Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2005, 19:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rto Harrassment!!!

Guys listen to this... My friend drove down from kerala last week,thats on sunday to Bangalore and he was suppose to head back tomorrow, thats on saturday. Now, yesterday Koramangla RTO cops caught him around Koramangla and confiscated his RC book and charged him for using an outstate registered car in karnataka. They asked my friend to come over to the RTO today to pay the fine...Well, my friend goes to RTO and to everyones shockkker they are asking him to pay 30,000bucks!!! What the hell??? He doesnt even know anyone who can help him out here...Im helpless myself as I dont understand a thing about it!!! HELP GUYS...SOS!!!!
Old 23rd September 2005, 19:51   #2
BHPian

You are allowed to stay on with your car's original registration when you come down to another state for some time. I think it is 3 months. If your friend has proof he drove down (highway toll slip, petrol pump receipt from Kerala before he left), he can show that and take his RC book back.
Old 23rd September 2005, 19:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran
You are allowed to stay on with your car's original registration when you come down to another state for some time. I think it is 3 months. If your friend has proof he drove down (highway toll slip, petrol pump receipt from Kerala before he left), he can show that and take his RC book back.
Hey thanks a lot Simran,,,actualy my friend did show the toll receipts to the RTO guys to no heed!!! Itseems they were just not ready to discuss and were getting him to do the running around from one dpartment in the RTO to another...Guess its again one of those cheap tricks by our so called POLICE!!! You arent too sure about whether its 3months right? considering that it atleast should be 1 month if not more, what say?...but this poor guy has been here for less than a week man and 30k is awful lotta deutch...Anyws, Im gona call him right away and let him know bout it.
Thanks bud.
Old 23rd September 2005, 20:02   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

***..ask him not to pay a single rupee if hes been here only for a week..and the toll receipts say it all..wonder whats the point on which the RTO wallas have detained his RC book..better find out before they put false allegations and further complicate matters for ur friend..
Old 23rd September 2005, 20:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Talk to higher authorities without fear.
Old 23rd September 2005, 22:19   #6
BHPian

doesn't work ... the rto guys in blr suck big time ... i had the same problem ... AP car in bangalore ... just that i had the car for more than 6 months ... but i used to get bills from hyd regularly through friends ... so, once, the rto guys caught me ... and even though i showed the bills, they didn't listen ... so had to pay the touts some 800 rupees or so - to issue me a road tax paid receipt for 1 week (no clue if anyone has paid road tax for a week ) and got my rc book and the rest back.

s

Last edited by satan_crazy : 23rd September 2005 at 22:21.
Old 23rd September 2005, 22:25   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
Koramangla RTO cops caught him around Koramangla and confiscated his RC book and charged him for using an outstate registered car in karnataka.
This shows that it's end of the month for these sharks to make some fast money.
Wolf, tell your friend that RTO cannot confiscate a car because it has other state registration number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
actualy my friend did show the toll receipts to the RTO guys to no heed!!!
He can make a real case against them. Only if he has the energy. As RX says, talk to higher authorities without fear. Meet the police commisioner. He's suppose to meet everybody at his Infantry Road office.
Old 23rd September 2005, 22:41   #8
BHPian

rudra sir, with all due respect, i don't know if it is even possible to argue with those guys. they are extremely unruly and disrespectful. at the end of the day, one would rather want to just throw them the money and get away; imagine what would happen if the car were to be kept at the station overnight.
and btw, is there a different commissioner for traffic police? or just one who takes cares of the normal police and the traffic police?
Old 24th September 2005, 01:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran
6 months. Whenever I drive to Bangalore I make sure I get a PUC certificate from somewhere in Kerala just in case.

The cops are harassing your friend without any valid grounds - he is supposed to pay Karnataka Road Tax only if they can prove that he lives in the State. If all of us were to pay the Road Tax for every state we crossed nobody would travel across India.

They cannot confiscate the RC book on those grounds - get a lawyer and head for the police station. I'm assuming that all your friend's papers are in order and that he doesnt own any property in Karnataka that could be used against him.

I hate this lifetime tax rule in Karnataka - its time somebody took this issue to court.
Old 24th September 2005, 16:02   #10
BANNED

Guys, wat the heck is this all about ?? i didnt even know that such a rule existed ... dumb me i guess . Well atleast we dont seem to have this kind of problem in my part of teh country . I never heard of anyone getting their car impounded or as a matter of fact even challaned for this . I have a Delhi registered car in Himachal for the past 13 yrs but no problem at all .. guess we are lucky !! And if this is a national law pls tell so that I can double check with my local RTO if this is true...

cheers
Old 24th September 2005, 16:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
And if this is a national law pls tell so that I can double check with my local RTO if this is true...

cheers
This is not a national law. SOme states (I know about Karnataka, not sure if there are any more) insist that you pay lifetime tax to their government irrespective of whether or not you've paid the same tax elsewhere in India if you 've used the vehicle or lived in that state for > 6 months.

Usually it means that you shell out between Rs.20,000/- and Rs.35,000/- more when you shift to Karnataka, since their tax rates are also higher. You're then expected to take a certificate from the Karnataka RTO, take it to the RTO in the original state and claim a refund. Obviously you MAY or may not get a certain amount of the original tax back from your state of origin by the time you retire...

I think this rule is unconstitutional since it questions the citizen's right to live or move around anywhere in India. A good lawyer should be able to get a judgement on this - if I were asked to pay up Rs.30,000/- I'd rather go to a lawyer...
Old 24th September 2005, 18:12   #12
BHPian

Well u are legally allowed to drive in a state with a car registered outside only for 3 months. After that u need to get the car registered in the state you are in. that’s the law

during my 2+ years in Mumbai, I did get pulled over by the cops a lot as my car was a delhi registered one , but I used to tell them that I am driving from Chennai to Delhi and staying in Mumbai with a few friends for a day or so , and after verifying my driving license which was issued from DELHI Authority they would let me go .

In this case I guess my friend what can suggest your friend to go to the senior officer and plead his case provided he as all the documents ready with him. I.e. toll receipts, fuel bills, any other bills etc etc .

These are the numbers of the police officials of Bangalore.
http://www.onlinebangalore.com/gove/banp/bangpol2.html
Let’s hope this is of any use to you. I have some friends in Bangalore, will speak to them and revert back to you. Sorry about your friend though, but that’s how the police are I guess.

Also try and tell him to try and settle the issue by paying off the guy who challenged him. That’s the best I can think of right now.
Old 7th August 2006, 15:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dude if nothing works out with the RTO.Chuck the RC book.Let the police keep it and as they are at fault for illegaly impounding his RC book they wont be able to do much with it anyways.When he gets back home ask him to file an FIR in the local police station in Kerala that he has lost his RC book.With this FIR he can apply for a new RC book and till the new RC book arrives he can use the FIR whenever a cop catches him in kerela and asks for the RC book.Its an easy way out and will cost u at max 800 bucks if u give it to an agent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks