Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2016, 18:40   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mangalore/Udupi/Manipal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
... Are there any other beach side fish fry restaurants/dhabas on the coast from M'lore to Kundapur?
There is a beach side restaurant near Kundapur, frequented by locals. Food is really good, and fish a size or 2 larger than what you get elsewhere. I think it is called Kinara Bar and Restaurant. Access is from Koteshwar or Kodi Road (via Hangaluru). Nice place to kickback and relax in the evening.
Old 4th September 2018, 08:45   #152
BHPian

Mod Note : Post deleted. Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th September 2018 at 09:25. Reason: See note in post.
Old 5th September 2018, 16:41   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My son studied and worked in Manipal 1997-2013, my daughter-in-law is from there
What a co-incidence! My wife and I studied in Manipal from 1997-2001! My mom and sister-in-law too are Manipal alumnae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I think it is called Kinara Bar and Restaurant.
Kinara is still around?! We used to go there once in a while. I remember one time just after the last exam for one semester about 25-30 of us went to the beach on bikes! Headed to Kinara after that and the staff did a great job keeping us well fed! Is Diana in Udupi still around? My mom remembers eating there and we too went while we were at Manipal. Though the locations were different.

Last edited by am1m : 5th September 2018 at 16:47.
Old 5th September 2018, 18:38   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
... Kinara is still around?! We used to go there once in a while. I remember one time just after the last exam for one semester about 25-30 of us went to the beach on bikes! Headed to Kinara after that and the staff did a great job keeping us well fed! Is Diana in Udupi still around? My mom remembers eating there and we too went while we were at Manipal. Though the locations were different.
Kinara is still around. At least it was when I went there a couple of years back.

Diana is also very much around, near Radio Park.
Old 17th December 2018, 07:57   #155

Had been to Mangalore recently and had lunch at Maharaja Family Restaurant. Fish was fresh and preparation was excellent. Avoid the crab dishes, crab shell cracker were not provided and the crab size was small.
The hotel had underground parking and is located on Bunts Hostel Rd.
Old 17th December 2018, 11:59   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Kinara is still around. At least it was when I went there a couple of years back.
Kinara is still around. I visited the place over the weekend. Nothing beats having a seafood dinner by the beach. A great place to kick back and relax for sure.
Old 5th January 2019, 14:16   #157
BHPian

Anybody visited Naraina (that fish place in Bundar) recently?
- Any feedback?

The last time I packed some fried fish from there.
As I mentioned in that earlier post, - No one could eat it:
Salt overload!
We finally returned the entire pack and walked - told them to keep the "change".
Old 5th January 2019, 14:39   #158
Team-BHP Support

I hardly see any update on Udupi restaurants here. There is a new entry on the NH66 (old NH17), while passing by Udupi. It is bang on the highway, the complex is known as Hotel Kartik Estate, it has separate veg and non-veg restaurants. Both are top class, I regularly do takeout as a result.
Old 20th January 2021, 22:31   #159
BHPian

We stayed at a place called Cordel Farms in Mangalore, about 3km from Kodailbail area, and had some very good local food. There was a mix of home-cooked and local restaurant bought.

These were home-cooked. All were fabulous.

Akki roti (with red rice)
A Guide: Eating out in Mangalore/Udupi/Manipal-cordel-akki-roti.jpg

Moode - rice cakes
A Guide: Eating out in Mangalore/Udupi/Manipal-cordel-moode3.jpg

Pelakai adde - made with jackfruit
A Guide: Eating out in Mangalore/Udupi/Manipal-cordel-pelakai-adde.jpg

Chicken curry
Vegetable rice

Only way to get these is to stay at the place. You can check out the pics at https://www.booking.com/hotel/in/cor...ore.en-gb.html. The place is very simple, run by an old friendly couple. The birds that come knocking on windows early morning was the main attraction for us. (I don't get anything for plugging the place!)

They bought these from a local place as part of breakfast, but we didn't catch the name. They were very good.

Biscuit roti
A Guide: Eating out in Mangalore/Udupi/Manipal-cordel-biscuit-roti2.jpg

Mangalore Buns
A Guide: Eating out in Mangalore/Udupi/Manipal-cordel-mangalore-buns.jpg

Mangalore Bonda

Other than these, we also tried 2 Shetty Lunch Homes - one in Mangalore and the other at Kundapur.

Shetty Lunch Home, Mangalore

Food tasted good, but very greasy. The chicken thali had samplers for Chicken Ghee Roast, Chicken Sukka, Mangalore Chicken Curry, Kundapur Chicken. They were all distinctly flavored.

Shetty Lunch Home, Kundapur

Tried Kundapur Chicken curry, this was much better. I guess this is the original Shetty Lunch Home from 60s. Also tried the mutton biryani, this wasn't very impressive.
npal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 00:13   #160
BHPian

I am surprised Mangalore doesn't have a lot of ( May be I am not aware) pure veg hygienic south/north Indian restaurants. Sagar Ratna seems to be the only option. But the food isn't great.

I was a fan of Parijatha in Kundapura. But its no longer the same.
Old 21st January 2021, 12:30   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
I am surprised Mangalore doesn't have a lot of ( May be I am not aware) pure veg hygienic south/north Indian restaurants.
While Udupi is famous for pure veg restaurants around the world, you will be hard pressed to find good pure veg restaurants in Udupi area, by that I also mean Mangalore area. Good veg cooks are all brain drained into outside world. This is because pure vegetarians are a small minority in Udupi/Mangalore area, which means pure-veg restaurants don't have much demand. When I ran a company in Manipal, less than 5% of my staff were vegetarians.

The best Udupi veg restaurants are in Bangalore and Mumbai. Don't look for them in Udupi or Mangalore.

BTW, there is new veg restaurant in Manipal which has become very popular in short time, it is called Pai Tiffins. It is in the new complex opposite KMC.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st January 2021 at 12:33.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 17:08   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
I am surprised Mangalore doesn't have a lot of ( May be I am not aware) pure veg hygienic south/north Indian restaurants. Sagar Ratna seems to be the only option. But the food isn't great.
There are some in both the places.

In M'lore, the well known are 'Woodlands' next to PSR near Bunts Hostel, 'New Vishwa Bhavan' on KS Rao Road, 'Taj Mahal' at Hampankatta, 'Janatha Deluxe' near Manipal Convention Hall, 'Krishna Vilasa' near Urva Store bus stand.

In Udupi, the 'Woodlands' near Sri Krishna temple is a good choice. There is a decent restaurant attached to 'Ramakrishna Lodge' in the town. 'Mitra Samaja' near temple is well known for their 'outlook' giant paper dose.

Last edited by JMaruru : 21st January 2021 at 17:09.
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 17:36   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
In Udupi, the 'Woodlands' near Sri Krishna temple is a good choice. There is a decent restaurant attached to 'Ramakrishna Lodge' in the town. 'Mitra Samaja' near temple is well known for their 'outlook' giant paper dose.
These are really old restaurants, have they still retained their food taste and quality? One time, Diana used to be so famous, now they are not worth visiting.

BTW, Madhuvan in Manipal is really high quality pure veg place, you can also get Ideal icecream there.

There is also Suffron in Udupi, again pure veg with high quality.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 17:01   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
These are really old restaurants, have they still retained their food taste and quality?
I have been to 'Woodlands' in M'lore and Udupi on each and every visit. Both are crowded during lunch hours. 'Woodlands' at M'lore is famous for their plantain leaf meals. 'Krishna Vilasa' has been renovated and quite famous for their 'Biscuit Ambode'/Tovve Combo. 'Janatha Deluxe' at pattumudi complex has also maintained quality for all these years. These outlets are time tested and well known by old timers.
JMaruru is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 21:04   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
the complex is known as Hotel Kartik Estate, it has separate veg and non-veg restaurants. Both are top class, I regularly do takeout as a result.
We have stayed in this hotel for few nights during the year end and went to both veg and non-veg restaurants multiple times. I agree, both are very good and seen decent crowds both for lunch and dinner, even during this corona time. Non-veg lovers must try tandoori chicken here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks