Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2010, 12:32   #1
BHPian

Are KFC / Cafe Day / Pizza Hut hygienic anymore?

Hi All,
Just thought of sharing 3 incidents which actually made me think whether all these big outlets are hygenic anymore.

On March 6 i.e. Saturday, I went out with my friends & family to Pizza Hut in ITPL, Bangalore. We found a big hair in the pizza base. When we checked with the Manager, he gave excuses and said its impossible to as all are wearing hair cap etc. But, as it was stuck inside base, he couldn't defend much.

Yesterday, me & my wife went to Cafe Day and she order for Veg burger. Later we found fly in the burger cooked well with the content.

Few months back, I found an insect in KFC chicken meal also.

Are we getting the minimal required hygiene from all these outlet. Are they hygenic anymore.
Old 17th March 2010, 12:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Omg Yuck!! The Insect and fly is my limit. But the general QOS/hygiene has gone down everywhere, Unless its a really up scale restaurant.
Old 17th March 2010, 13:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.pillai View Post
Hi All,
Just thought of sharing 3 incidents which actually made me think whether all these big outlets are hygenic anymore.

On March 6 i.e. Saturday, I went out with my friends & family to Pizza Hut in ITPL, Bangalore. We found a big hair in the pizza base. When we checked with the Manager, he gave excuses and said its impossible to as all are wearing hair cap etc. But, as it was stuck inside base, he couldn't defend much.

Yesterday, me & my wife went to Cafe Day and she order for Veg burger. Later we found fly in the burger cooked well with the content.

Few months back, I found an insect in KFC chicken meal also.

Are we getting the minimal required hygiene from all these outlet. Are they hygenic anymore.
I guess the insects have got a liking to you!

Coming to topic, if this had taken place in US, the company would have been sued for millions. In India, there isn't much you can do. Throw the meal and hope that next time you get a good one. I haven't found any such things till now in KFC or CCD. Maybe I am too engrossed in chatting with friends at that time. You should have forced the manager to show the kitchen and you should have checked if they were wearing hair caps, etc. If they weren't, you could have threatened to sue them. I guess the place where the bases are made won't be caring about the hygiene.
Old 17th March 2010, 14:09   #4
BHPian

This is becoming a big problem nowadays. I've seen cockroaches roaming in the cold storage displays at Barista, and a couple of places in Malls here in Gurgaon.

I think its more to do with maintaining cleanliness, and servicing these appliances. With more franchisees opening up, quality control has weakened, and it comes down to the person who has opened the store, and the one managing it. If they have the 'chalta hai' attitude, then you can't do anything except raise awareness, and not go to the place a second time.

We have stopped eating cold stuff and prefer either hot, cooked meal, or eat at home. No point paying for food and getting sick.
Old 17th March 2010, 14:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Add mcdonalds to the list , I got a long strand of hair apperently from a female head in my burger in my first and last visit to Mcdonalds in Forum mall.

On another note most of the CCD outets on mysore bangalore road do not have functioning toilets and staff make sorry excuse that toilet is locked.

I do not understand why they can't have when now a days every decent dhaba has one.
Old 17th March 2010, 14:21   #6
BANNED

Just recall something from far back. One magazine decided to inspect the kitchens on the big name New York restaurants, and awarded 'Trash cans'. The correlation between the Stars and Cans was uncanny.
Old 17th March 2010, 14:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simran View Post
This is becoming a big problem nowadays. I've seen cockroaches roaming in the cold storage displays at Barista, and a couple of places in Malls here in Gurgaon.

I have seen the same in Big bazaar here in Bangalore. They had some offer for the baskin robbins ice creams buy 1 and get 1 free.
The cold storage where all the ice cream was stored was filled with semi dead and dead roaches!!
And some of their dairy products on the shelf were expired.
I lost my cool and wanted to speak to the manager in charge. He calmly tells me that the roaches go into the freezer thanks to the holes and because of the power cuts he cant do anything On hearing this I left my shopping basket with him and walked out.

amitk26
even the CCD in malleswaram doesnt have a working toilet. WE went there for a coffe and when we asked where was the loo he tells me it wasnt working.
Old 17th March 2010, 14:52   #8
BANNED

At little OT but whenever I go to CCD, they never have change. Another trick to force you to give a larger tip.
Old 17th March 2010, 15:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Omg Yuck!! The Insect and fly is my limit. But the general QOS/hygiene has gone down everywhere, Unless its a really up scale restaurant.
Oh wait till you know someone working in such places!

On a positive side :
the germs should be dead, once the food is cooked, aint it?
Old 17th March 2010, 16:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

It is disgusting to hear this happening in top MNC fast food joints!
Is Quality control applicable only in US, Europe and not in rest of the world?

Now, imagine the state in our local joints & darshinis....

Last edited by finneyp : 17th March 2010 at 16:03.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
It is disgusting to hear this happening in top MNC fast food joints!
Is Quality control applicable only in US, Europe and not in rest of the world?

Now, imagine the state in our local joints & darshinis....
well most Darshinis are far cleaner then these fast food joints. The high transaction volume and open kitchen ensures cleanliness.

For non-Bangloreans Darshini is an open kitchen stand and eat restaurant serving mostly south Indian snacks.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Not to gross out anyone here but couple of years ago, a friend told me that he once found some chewing gum in the chatni along with his dosa in the local Shanti sagar !!

I'm guessing that the boys who oversees the grinder must have been chewing gun and by mistake or for fun dropped/fell into the grinder and there was no way they could take it out. lol !
Old 17th March 2010, 16:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
well most Darshinis are far cleaner then these fast food joints. The high transaction volume and open kitchen ensures cleanliness.
I am not sure of this, just peek inside the kitchen & you will know the real state....
Old 17th March 2010, 16:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.pillai View Post
They are not hygienic anymore. Whatever standards the companies have set, the indian counterparts does not bother.

In chennai KFC's, the chicken burgers does not even have the patty, they just put a piece of boneless chicken between the breads and give that as burger.

Btw, how did you notice the fly in the burger?
Old 17th March 2010, 16:22   #15
BHPian

Here's my two cents....

Why is all this happening in India? Because, we as Indian are used to it. We have this 'Chalta hai' attitude. Why do we think it's okay to have less hygeine at a normal restaurant or 'hotel' as they say but not in KFC, Pizza Hut or the like? Filthy washrooms (and probably filthier kitchens) are alright because those places charge less and speak in the local dialect? Of course not, you'll get the same attitude in the more upmarket joints sooner or later.

Anyway, let me just say that I'm a proud Indian just like the rest of us. But poor supervision, corrupt city official can all be blamed. Blame the system, right? No, we are to blame just as much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks