re: The Team-BHP Swimming Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Here you go:
http://maps.google.co.in/local_url?d...z9vE5qg&dtab=2

Banashankari Swimming Pool
17th B Cross Road, Banashankari Stage II, Banashankari
Bangalore, Karnataka
@Audioholic, this is close to where I stay too, what are the membership and causal use options, and is this place kid friendy? thanks in advance
Old 31st August 2015, 12:04   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishgator View Post
@Audioholic, this is close to where I stay too, what are the membership and causal use options, and is this place kid friendy? thanks in advance
Well we stayed just opposite to swing pool. I am not aware if membership is offered. But there is regular use was Rs. 25 per hr. They have separate swimming pool for kids.
Old 31st August 2015, 13:00   #93
BHPian

Any pools at North Bangalore with lady instructors ? Wife and Kid (9Yrs) are planning for swimming during the weekends.
Old 15th May 2019, 20:37   #94
BHPian

Swimming Pools in Mumbai

Hi All,

Don't we all like to cool off in this heat with a nice little swim in the neighborhood swimming pool? Unfortunately, not all of us have that privilege of a neighborhood swimming pool where we could just go and get rejuvenated.

Apart from this, I have another reason to look for a swimming pool. Since I got my knee operated for a torn ACL regeneration, my doc adviced me to walk in the pool to build the strength back. However, internet did not throw out good options on research (was looking for specific requirements) and could not find a thread here on the forum for pools in Mumbai (found one for Bangalore though).

So, my fellow BHPians, please help me and others looking for a "dupki Zindagi ki" this summer find a satisfactory swimming pool.

My requirements:
1. The water and the pool itself should be clean and maintained regularly (I don't know is what constitutes a regular pool maintenance; experts please throw some light)
2. Not a lot unruly crowd
3. Trainer is optional
4. I would prefer one in or around Andheri (but for the benefit of everyone, do not hesitate to mention good ones outside)
5. Monthly/quarterly membership plans (one club qouted 10L for lifetime membership - My car costs that much )
6. Membership should be reasonable. I don't mind paying per session as well if that keeps the cost down
7. Open on weekends (Slaves of the corporate world that were are)

Also, as a last resort, let me know if there are members who can take guests for a few pool sessions. But this would be my absolute last resort since I find it a bit awkward going to a club and using their facilities as a guest. Once is fine but not regularly.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GTO : 17th May 2019 at 09:44. Reason: typo
Old 16th May 2019, 10:07   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been swimming in Bangalore since I was a kid. So have experienced a few pools, listing them and my opinions:

1. Sadashivnagar pool (next to Sankey tank) - clean, well maintained, Olympic sized.
2. Ulsoor pool (next to Ulsoor Lake) - the best pool I've used - deep, Olympic sized, clean, well-maintained, does get very, very crowded on weekends though.
3. Indiranagar Club pool - ok size, well maintained.
4. Bangalore Club pool - great pool, well maintained.
5. Activ club pool at RMZ Eco world - small, but well maintained and scenic being a rooftoop pool.
6. Bangalore games and fitness institute at Malleshpalya - used to be an ok pool, pathetic the last time I was there, dirty and too many people.
7. St.Joseph's Indian High School pool - used to be a good pool, of late maintenance has gone down badly.

Last edited by am1m : 16th May 2019 at 10:18.
Old 16th May 2019, 10:23   #96
Team-BHP Support

When I saw this thread few years ago, I remembered how difficult it is to get access to a swimming pool. I never had access while growing up. But since 2010 I have access to a superbly maintained 60x30ft apartment pool. Therefore, thanks to this thread, I finally learned swimming at age 46 at my apartment pool.

Apartment pools are best if you have them. It is deserted most of time and usually well maintained. When I used to learn, I used to have the entire pool for myself.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th May 2019 at 10:25.
Old 16th May 2019, 14:25   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to observe this enthusiasm for swimming. Most of you know these but for the benefit of all I'm posting some well worn safety rules related to swimming in a swimming pool. For swimming in the open sea, lake or river a further set would apply.

Water & Fire are dangerous only when you forget they are water and fire.

Swim only in pools that have a lifeguard.
Stay out of the water when you are very tired, cold, or overheated.
Follow all swimming rules posted at the swimming area - they are there for a reason.
Obey the lifeguard’s instruction.
If you can’t see the bottom of the pool in the deep end or the water is cloudy, don’t swim there.
Don’t chew gum or eat while swimming, you could choke - very important.
Do not push, shove, or run near the water, horseplay can be dangerous.
Get out of the water if you see lightning or hear thunder - lightning likes water bodies.
Swim a safe distance away from diving boards and slides. Never swim under them. Someone might jump on you.

Swim safe. Swim happy. Swimming is my favourite form of exercise and long and risky swims can be executed provided you follow the rules of safety and don't get over confident.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 09:43   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Most of you know these but for the benefit of all I'm posting some well worn safety rules related to swimming in a swimming pool. For swimming in the open sea, lake or river a further set would apply.
Nice points, thanks!

Would also like to add a couple- when learning how to swim, please learn under the supervision of someone who can swim well. The other day, while taking a break between laps, started chatting with a person in the pool. Had noticed earlier that he was swimming just about ok, but seemed a bit shaky. He proudly informed me that he was learning to swim 'from YouTube'! Now YouTube is great, but not sure it can be a good medium to learn things related to motor functions such as swimming or driving where accidents can happen.

Also, swimming in a pool and in an open body of water are very, very different. You may be a strong swimmer in a pool, but currents in water bodies that are not visible on the surface can surprise anyone. I've had two close shaves, one in the sea when I was a kid and one in a small river when I was in college. The first time, a lifeguard on the beach spotted me and dragged me out! The second time I actually drifted downstream for a bit till luckily the current eased out and I could make it to the bank. Both times, it was my confidence in the pool that led to me to being over-confident that I could go further in a open water body. (Now, I'm older and (hopefully) wiser. )

Last edited by am1m : 17th May 2019 at 10:00.
Old 17th May 2019, 11:25   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
He proudly informed me that he was learning to swim 'from YouTube'! Now YouTube is great, but not sure it can be a good medium to learn things related to motor functions such as swimming or driving where accidents can happen.
I am a Youtube taught swimmer. My freestyle is shoddy, but I am much better at breaststroke.

But then the chances of drowning in a 4.5ft deep pool is non-existent. I never get into rivers and sea for swimming, I am too old to overestimate my limits.
Old 17th May 2019, 11:52   #100
Team-BHP Support

I'm learning how to swim at 40! Right now, I'm just holding on to the edge and flapping my legs. But something strange I noticed at our apartment pool:

My father-in-law is a self-taught swimmer who learnt how to swim in a pond/well. He swims with his head above the water. But in the pool, there are a bunch of kids who probably learnt how to swim in a pool. They come with goggles and head cap. When they swim, their face is almost always under water and they hold their breath while swimming.

What is the right way?

Last edited by SmartCat : 17th May 2019 at 11:54.
Old 17th May 2019, 12:07   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
What is the right way?

The efficient way to swim freestyle is keeping your head under water and tilting it to breathe from the side by making a Popeye face (with one goggle still under the water). This technique makes you go faster than keeping head out as it creates lower drag. As a kid, I learnt swimming the "desi" way by keeping my head up at all times. Last year, I unlearned my old technique and relearned the efficient one for endurance swims.

Flapping legs holding kickboard is good exercise. Even best swimmers out there can get ~10-15% propulsion from their leg kicks. Catch portion of your freestyle stroke generates most propulsion.

Last edited by pratika : 17th May 2019 at 12:21. Reason: added quote
Old 17th May 2019, 12:09   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
My father-in-law is a self-taught swimmer who learnt how to swim in a pond/well. He swims with his head above the water. But in the pool, there are a bunch of kids who probably learnt how to swim in a pool. They come with goggles and head cap. When they swim, their face is almost always under water and they hold their breath while swimming.

What is the right way?
In freestyle you'll have to take a breath, then hold it under the water for a second then take a breath again, that's the most efficient way to do it. Your father in law is probably just "floating", or maybe swimming at a very slow speed.

As a beginner I too was taught to hold my breath under water, but I was never asked to hold my breath and swim. What I'm wondering is, is your pool really small? How else are they able to hold their breath while swimming all the time? Kids can't hold their breath for so long, or am I missing something here?

Last edited by boniver : 17th May 2019 at 12:10.
Old 17th May 2019, 12:23   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
In freestyle you'll have to take a breath, then hold it under the water for a second then take a breath again, that's the most efficient way to do it.

You probably mean exhale when face is under water. Holding breath causes higher CO2 in the body leading to fatigue pretty quickly.
Old 17th May 2019, 12:38   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
You probably mean exhale when face is under water. Holding breath causes higher CO2 in the body leading to fatigue pretty quickly.
Oops yes sorry, that's what I meant. Taking a breath with every alternate stroke, and exhaling underwater. Thanks for the correction.
Old 17th May 2019, 14:23   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
The efficient way to swim freestyle is keeping your head under water and tilting it to breathe from the side by making a Popeye face (with one goggle still under the water). This technique makes you go faster than keeping head out as it creates lower drag.
Makes sense!

Quote:
Flapping legs holding kickboard is good exercise. Even best swimmers out there can get ~10-15% propulsion from their leg kicks. Catch portion of your freestyle stroke generates most propulsion.
Thanks for the kickboard tip. Will pick it up from Amazon.in

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Your father in law is probably just "floating", or maybe swimming at a very slow speed. As a beginner I too was taught to hold my breath under water, but I was never asked to hold my breath and swim. What I'm wondering is, is your pool really small? How else are they able to hold their breath while swimming all the time? Kids can't hold their breath for so long, or am I missing something here?
Not sure - I guess the kids breathe by turning their heads like pratika said. The pool is quite large. My FIL can do a lap length-wise (with head above the water) but the kids can only do it width-wise. Pool is not very deep - maybe 4 or 4.5 feet with constant depth.

The Team-BHP Swimming Thread-img20190517wa0023.jpg

Most Viewed