Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 21:40   #1
BHPian

Vaccination needs when travelling outside India (Yellow fever?)

I was almost set to travel to Brazil (tickets and hotel booked) when my travel agent told me (rather casually) that I need Yellow fever vaccination before I travel or else I could be placed under quarantine for a week when I return to India!

Details available here: HEALTH REGULATIONS

I found out that vaccinations must be done at the "Public Health Institute" (located opposite S J Polytechnic Institute, Sheshadri Road, Bangalore) and are carried out only on Wednesdays. Tried calling them but I couldn't get an appointment for tomorrow. Now I'm stuck and will have to wait until next Wednesday so that I can get the shots.

The vaccine is only effective after 10 days of taking the shots so its actually pointless for the brief period that I'll actually be in Brazil. Does anyone here have any other information about Yellow Fever vaccinations? I need help.
Old 9th March 2010, 21:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
I was almost set to travel to Brazil (tickets and hotel booked) when my travel agent told me (rather casually) that I need Yellow fever vaccination before I travel or else I could be placed under quarantine for a week when I return to India!
Yellow fever/heppatitis/jaundice? Didnt know it was mandatory to get it. They should be ok if you get vaccined from a known private hospital i guess.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2010 at 12:06. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 9th March 2010, 22:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Didnt know it was mandatory to get it.
It is mandatory to have a yellow-fever vaccination before entering India if you have come from. or travelled through, a country where it is endemic.

As far as I know, there is no requirement for any vaccination before leaving India, just this one about entering/returning.
Old 9th March 2010, 22:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
I need Yellow fever vaccination before I travel or else I could be placed under quarantine for a week when I return to India!
Should have highlighted that the vaccination certificate is needed when you are returning to India after visiting Africa or Latin America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Yellow fever/heppatitis/jaundice? Didnt know it was mandatory to get it. They should be ok if you get vaccined from a known private hospital i guess.
Nope - the vaccination certificated is only issued from the "Public Health Institute" in Bangalore. AFAIK - Private hospitals cannot issue this certificate. Hence the problem, this vaccination is only given on Wednesdays every week and by prior appointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is mandatory to have a yellow-fever vaccination before entering India if you have come from. or travelled through, a country where it is endemic.

As far as I know, there is no requirement for any vaccination before leaving India, just this one about entering/returning.
True, but I wouldn't want to leave India without getting the vaccination certificate. Getting the vaccination done while I'm in Brazil could turn out to be a bigger problem since I don't have first hand information about what the process will be. Spending a week in quarantine isn't something I'm looking forward to.

Last edited by CrackedHead : 9th March 2010 at 22:46.
Old 13th March 2010, 11:32   #5
BHPian

Update: After a lot of running around. I found that the Vaccine is available at Manipal hospital as well (couldn't manage to get it at the government center).
Old 13th March 2010, 14:21   #6
mkh
Senior - BHPian

I had got it taken too- none bothered to check btw. its ONLY if you are going to north brazil, i went south hence no use. However i got it done in Delhi- easier there than here. Its only once a week here and sometimes NO STOCK.
BTW which part are you going to? Hope you have a great time, it will be quite hot now and you will need vaccination for over exposure to your eyes cause people do not like to wear a lot when its hot
Old 13th March 2010, 18:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Just curious - do you need the vaccine if you are travelling to Australia

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks