I am a Man and Yes I do 107 85.60%
I am a Man and No I don't 15 12.00%
I am a Woman and my spouse shares the chores 2 1.60%
I am a Woman and my spouse does not share the chores 1 0.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 16:53   #1
Team-BHP Support

Equality for Women starts at home. Do you agree?

Do you Mop the floors?

Its a simple question. I thought of it when I was watching the news while mopping the floor.
Womens reservation bill is expected to pass thru.
We have women slowly and steadily making progress.
Domains once considered exclusive to men are now open for women.

Most families today have both members working.
So its a question of double money coming in, but is the housework devided between the spouses.

My wife and I live in a small apartment in Hyderabad.
We don't employ any housemaid.
She stays at home and I work as a s/w developer.

When the house is being cleaned, she sweeps the floor. I mop the house.
Weekends and some weekdays, I cut the vegetables. She cooks the food.
Sometimes I do the dishes as well.

I owe it all to my mom, who treated me and my sister as equals.
I like doing these chores.
But from my interaction with other colleagues and friends, I understand that its not so in all the houses.

Women not only work outside, but have to take full responsibilty of the house.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

You are not the only one dude. Even I am also with you. Even I mop the floor everyday morning and then go to office and after coming back the same help what you do is even followed by me.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, honestly, I would love to help my wife out in these chores. But I am not married yet, so I cant really vote!
Old 4th March 2010, 17:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am in that club too. Nomally during the week days its my wife's domain regarding household chores but in the evening its my responsibility to take care of my son and keep him engaged so that wife can go about the evening routines. On weekends the total house keeping stuff incl sweeping, mopping, washing dishes after lunch/dinner, gathering my kids toys which is scattered to almost every corner of the house, take him for walks is my responsibility. Thats the least I can do to let my wife have her own time with her friends. We do have our weekend tiffs over the qaulity of work done but that OK.
Old 4th March 2010, 17:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would not say i do it every day, but i do it once a while. I used to do all my house old work when i was a teenager, as both our parents used to work and my sister is 7 years younger to me. Not to mention the bribe i used to get from mom for helping her. Now that i am maried i used to feel like the king of my castle and used to laze around watching TV and ordering like the new bank add featuring that guy from 3 idiots , till the time my wife started target prctice on me things were fine. Since the last 2 weeks i have been a very obedient husband. It also depends on the flavor of the day .

Pramod
Old 4th March 2010, 17:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
till the time my wife started target prctice on me things were fine
Superb. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this. Man amazing. Actually I was about to fall down from my chair
Old 4th March 2010, 18:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
So its a question of double money coming in, but is the housework devided between the spouses.

My wife and I live in a small apartment in Hyderabad.
We don't employ any housemaid.
She stays at home and I work as a s/w developer.

I owe it all to my mom, who treated me and my sister as equals.
I like doing these chores.
But from my interaction with other colleagues and friends, I understand that its not so in all the houses.

Women not only work outside, but have to take full responsibilty of the house.
Excellent.
We have similar culture at home. I have to work in kitchen and my sister was taught how to drive car. This is something generally not seen. First time admit that I can cook Roti if Atta is available. The shape is not round, but its not a shape of a country that is not existing on earth. I have to prepare tea, get vegetables, clean house, prepare some food like rice, etc.

Despite me being an automotive freak, my sister was taught how to ride and drive earlier than me as she is elder to me. Its a different thing that right now I driver more than her, but Equality was there and still equality rules.

You are absolutely right that women have to work for income + have to do house hold jobs. This is wrong. If a housewife is going out to earn, then husband also has to help in kitchen and other household jobs. Indian society, once again, proves how cheap it is. Hypocrisy is name of the game. Add to that the fact that for women, work place is not always good.

I do believe in equality. This is the reason that I have decided to get married only after I earn sufficiently, such that spouse need not go out to work. The negativity attested with this attitude is that I am orthodox and I am afraid of my spouse getting more success than me.

At the end of the day, though I am not in favor of this bill. Indian women were supressed for a lot of time. Now imagine what will happen if a spring suddenly released after exerting a lot of pressure. It jumps back higher.
This can lead to some issues.

Call it male ego or whatever, but I cannot tolerate a lady boss on me. I already had a few issues with lady colleagues. Not in negative way, but I cannot tolerate somebody pinpointing me without my fault. Women tend to react without thinking some times and this creates problem for innocent people.

@all : Consider this post as if the post is from just another human being who is a male. No offense meant to anyone. My sister goes to work and is working in HR. I am not orthodox, but just a bit short tempered. No offense meant to anyone. These are just my views. Treat them as post by a male rather than a post by a Senior BHPian.
Old 4th March 2010, 18:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well, I help her in all domestic chores. After all its "OUR" house so we have to take equal responsibility. Even in our wedding I shared the expenses towards wedding so this all started even before I got married
Old 4th March 2010, 18:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

I don't really believe in any concept of equality.
Equality, fairness etc are all fictitious civilized concepts, good only on books and internet forums.

However, I do believe that wherever possible, ppl should make efforts to share the burden to the extent possible. After all won't you help your school/college buddy?
Old 4th March 2010, 18:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Since this poll is about Women's equality, i thought of asking my wife to respond to this poll.

She belives, i do not help her in household work.
i tend to agree.

There is a famous chinese proverb " Women hold up half the sky "

there is a goldman sach's white paper on Gender Equality

i would recommend all to read it becasue, i do not think, just by sharing household chores, gender equality is achived.

It is achieved by Respecting Women, sharing equal opportunity in Education, Healthcare, Economic activities, Political activities.

it is not about providing something (reservations) to women. this itself denotes men are thinking themselves to be superior to women which is not true.

please read on...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf women-hold-up-half-of-the-sky.pdf (175.4 KB, 860 views)
Old 4th March 2010, 19:11   #11
BHPian

Cool.

Both me and my wife work. So far we have also not employed any house maids.
My wife takes care of cooking I take care of eating.
My wife cleans the vessels, I make sure that there are enough dirty at the end of the day.
My wife mop the floor, I make sure that house is cleared of all the dust.
I wash and iron the clothes and my wife contributes in generating enough washing load.
I get the vegetables and other groceries.
I help prepare the dinner and on weekends i prepare breakfast and lunch while my wife prepares dinner.

Regards,
Old 4th March 2010, 19:51   #12
BHPian

A hatke thread. Lot of guys will reform after reading target practice incident with pramodkumar. Haha. Me, am a bachelor so no kasht of any kind.
Old 4th March 2010, 19:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
After all won't you help your school/college buddy?
haha...that's good. for that one should marry a college buddy always. my type - will be ready to help..unless i'm driving...
Old 4th March 2010, 20:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

question, does she help you move the furniture, fix the door, manage an itinerary including the driving, get the paper work done from the corrupt RTO, or do other laborious work?

As far as I am concerned, no, I don't share the work equally. We allocate work on the basis of comparative cost advantage and do what we are good at, maximizing our outputs. (weehooo, economics classes are paying off )

EDIT: I meant I do not share equally. I do share some when needed.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 4th March 2010 at 20:57.
Old 4th March 2010, 21:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
question, does she help you move the furniture, fix the door, manage an itinerary including the driving, get the paper work done from the corrupt RTO, or do other laborious work?

As far as I am concerned, no, I don't share the work equally. We allocate work on the basis of comparative cost advantage and do what we are good at, maximizing our outputs. (weehooo, economics classes are paying off )

EDIT: I meant I do not share equally. I do share some when needed.

Man you are a role model for us obedient husbands . Next time she declares a war i have some points to talk about, lets hope i am not beaten up like every time. i can feel a strange energy and a ear to ear grinn, like every time before the cyclone arrives.

I am Just kidding, i just read her a book and she helped me take some pics, i helped her make some curry as well (am i getting close to the husband of the year award?) .

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks