Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 17:32   #1
BHPian

A Guide: Eating out in Mangalore/Udupi/Manipal

When you are in Mangalore and when the stomach grumbles, 99% of the Non-Vegies would say Fish. Yes no doubt, we get some amazing sea food here.
But then there are lot other stuff, other than Fish we get to meet our gastronomical needs.

And yes this thread is born for showing the BHPians what to eat and where to eat when in Mangala

My first pick is Narayana, a small-no-luxury hotel located in Bunder or State bank, serves one of the best fish fry.
This place serves Fish curry meals, a staple food for the locals here. The plate contains Boiled Rice, Fish curry(cocount based gravy with Sardine), one veg curry and pickle
And then you get to pick your fish fry. Anjal(King/Seer Fish) Fry being the most famous here. You also get Boothai(Sardine) and Bangude(Mackerel) fry and somedays there might be pomfret.
The fish is deep fried with some nice chilly paste.
You can wash down this meal with a nice spicy Buttermilk.

If you are a veggie, then this is not the place :(

OT : Me being a just-chicken eater, now a hard core fishetarian after being to this place.

Pssssst... Mangala folks please pour in about the places around here where one must go and musn't

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 15th March 2010 at 17:38.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2010, 19:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

I felt "Suvarna" at Managudde is very promising!
Old 15th March 2010, 19:09   #3
BHPian

Here are my two cents -

Manipal -
  • Blue waters (on weekdays. weekends you need to pay a cover charge). All the chicken items are pretty good. Liquor is a bit expensive
  • Cosmos - It's the coffee shop at the Valley View hotel. The tenderloin stake is highly recommended.
  • China Valley - reasonably priced chinese/thai/malay menu.
Udupi -
  • Diana - Good quality udupi veg cuisine
  • Woodlands hotel - the same as diana. But more crowded.
  • Udupi Residency - good choice of non veg/veg dishes
Kundapur -
  • Shetty Lunch Home - My personal favorite. The best chicken ghee roast I have ever had. There is a sister concern in Mangalore called 'Anupam'. But nothing beats the original.
Old 16th March 2010, 00:55   #4
BHPian

Manipal :

Hot and Sour soup and Masala Dosa @ Shantala, just the thought makes my mouth water

There is a street vendor near the intersection that takes to the printing press, there the bajjis, vade's and other fried snacks are amazing. I still remember me and my room mates spending close to 100-200 Rs every evening when it used to rain.

Udupi :

Kamath Hotel for amazing hot jowar rotis, we used eat about 8-10 rotis each.

Those were best days study hard, party hard
Old 16th March 2010, 10:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

cannon dude,

where is Kamath hotel @ Udupi?

Quote:
My first pick is Narayana, a small-no-luxury hotel located in Bunder or State bank, serves one of the best fish fry.
This place serves Fish curry meals, a staple food for the locals here. The plate contains Boiled Rice, Fish curry(cocount based gravy with Sardine), one veg curry and pickle
And then you get to pick your fish fry. Anjal(King/Seer Fish) Fry being the most ...
drooool! Reminds me of days i used to eat fish
Have turned a veggie now
Old 16th March 2010, 11:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I felt "Suvarna" at Managudde is very promising!
Where in Managudde is this? Is it at opposite to that Axis bank atm(around where Chefs was located before)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j View Post
Here are my two cents -
Udupi -
  • Diana - Good quality udupi veg cuisine
  • Woodlands hotel - the same as diana. But more crowded.
  • Udupi Residency - good choice of non veg/veg dishes
Kundapur -
  • Shetty Lunch Home - My personal favorite. The best chicken ghee roast I have ever had. There is a sister concern in Mangalore called 'Anupam'. But nothing beats the original.
have heard a lot bout the Shetty lunch home, need to go there soon.

In Udupi, we can add Mitra Samaj for their lipsmacking Masala Dosa's right
Old 16th March 2010, 11:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Blue waters (on weekdays. weekends you need to pay a cover charge). All the chicken items are pretty good. Liquor is a bit expensive
This is strictly a student joint and a pub, open only at night. Don't venture here with Family.
Quote:
Cosmos - It's the coffee shop at the Valley View hotel. The tenderloin stake is highly recommended.
The waiters here act like English lords. The service takes ages, but I guess most patrons don't mind the delay. The do have some interesting items on the menu.

Regarding the rest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
China Valley: Great chinese/thai/vietnamese/malay/korean food (this can be collaborated by many TBHPians)
Basil: Very good Italian food and excellent ambiance.
Snack Shack: Good mixture of chinese/malay food. Best Ice-cream in the entire district.
Hangyo: Best Indian food in the town.
KMC Food court: A very ambient AC food court similar to transit in Forum mall. You can find Subway, Pizza Corner, Hangyo express, Noodle shop, Malay food, Udupi food, etc.

The above list completes the list of restaurants that serve tasty stuff in an hygenic way. Rest you can forget for various reasons. Most small restaurants are geared towards student crowd, whose needs are very different. And never ever venture near the CCD, people have had nightmares after that.
In Mangalore there is a restaurant called Guthu on Falnir road, about 1 Km further from Moti Mahal. My dad was very thrilled with their Mangalore taali.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th March 2010 at 11:35.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In Mangalore there is a restaurant called Guthu on Falnir road, about 1 Km further from Moti Mahal. My dad was very thrilled with their Mangalore taali.
Yes Samurai, Guthu is a good place, me a regular there . They have some authentic food on their Menu, esp Poondi, Kori Roti types which we don't get in all the places.

They also have a roof-top with a big screen, right place to watch IPL over a few liquids

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 16th March 2010 at 11:44.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:57   #9
BANNED

I may add that Mitra Samaj (in the block near Srikrishna Temple) are the forefathers of the Udupi Restaurants all over the globe.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:00   #10
BHPian

If you are in Mangalore, then don't forget to visit Pabba's Ice Cream Parlour in Lalbagh area. They have a huge variety of flavours.

And, as already mentioned in earlier posts, Diana is a nice place to visit in Udupi. Try out "Gadbad", an icecream originated at Diana in 1960s.

Last edited by 370Z : 16th March 2010 at 12:09.
Old 16th March 2010, 13:22   #11
MCR
BHPian

Udupi : Hotel Srirama & Lodge next to Ammunje petrol Pump also has a good Veg restaurant. Also ample parking space is available. The best food to have here is Shira and Poori Bhaji.
Old 16th March 2010, 13:29   #12
BHPian

Samuri is Jackie still running Snack Shack.
Old 16th March 2010, 13:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ideal Ice Creams and Pabbas are the place to be in if you love ice creams.
Old 16th March 2010, 13:49   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Samuri is Jackie still running Snack Shack.
Sorry, I don't know the name of the guy. I mostly do home delivery from there.
Old 16th March 2010, 16:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
If you are in Mangalore, then don't forget to visit Pabba's Ice Cream Parlour in Lalbagh area. They have a huge variety of flavours.

And, as already mentioned in earlier posts, Diana is a nice place to visit in Udupi. Try out "Gadbad", an icecream originated at Diana in 1960s.

I had 'Gadbad' at Pabba;s (Mangalore), Diana, Woodlands (udupi) and at Hangyo Saiba (Manipal) . Hangyo's Gadbad was amazing! Had Vadapav just opposite that Restaurant which taste like one you get at Mumbai!

Most Viewed