Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2005, 22:05   #16
BHPian

Press Ctrl + Alt + Del ,select Performance dialog box and again do the same thing to to get that display error , when u get that, see the processor utilization if its at 100% , select the process dialog box in task manager and see which process is taking cpu utilization to 100%, once u know this then post the application name , then i can guide u further.
Old 27th September 2005, 23:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Could be a processor heat issue. AMD (2000) are known to have heating issues. And I'm running a single fan, not twins.

But it's rather cool, that blue shade, don't you think?!
Hey v1p3r,

I doubt its a heating issue with your processor (AMD). Im using Athlon XP 2400 which from user reviews heat up the most untill the '64' bit processors were released. Im running a single fan and heating dosent seem to disturb my sytem performance. FYI i am using just a 256mb ddr.

I might be wrong but i guess your display/graphics card is not performing well ie if you have plenty of ram.... else try upgrading to a larger ram size ..

Ride On!
Old 28th September 2005, 09:26   #18
BHPian

It looks like a memory issue.
What is the amount of RAM that you have?
At the point where you ran the key strokes did you have a memory intensive program running?

What are the key strokes that you attempted.
Old 28th September 2005, 16:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Memory intensive? The usual MSN Messenger and IE...

No idea, but it's a left right click combo...
Old 28th September 2005, 23:30   #20
BHPian

Hi v1p3r,

If this problem happens very often/all the time, it makes me think it has to do something with the registry. Have you done a adware/spyware check on your system? If not, do it .... Ad-aware is a popular adware/spyware scanner. If you dont have it you can download it from www.download.com for free. Download, install and run it .... it just might solve your issue. If this solves your problem remember to use it everytime you intall a new program or software.

On the other hand if you have already done this/ this dosent solve your problem. i'd recommend you to go for a complete reinstall for your windows because it might have something to do with your registries as i said earlier. Another tip : After a fresh windows install try getting your hands on Norton Ghost. Install it and the other s/w / programs that you will be using. Get your windows updated (you can now only do that if you have a genuine copy of windows .... sad), get you antivirus definitions up to date. Then run Norton Gost and make an image of your 'C' drive (windows install drive) and save it either on another partition ('D' , 'E' drive) or a pair of blank cd's. This 'lengthy' process will help you save time if something else was to mess up with your operating system in the future /you have a system crash. In the event of that happening, all you have to do is copy this image that you have mad eon your 'C' drive. It will save you from the pain of reinstalling windows and all the necessary s/w, programs and definitions/updates.

Another option can be that you use a different internet browser like say mozilla firefox. See if the problem persists or something else happens that shouldnt.

Hope this helps clear you problem.

Cheers!

P
Old 28th September 2005, 23:39   #21
BHPian

I think it is your PC hitting it's rev-limiter... ease up on the the (graphics) accelerator

- T u r b o C -
Old 30th September 2005, 14:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

is win 2000 better or is xp better ??any problems faced by users of xp/2000 please help as i have to get it changed soon.
Old 30th September 2005, 16:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
is win 2000 better or is xp better ??any problems faced by users of xp/2000 please help as i have to get it changed soon.
both have their shares of bugs...

i would frankly recommend a win2k server if its possible for you to get one.

the only issue would be that the graphics may not appear as tweaked as in XP. also, you would have to put the "corporate" edition of norton anitvirus, normal one wont work.

Its pretty stable... have it on my notebook for over a year, no crashes (crossing fingers here) yet.
Old 30th September 2005, 16:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

hey Scuderia

thanx for the quick reply actually on my laptop i have win 2000 pro and every one was telling me to change to xp.frankly i didnt see the need to but every one said xp was better so just wanted to know if its better tto switch to xp or stick with win 2000.

Rev
Old 30th September 2005, 17:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
Windows XP is evolution of Windows 2000
so naturally yes XP is better than Windows 200
but it depends on what you want
If you are getting your work done & have no issues then why upgrade?
(if ain't broken, why fix? )

oh & BTW windows 2000 is on extended support while WindowsXP is supported by microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia
i would frankly recommend a win2k server if its possible for you to get one.
ever tried Windows Server 2003 ?
it makes Windows 2000 server look like its from Freddy Flinstones time
Old 1st October 2005, 00:13   #26
SLK
Senior - BHPian

true ... have been working with Windows Server 2003s for almost a couple of years now... and XP feels like an unstable tiny software.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks