Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 18:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Low Voltage Woes in Coorg

We're doing a small place in Coorg and thought I'd pick the diverse brains at TBhp to sort out problems we've been having there with the voltage. The area has power cuts every now and then, but the bigger issue is when there is electricity! The voltage is usually 150-180.

Its a naturally beautiful place, so its not really very bright lights for any specific need thats required, but the change in voltage and bulbs dimming (incandescent) or switching off/on (CFLs) can get to one.

We do have solar backup. Was wondering if its possible to somehow use this, or added capacity, to boost the voltage when there's electricity as well ? What other options exist for solving this ?

Last edited by Dippy : 8th March 2010 at 11:42. Reason: Removing website url
Old 5th March 2010, 23:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Saab,

Sorry I can't help on my own. Speak to contacts in Kashmir if you can. I was there recently, and its an endemic problem in the winters (low ice melt and hence low generation). They can advise how they work. There's sunnykashmir paaji on indiamike otherwise!!
Old 6th March 2010, 02:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

I suffer the same problem.
Solution #1. Buy a step up voltage stabilizer. This thing is usually a metal box the size of a UPS. can be used to run induvidual appliances or a few fans/lights (~500VA). The voltage adjustment is manual, like an old fan's regulator knob . Cost = 1K for a 500VA unit

Solution #2. Buy a Servo stabilizer. Same thing, except that the switching is continuous, and done automatically. Pricier & better suited to higher loads. Cost = 10k for a 2KVA unit ( runs my whole house except the fridge & washing machine)

These are trivandrum prices. I suppose you should find them in bangalore (SP road?)
And do specify the input voltage range. Standard is 120~250V, I got mine made for 80~220 ( cost a bit more)
Old 11th March 2010, 17:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

@greenhorn Thanks a ton! I'll explore those options. Meanwhile, the 5W CFLs seem to be doing better - less bright but decent, given the conditions.

Meanwhile, a couple of lanterns add to the duties, and inadvertently have added old world charm to the place
Old 18th March 2010, 13:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
or switching off/on (CFLs) can get to one.
I did not quite get what u meant by this. CFLs have no problem switching at low voltages.

I think servo stabilizers would be good. but they are used mostly for voltage fluctuations to stabilize the voltage.

if you have a low voltage that is constant, a step up would be fine. manual is better than automatic in my opinion. Just tell the manufacturer to make a wide voltage range. you can get a 1 kv for about 5000 rs.

Edit: You will get a 1 KV step up for about 3500 rs or so

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th March 2010 at 14:27. Reason: Back to back posts, please wait for moderator approval to edit the original post.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
if you have a low voltage that is constant, a step up would be fine. manual is better than automatic in my opinion. Just tell the manufacturer to make a wide voltage range. you can get a 1 kv for about 5000 rs.

Edit: You will get a 1 KV step up for about 3500 rs or so
Thanks! The CFLs - thats from observed behaviour. Dunno if its logical, but the higher wattage ones do not always switch on, but the 5-8W ones do.

Will ask locals about the efficacy of step-up stabilizers and pursue that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks