Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th May 2019, 18:52   #121
Team-BHP Support

Default re: The Team-BHP Swimming Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I'm really interested - but I'm a bit doubtful about learning this via the course videos. Does the content really provide one with meaningful aspects vis-a-vis a normal training course? Or compared to generic info available online like this?
The guy in that article learned from the TI video. What he has provided is just a preview, at 30,000ft bird's eye view.

BTW, I am reading the PDF that came with it. I had to smile at one statement because I did the same thing.
Quote:
While freestyle was unquestionably faster than other strokes, it was so difficult to learn that fewer than 30 percent of American adults can complete a single length of a 25-yard pool. The vast majority has opted for the simpler, and far less tiring, breaststroke.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 19:15   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: The Team-BHP Swimming Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I'm really interested - but I'm a bit doubtful about learning this via the course videos. Does the content really provide one with meaningful aspects vis-a-vis a normal training course? Or compared to generic info available online like this?
The videos are very well organized. They have structured exercises that teach you each part of the technique like breathing, hand propulsion, leg movement and then putting it all together. I was able to implement the full technique in 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, I am reading the PDF that came with it. I had to smile at one statement because I did the same thing.
Quote:
While freestyle was unquestionably faster than other strokes, it was so difficult to learn that fewer than 30 percent of American adults can complete a single length of a 25-yard pool. The vast majority has opted for the simpler, and far less tiring, breaststroke.
This is so true. Three years back, I used to get so frustrated with freestyle (I would lose breath in just 50 meters), that I did most of my swim in breast stroke. And I also had a very bad form in my breast stroke. Because of this I did my first 2.5km open water swim in a little over 2 hours while everyone else finished 5km in that time. That is when I decided to focus on freestyle and came across the TI method.

Now I find the swim part of the Triathlon to be the easiest
graaja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:41   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Team-BHP Swimming Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
I have immense respect for you triathletes, after trying to swim in the open ocean myself. It was an exhilarating as well as terrifying experience for me (A bit like bungee-jumping). Realized its a complete different ball-game from swimming in the pool. One feels really puny when faced with the forces of nature!! Even then, I am looking forward to the next time I can swim in the open sea.
As a person who has done some meaningful sea swimming in earlier years I would not recommend it for those who do not have the facility to train in the open sea under supervision. Other than the requirement of being very fit swimming in open sea, even with a snorkel, can lead to moments of panic that can be dangerous at best or fatal at worst. When panic occurs it just doesn't happen it envelopes you. This would be my sincere advice.
V.Narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:31   #124
BHPian

When you say your times improved because of doing TI over regular Freestyle, is it because of increased stamina. Because I don't think TI can actually be faster than regular freestyle.
The reasoning makes sense because the thigh muscles are the biggest in the body and if you are not moving them then you would be using less oxygen, but I find it hard to believe that TI can be faster than Freestyle, if you have the stamina.

I used to be a very fast swimmer and the only style I learned was freestyle. I taught my brother freestyle in 10 days and most of it was removing his fear. After that learning freestyle seemed like child's play. I guess, it all depends on your coach. I was lucky that in Chandigarh, the pools had the same coach for the normal public who also coached the national level swimmers and I was lucky to get one on one training as well because the coach liked kids who wanted to learn how to swim properly rather than just play around. He wanted me to try for the state team but I got enamoured by cricket at the wrong time.
rdst_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2019, 13:40   #125
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
As a person who has done some meaningful sea swimming in earlier years I would not recommend it for those who do not have the facility to train in the open sea under supervision. Other than the requirement of being very fit swimming in open sea, even with a snorkel, can lead to moments of panic that can be dangerous at best or fatal at worst. When panic occurs it just doesn't happen it envelopes you. This would be my sincere advice.
I completely appreciate & endorse your advice. I was lucky enough to have a very competent guide with me on my first swim in the sea. This made a lot of difference!! (One comment of his has always stayed in my mind - "Don't fight the water").
AJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2019, 15:17   #126

I have recently joined and came across this thread.

There is good one in Delhi located at SRCC, North Campus, Delhi University.
It is a decent size, Max Depth 15 Ft and Lowest 3 Ft.
It is well maintained, recently renovated. It has changing rooms and has a bunch of shifts, also dedicated Girl's shift.
It is a bit costly for public and is reasonable for college students and staff.
reach_gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2019, 16:08   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
When you say your times improved because of doing TI over regular Freestyle, is it because of increased stamina. Because I don't think TI can actually be faster than regular freestyle.

The reasoning makes sense because the thigh muscles are the biggest in the body and if you are not moving them then you would be using less oxygen, but I find it hard to believe that TI can be faster than Freestyle, if you have the stamina...
Even in TI you still need stamina to do long distance. TI is not different from freestyle. It is just a variation of freestyle. And it focuses more on efficiency than power and is more suitable for long distance swimming than sprints.

By changing from a 6 beat kick to 2 beat kick, you may lose some propulsion, but you save more energy. In regular freestyle, by the time the recovering hand enters water, the other hand is already halfway through the stroke. This creates a higher drag in the water. But in TI, the power stroke starts only after the recovering hand enters water. This reduces drag and results in higher efficiency.

Another advantage of TI in my own experience is that it is suitable for people who have taken to swimming late in life (I started when I was 41) and do not have any professional/competitive swimming background.

Swimming involves a lot of muscles - core, legs, arms, chest and shoulders. All of these should be conditioned and work in tandem to achieve maximum speed. When one starts swimming from an early age, it is easy to condition your body. But when you start swimming at a later stage in life, all these muscle groups would have developed at different levels depending on lifestyle and it may not be possible to condition them as a kid would do.
graaja is online now   Reply With Quote