Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 17:05   #46
BHPian

Re: Walkie-Talkie systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I am assuming it has the standard motorola frequency chart.
Attachment 875896

These frequencies are not present in the document provided by bejoy.

Also I am curious if a .5/1 watt power output would be banned in India. As its power is quite low.
These radios are not legal in India as these frequencies have already been allocated to various police and fire organisations. The WPC website will give you the details. The power output is low but still you can be in an area where the cops etc are close and you could interfere with their sets which is surely not legal.
Old 26th March 2012, 17:13   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Yes actually while talking to some cops from the radio licensing unit here in Delhi they were of the opinion that CB wont require a license but were not completely sure. I wonder if we can safely use a CB radio at pour homes/cars or carry wireless sets CB type with us when we are travelling on a trek or something.
@Deky,thanks mate for the document. It surely clears up a lot of doubts. Now I need to source the requisite equipment that conforms to the specifications.
CB radios do not require a licence in India. But do not buy a set from the US or elsewhere are you will need one that meets the Indian requirements . Be sure its legal and locally bought for peace of mind and enjoy your CB experience. PM me if you want the details of a supplier etc.
Old 26th March 2012, 17:17   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
There is no way that you will get 35 miles

Your best bet is to get a CB radio which is legal to use and can be used anywhere in India without a licence. You can use a handheld one or a car mounted version and the range is pretty substantial for individual use. Drop me a PM and I can give you some contacts to find a radio.
Yes, 35 miles is around 56Kms which is almost the range a FM radio station has. I remember one forum member who had been to Leh using 2 way radio to communicate between the cars in group, guess it was 'Yamaraj' .

Zipperone: Can you please let know models / price available in India. I was also checking the same.
Old 26th March 2012, 18:21   #49
BHPian

Quote:
CB radios do not require a licence in India. But do not buy a set from the US or elsewhere are you will need one that meets the Indian requirements . Be sure its legal and locally bought for peace of mind and enjoy your CB experience. PM me if you want the details of a supplier etc.
By CB radio, I guess you mean the 27MHz band, right? Those sets tends to get real bulky and have practical difficulties - read lengthy antennas. Could you provide some links to the radios that are available in India.
Thanks,
Bejoy
Old 26th March 2012, 18:45   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Zipperone,

If you have more info please share and definitely would like to get the details of supplier etc. Basically if i want to buy couple of them for the offroad team, nothing like it.

Cheers
Jaggu
Old 27th March 2012, 23:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

Yeah zipper am sure you can help a lot of bhpians by pointing to the right direction and advise, if you do know what you are talking about that is.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:30   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Yeah zipper am sure you can help a lot of bhpians by pointing to the right direction and advise, if you do know what you are talking about that is.
Of course. There is a facebook page now for CB users in India and can be found at INDIA CB RADIO USER GROUP | Facebook
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:52   #53
Senior - BHPian

Walkie-Talkie of different models/makers tend to cancel out each others signals due to a inbuilt setting.

Sometime last year a group of my friends went offroading, and 4 of the WT's were able to talk to each other, but 2 could just hear, couldnt transmit - so we thought. They could transmit, but the other 4 were blocking signals from that 2.

My good friend SukhSharan Sidhu (sidhusaab, to us) shared the details of how to override this setting, and I am sharing it for benefit of all WT users here.

Walkie-Talkie systems-manual.jpg

IEC - Interface Eliminator Code

Basic setting is a non-Zero 0 number. The 2nd line smaller font 1 is the IEC on my model.

Walkie-Talkie systems-1.jpg

Set it to Zero-0

Walkie-Talkie systems-2.jpg

This is my model WT flashing off

Walkie-Talkie systems-3.jpg

There you go, now this WT can receive input signals from all makers/models of WT using the same channel.

Last edited by svsantosh : 23rd January 2014 at 15:58.
Old 31st August 2014, 06:30   #54

Hello every one,
A group of us intend to drive from Bangalore to Ladakh and back in 2 SUV's next month. I purchased a Motorola TLKR T80 Extreme (Walkie talkie with 10Km range) from London to use it during our trip so that we can easily communicate and keep in touch.
Now after reading this whole thread I am totally confused.
Do I need a licence for this?
Does any special rules apply in J&K?
Please advice
Old 8th October 2014, 16:20   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratheeshba View Post
I purchased a Motorola TLKR T80 Extreme (Walkie talkie with 10Km range) from London to use it during our trip so that we can easily communicate and keep in touch.
I checked up the specification. This radio operates on the PMR Frequency (which is 446Mhz - UHF). This frequency is not license free in India. Infact PMR itself does not have any legal validity. The only license free band in India is in 27Mhz which is the CB Radio.

Quote:
Do I need a licence for this?
Does any special rules apply in J&K?
You would not get a license for this radio as WPC does not allow this frequency range to be used for radio communication by civilians. It may have allocated the frequency to some other agency. In J&K generally wireless communication licenses are tough to get. Even Amateur Radio Operators (HAMs) face the same problem.

PS: Don't know if you have already made your Leh trip.
Old 15th September 2019, 14:06   #56
BHPian

Updating an old thread.

It seems PMR 446-446.2Mhz is allowed in India. I've recently found 2 Brands selling it, Vertel and Aspera.

(For 446)
https://www.verteldigital.com

(For 446 and 865 I think)
http://asperaindia.com
Old 13th December 2019, 13:58   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet View Post
Updating an old thread.

It seems PMR 446-446.2Mhz is allowed in India. I've recently found 2 Brands selling it, Vertel and Aspera.

(For 446)
https://www.verteldigital.com

(For 446 and 865 I think)
http://asperaindia.com
Which would be better? A handheld CB or this?
Old 20th January 2021, 12:36   #58
BHPian

Although this is an old thread. Recently found articles online that some UHF frequencies have been allowed for use, license free.

In Amazon India there are a huge range of Walkie Talkies available using 400~480 Mhz being marketed as License Free.

The usability of portable radios on the road or on hikes especially when traveling in a group is hugely underestimated.

My professional radio license is not recognised in India and I am unable to find any D.O.T circulars which allow any frequency to be used license free.

Are there any such frequencies (Proper guidance from D.O.T) in the VHF/UHF range for portable transceivers which are allowed for use license free in India in 2021?
Old 20th January 2021, 15:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungax View Post
Are there any such frequencies (Proper guidance from D.O.T) in the VHF/UHF range for portable transceivers which are allowed for use license free in India in 2021?
Personal Mobile Radio 446 MHz device with a power output of less than 500 mW doesn't require a license.

Refer page 14, Table - V https://dot.gov.in/sites/default/fil...pdf?download=1
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 15:58   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Personal Mobile Radio 446 MHz device with a power output of less than 500 mW doesn't require a license.

Refer page 14, Table - V https://dot.gov.in/sites/default/fil...pdf?download=1
Thanks!! This is exactly what I was looking for , however none of the cheap Walkie Talkies available in Amazon have type approval certificates.

So basically without the certificates they will be illegal.
Will check from established brands like Entel or Motorola.

Most Viewed