Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2005, 12:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Taxi unions reject Singapore model

Read about this farce here

Just look at the reasons being given out - uncomplicated roads , fewer people ......what rubbish maan ? why do we always have to be so resistent to change for the better ? The unions dont even want to try this out......bah
Old 27th September 2005, 15:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Our Taxi Unions are a big Mafia. and we citizens are responsible for allowing this to continue. Its all very sad. the condition of our Taxis are Pathetic to say the least.
Old 27th September 2005, 18:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I cannot forget the disciplined queues, upright traffic police, strict driving rules and the organised transport authority,’’ Quadros said. ‘‘They can be incorporated without further discussion.’’
Since Quadros has seen the way traffic moves in Singapore and is obviously impressed by the system, why doesn't he for a change call a union meeting for a good purpose and educate his idiotic taxi drivers on how to drive correctly. The least he can do is tell them about lanes so we don't have a ramshackled taxi doing 10 kmph in the overtaking lane.
Transport commissionar also went on this trip. Why can't he call for a meeting and educate the pandu's and others to improve traffic in Bombay? Or is it that this team went for a shopping trip and came back wasting tax-payers money like it always happens?

Quote:
"I cannot forget the strict driving rules" Quadros said
How many of Quadros's union members will pass this new strict driving test? If these guys are asked to come back for a test the third time, they will claim that the government is harassing poor taxi drivers and Quadros will call for a taxi strike immediately!
Old 27th September 2005, 19:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

F*****g waste of time and our money. Did we really think they were going there for work? Taxi's are the single largest cause of the terrible traffic situation we are stuck with, and our politicians don't have the you-know-whats to do anything about it.

Meanwhile we are stuck with 50 year old, filty, smelly, unsafe taxi's where you require a friggin chart to calculate how much your fare is and equally filthy smelly drivers who are fresh off the bullock kart.

Yea, just like Shanghai ain't it?

P.s. Excuse the expletives, but I think the situation calls for it...

Last edited by Rtech : 27th September 2005 at 19:04.
Old 27th September 2005, 19:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Yea, just like Shanghai ain't it?
Rtech, Shanghai's taxis are a whole world apart. At least the ones I've been driven around in are...DONT EVEr compare Mumbai to Shanghai - the comparison is a pipedream.
Old 27th September 2005, 19:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Rtech, Shanghai's taxis are a whole world apart. At least the ones I've been driven around in are...DONT EVEr compare Mumbai to Shanghai - the comparison is a pipedream.
Errr...ahem...wasn't that sarcastic remark from Rtech? I thought it was.
Old 27th September 2005, 19:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Errr...ahem...wasn't that sarcastic remark from Rtech? I thought it was.
was it? guess I've had one tequila too many, not to mention the stellas....
Old 27th September 2005, 19:19   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Shanghai! A friend returned from Bangladesh visibly impressed.
Old 27th September 2005, 19:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Shanghai! A friend returned from Bangladesh visibly impressed.
Ditto with Sri Lanka. We really are the pits! When I bring a colleague over to India I make it a point to pay through my nose for Hertz/Avis overpriced 'limo' services that would pass off for an ordinary taxi in any other part of the subcontinent.

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th September 2005 at 19:26.
Old 27th September 2005, 23:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

Hell, even Pakistan has modern efficient cabs. I'm here trying to think of a city (outside India) that has worse cabs...I'm really having a hard time. No place I've been yet.

And yes, Steeroid, I think you are a few too many down if you thought my Shanghai statement was serious!!
Old 27th September 2005, 23:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Hell, even Pakistan has modern efficient cabs. I'm here trying to think of a city (outside India) that has worse cabs...I'm really having a hard time. No place I've been yet.

And yes, Steeroid, I think you are a few too many down if you thought my Shanghai statement was serious!!
Nigeria has worse cabs, but thats hardly an achievement for India. Egypt has smelly cabs too.

Rtech: we had a tequila shootout today after celebrating our stall at Gitex...and as I mentioned I had Stella on top of it.
Old 28th September 2005, 00:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Why Shangai, Bangalore has nice taxicabs too. Maruti Omnis and they are all linked by radio network. Prolly have A/C too not sure because Omni dosent come with A/C.

Singapore has 2 types of cabs, the regular Toyota Crowns and the deluxe cabs are Merc E class.
Old 28th September 2005, 00:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

mumbai also has the blue and silver cool cabs(indicas,zens) with a/c and linked with the radio network..its also very easy to hire a cab in bombay at any time in the day just because there are so many on the roads...and also they run on cng..so lesser pollution.
Old 28th September 2005, 01:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He added, the cab-calling facility throughout the city, Global Positioning System and electronic meters generating fare receipts only make sense in a city with uncomplicated lanes
Can Quadros explain what he meant by uncomplicated lanes? What the hell is that? In fact, India has the most uncomplicated lane system in the world because we have no lane concept on our roads! I think these idiots went on a shopping trip on tax payers money. Most western countries have special bus lanes, special cyclist lanes, pedestrains have right of way and what not. And Quadros think these countries have uncomplicated lanes?

Anyway, the real reason for the rejection is:

Quote:
‘‘Most of Singapore’s cabs are owned by firms. And the rest will be privatised by 2007. They’re rented out to the drivers on a daily basis,’’ said Dilip Tamal, General Secretary of the Mumbai Taxi Owners’ and Users’ Union. ‘‘Such privatisation is out of the question here.’’
The last line in bold is the real reason why these guys rejected this plan is what I think.
Old 28th September 2005, 09:15   #15
BHPian

I have been in Bombay for some time.
I am sure that the political parties would have an equal hand on the same.
As the Taxi union would be a part of their supporting alias.

At the end we get to bear the brunt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks