommend? I am told that D-Link is the most preferred brand.

Thanks in advance
Sandeep
Old 22nd September 2005, 11:30   #2
BHPian

Get 802.11G equipment, this will support a 54 MBPS transfer rate. My preferred brands are Netgear, Linksys and DLink. There is equiment that supports higher transfer speeds of up to 110 MBPS, which will need compatible adapters and add to the overall equipment cost.

Keep in mind that the transfer speeds with 50 clients on a single wireless network will mean abysmal speeds in a LAN environment, since gigabit networking speeds are available on tap with the use of cables and Gigabit NICs.
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

@airfoil, THANKS a lot buddy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil
Keep in mind that the transfer speeds with 50 clients on a single wireless network will mean abysmal speeds in a LAN environment...
Will it make any better if I route traffic via multiple (say 5) base stations (in "infrastructure" mode)? I need to route approx 500MB traffic in 8 hours, a conservative estimate...
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
I might need to setup a 50-workstation wireless LAN in a very short notice.

Does anybody know anything about 802.11 (wireless LAN protocol) usability? How fast and practical is it? What brands of adapters and base stations would you recommend? I am told that D-Link is the most preferred brand.

Thanks in advance
Sandeep
Contact Dell - they will provide advice on setting up a Wireless Network for small offices. If you dont want to buy their equipment, you can always use their advice.

Simplest way (fastest and easiest, not the most effective) to set a WLAN would be to get a bunch of Apple Airport Express wireless routers (costs about $ 100 each) and farm it out in the area you want to cover - the one connected to your wired network will be the primary router and all the others will work as repeaters.

Mind you, I know **** all about networks - this is just something I've done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks