Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2005, 10:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bad News - This Sucks Big Time !

Again the govt. has done it !

Today morning as i drove to work - i went in to renew the pass for the toll booth at vashi and what do i find ?

A monthly pass for one toll booth in Mumbai - which used to cost Rs. 670 is now RS. 830 and the pass for all toll booths in Mumbai which used to cost Rs. 800 is now Rs. 1000 .

Also a single journey out of Mumbai will now cost Rs 25 instead of the earlier Rs. 20 .

When queried why this increase the answer was - the govt is collecting funds to start repairing roads in the state ! :WTF:
i mean we are paying this toll to mintain the roads and flyovers from donkey's years - and now they want to tax us further ?

I dont have anything to say - im in too much of a shock !

cheers

Last edited by normally_crazy : 29th September 2005 at 10:29.
Old 29th September 2005, 10:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

I swear...this city is going to the dogs...Soon, only 2 classes of people can survive here - the super rich or the super poor. Everyone inbetween will have to find another place to live if they expect to have any quality of life.

From the best city in India to the greatest dump in India. In a span of a decade or so. Well done Mr. Mantri's.
Old 29th September 2005, 10:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yeah its bad. Its just not fair and its just not limited to the vashi toll...even the thane toll and airoli toll rates are going up from 1st October 2005.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 29th September 2005 at 10:46.
Old 29th September 2005, 11:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Forget about the toll. How about taxing Delhi a bit more and letting some money that is collected in Mumbai stay here?
Old 29th September 2005, 11:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Forget about the toll. How about taxing Delhi a bit more and letting some money that is collected in Mumbai stay here?
hey boss, what makes you think Delhiites aren't paying any taxes. Income taxes rates are similar all over India, we too have to pay toll taxes (I pay 40 bucks daily). Petrol and cars are cheaper here, but that's because state government is taxing you more; and that extra money is being used in your own state, not in Delhi.

\N
Old 29th September 2005, 11:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

THis is really sad new! The toll keeps increasing but the roads keep degrading!

But someone has to feed the hungry Politicians

Quote:
hey boss, what makes you think Delhiites aren't paying any taxes. Income taxes rates are similar all over India, we too have to pay toll taxes (I pay 40 bucks daily). Petrol and cars are cheaper here, but that's because state government is taxing you more; and that extra money is being used in your own state, not in Delhi.
Every one knows it! Firstly Delhi roads are very well maintained! All politicians live there! Wheras over here in Mumbai you cant go from one place to another with out a Ride in Essel World! There is also a big difference in car prices say by around 40k in between Mumbai and Delhi!

Last edited by BUSA : 29th September 2005 at 11:27.
Old 29th September 2005, 11:47   #7
BHPian

absolutely rubbish

i think this is utter rubbish. firstly they say that they have started the toll becoz they wanted to recover the amount they have utilised to build the bridges and flyovers all over mumbai. now they are saying that they are increasing the charges to repair the roads. arent we paying enough road taxes and so much money in other taxes to state and central government.

above all the ministers cars dont even pay the toll as far as i know. middle class is gonna be poorer and it would be sensible not ot take my car next time i go to ghatkopar from nerul. Best Bus would be lot better. i would reach in lesser money.

shubbhi
Old 29th September 2005, 11:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Every one knows it! Firstly Delhi roads are very well maintained! All politicians live there! Wheras over here in Mumbai you cant go from one place to another with out a Ride in Essel World! There is also a big difference in car prices say by around 40k in between Mumbai and Delhi!
That's not us Delhi-wallas fault if mah Govt. can't maintain the roads. And we don't crib about your excellent local trains. Boy! if only we had such an effective public transport system in Delhi. And don't forget that Delhi has more cars than Mumbai+Chennai+Kolkata combined. More cars means road tax means more money to maintain roads.

That 40K diff in price goes in the pocket of Mah politicians, not Delhi politicians. But that's not to say that Delhi politicians are better. They all are equally corrupt, and waste.

\N
Old 29th September 2005, 12:14   #9
BHPian

the point i forgot to mention in my earlier post

one thing also i forgot to mention that no body forms a group and protests against this change. everybody accepts it and nothing is done about it by common man who suffers the most, be it rise in petrol prices or rise in toll prices. secondly why do people who travel to and from from mumbai to navi mumbai have suffer. it should be high time that navi mumbai should be taken in as mumbai and the toll naka should start from panvel and not from vashi itself. why shoudl people from vashi, nerul, belapur and khargar suffer becoz of this. there mite not be many people travelling by car from panvel to m,umbai everyday or some days in month but there are people who travel from mumbai to their office in navi mumbai, or who travel from khargar to mumbai in their cars. there is a huge industrial area in Navi Mumbai and many of them who own these factories stay in proper mumbai. ditto for thane , dahisar etc.

shubbhi
Old 29th September 2005, 12:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer

\N
Dude, it was not an attack on Delhi wallahs. Everyone pays tax everywhere. I do not know the exact figures, but while Mumbai contributes around 55,000 crores as tax to the Central exchequer, it got only 1,200 crores towards development last year. While Delhi got about 6,000 crores. Isn't that unfair? I agree that the State Government in Maharashtra sucks, but Delhi seems to be the darling of India's government. Over here we contribute tonnes of money both for the state and the central government but hardly get anything back. This sucks.
Old 29th September 2005, 12:45   #11
BHPian

How much do I have to pay finally??

Road tax, VAT, Sales Tax, Octroi, IT, service tax... aur koi hain toh bolo.

And what do I get in return... zilch, nadir, zero!!!

And it is partly our fault that we allow this kind of stuff.

We should follow some of the methods the people in Kolkatta etc use, "morcha". Since we know that it would not affect the condition of our roads anyways, why not oppose and save our money to do the least.

Cant a PIL or petition be filed by the members of TBHP?

Mods... please comment.

Quote:
That's not us Delhi-wallas fault if mah Govt. can't maintain the roads. And we don't crib about your excellent local trains. Boy! if only we had such an effective public transport system in Delhi. And don't forget that Delhi has more cars than Mumbai+Chennai+Kolkata combined. More cars means road tax means more money to maintain roads.

That 40K diff in price goes in the pocket of Mah politicians, not Delhi politicians. But that's not to say that Delhi politicians are better. They all are equally corrupt, and waste.

\N
Dude...

its not about you and me. Neither am I, nor are you (I assume) a politician to gain from this.

Its about policies. 40% of the nation IT is not a small amount. Give backs are not even visible in the scene.

And the public transport you are talking about is a big joke. Try to travel on a Virar local at 9:00 am in the morning and you will understand what I mean.

The fact, which may prove to be a bane, that an average mumbaikar does not have the time to move out of his daily schedule to follow up with these matters is being taken advantage of.

I strongly feel its just a matter of time before this resilience or inertia breaks. Rest as they will say will be history.
Old 29th September 2005, 12:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hey boss, what makes you think Delhiites aren't paying any taxes.
\N
Mumbai contributes 50,000 crores to the cental excehquer every year and does not get even 5,000 crores for itself.

besides of the 4-5 major metros (delhi, mumbai, calcutta, chennai, bangalore) power theft and avoidance of taxes in delhi are said to be the highest.
Old 29th September 2005, 13:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Mumbai contributes 50,000 crores to the cental excehquer every year and does not get even 5,000 crores for itself.
@ntomer, point here is not about Delhi getting more, but is about Mumbai getting far far lesser than what it SHOULD. Nothing against Delhi as such! Mumbai locals earn more money than combined revenue of few states, while far more money is spent on Railway infrastructure in Bihar, whereas Mumbai commuter commutes in living hell also known as local trains.
Old 29th September 2005, 13:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45
the point i forgot to mention in my earlier post....

shubbhi
You are right there shubbhi. After paying all these tolls and high octroi and what not, we end up getting nothing but crappy roads. I would love to join any pressure group if it is created, but I am sure it will be hijacked by someone with political agendas.
I think the current re-drawing of constituencies will help. Let the next election come up.
Old 29th September 2005, 14:32   #15
BHPian

Its not only the toll guys might not forget the jumping and i mean jumping high perol prices as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks