Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 08:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

When was the last time you had a complete health check up and what were the results

All this started when the office pass was to be renewed annually. The security dept in conjunction with HSSE dept had put a rule that to renew the pass one has to submit the health certificate. Now to obtain the health certificate you need to have done the health checkup from the hospitals which the company has tie ups. This started a sramble amongst the employee who till then were relaxed about the health check when there was a specific policy to get the check up done every year. This check up was normally free to employee as the cost was borne by the company, still employees used to skip it. And I was no exception. This time I had gone to Lilavati hospital in Bandra to get the chek up done.
The ritual began with a 24 hour fasting and arrived at hospital at 7 am hoping to be the first one to finish off and go back to office by lunch time. The check up was exhaustive where I had to run from one section to another, from one floor to another and that too on empty stomach. Finally I demanded the complimentary breakfast and finished off the rest of the check up. The last one was with the company panel doctor and he blew the whistle that I was over weight by 10 kgs and that this would have to be reduced by next checkup. My BP, sugar, Lipid profile, Cholestrol were on the extreme band of the limits. I was told to cut down sugar, eat less bread, exercise mainly brisk walking, cardio etc. Reduce salt intake, Eat fruits etc.
This was a big jolt to me since I considered myself fit and healthy inspite of being on the bigger frame. Now I have started exercising and managed to shave off a few kilos but the winning tape is still along way. This has woken me up and have decided to go for annual check up every year. Afterall being the sole breadwinner for the family I dont want things to take nasty turn.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:20   #2
BANNED

You just screwed up my day.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Last health checkup I had in Apollo on Sep-2009. "All Is Well" for me until now. Doctor did not find any problem in any of my report. No BP, No Sugar, No Heart Problem, No Pulmonary Problem, No Stomach Problem etc.

But 2008's health checkup had some problem ( Of course Cholesterol) which I forgot to followup and later all cholesterol vanished from my blood stream without doing much.

Last edited by anujmishra : 18th March 2010 at 12:29.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:26   #4
BHPian

I myself have been eluding these checkups for a while, Do you know how often one needs to do this for people in 25 to 35 age bracket?

24 hours fast before checkup?
Old 18th March 2010, 12:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You just screwed up my day.
+1 to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
...24 hours fast before checkup?
Seriously!!! Are you sure it is 24hrs and not something like 8 hrs?
Old 18th March 2010, 12:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
+1 to that!

Seriously!!! Are you sure it is 24hrs and not something like 8 hrs?
It was 12 hours. Sorry for the typo error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I myself have been eluding these checkups for a while, Do you know how often one needs to do this for people in 25 to 35 age bracket?

24 hours fast before checkup?
40 and above years once a year. 25-35 years once in two years again depending upon the type of job you do and your eating habits.
This is my company requirment, may differ company to company. I have been doing the annual check ups for my parents also once every year coz the most of the insurance guys do not cover senior citizens above 70 hence the need. My parents regularly visit Apollo clinics or Lok Hospital in Thane for annual checks.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 19th March 2010 at 11:58. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 18th March 2010, 17:13   #7
BHPian

IMO annual health check is v.imp irrespective of age in today's scenarios due to sedetary lifestyle,stress etc. My neighbour died of heart attack last month , he was only 28 yrs of age and married just 6 months ago. He has very athletic & slim .
Old 18th March 2010, 18:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
IMO annual health check is v.imp irrespective of age in today's scenarios due to sedetary lifestyle,stress etc. My neighbour died of heart attack last month , he was only 28 yrs of age and married just 6 months ago. He has very athletic & slim .
in his case the checkup may have possibly not revealed anything. There is only so much we know about our bodies and if we keep pushing it beyond the limits, it may fail for no obvious reason.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:42   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I take my folks for a complete health checkup at the Hinduja, or Asian Heart Hospital, once in 6 months. You MUST take your folks for these complete checkups regularly; at their age, prevention is preferred over cure. Anyways, the routine was to check them in, complete paperwork + payment formalities and drive off to work. Of course, that's until they insisted I join them on the next one.

Came out with a clean chit , except for the staple recommendation to middle-aged guys "You need to lose 10 kg".

The cost for these 6 - 7 hour checkups varies between Rs. 3,000 - 6,000, depending on the package you choose. Recommended atleast once in 12 months, whatever your age.

P.S. : Don't take stress. Life's too important to get worried about the smaller things.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2010, 11:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

One important thing my doctor tells me everytime:
"Don't wait for pain to tell something is wrong everytime. Then you guys tell us that doctors are expensive. It is you guys who make us expensive."
Old 19th March 2010, 11:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

I just check for Cholesterol; LDL was 268 few months back,took tab and started jogging;it dropped to 66! Stopped tab and jogging reduced, after two months its 174 or so! Grrr! Back to tab and joggging.
Old 19th March 2010, 11:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Done the checkup on 11th this month.

aal is wel, aal is wel.
Old 10th November 2011, 14:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: When was the last time you had a complete health check up and what were the resul

I read somewhere over the weekend that if you feel you are fine, then it means you have not gone through enough tests

And then a couple of days later, a TOI headline read that 1 in 5 (or was it 6?) Indians suffer from diabetes or hypertension. The study was sponsored by a pharma company, of course. And they managed to pay enough money to get their study published on the front page of a leading national newspaper!

Seriously! All these medical tests / health checkups seem just another way to fleece the common man (and their insurance)
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 16:03   #14
BHPian

Re: When was the last time you had a complete health check up and what were the resul

I don't think medical tests are covered under insurance. Are they?
Old 10th November 2011, 16:52   #15
Team-BHP Support

Ah... I have been procrastinating on this one for a while. I am 42 and have not undergone any health checkup after my 20s. What are the recommended tests to be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
except for the staple recommendation to middle-aged guys "You need to lose 10 kg".
This comes out of the standard BMI calculation, which doesn't consider people that are muscular.

Couple months back at an after-OTR party, two BHPians tried to guess my weight. They guessed 67 and 72. I am actually 84.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks