Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 08:55   #76
BHPian

Re: Interview Dress Code help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But there is a recent trend that really bothers me. Guys wearing cotton boxer shorts in public. At first it really puzzled me why these guys are wearing only underwear in public. Check the following link to see the item I am talking about.

Welcome To Jockey

Later I found out the reason in an office outing, when I saw one of my junior colleague in boxer shorts.

Me: Hey, why are you in underwear?
He: Huh, I am wearing shorts.
Me: Um, but it is a boxer shorts. It is an underwear, something worn inside pants.
He: Oh!

Basically, lot of guys don't know boxer shorts is an underwear. So they wear it to the mall, dropping kids to school, on long drives, on the streets, etc.
May be you should stop looking at his underwear and start looking else where. haha!! bazinga!

In India especially the south, definitional looks of an 'underwear' is different from how a boxer shorts look like.
Old 14th June 2012, 09:05   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Later I found out the reason in an office outing, when I saw one of my junior colleague in boxer shorts.

Me: Hey, why are you in underwear?
He: Huh, I am wearing shorts.
Me: Um, but it is a boxer shorts. It is an underwear, something worn inside pants.
He: Oh!

Basically, lot of guys don't know boxer shorts is an underwear. So they wear it to the mall, dropping kids to school, on long drives, on the streets, etc.
He he, nice one! I dislike the trend of wearing shorts (especially checked shorts) and should-be-worn-at-home sandals to office. I'm not one of those who wears formals to work either, but shorts? And don't even get me started on sandals.

But then as one of the parents says in the newspaper, getting kids up and ready on time in the morning itself is a near impossible job
Old 14th June 2012, 09:28   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

a Bangalore school has stipulated dress code for parents who drop their kids to school.

Ladies wearing night gown...
Guys wearing cotton boxer shorts in public...
If an event or job requres a dress code it is one thing but to stipulate what people wear is Talibanish. Maybe I am a bit bohemian or just plain liberal.
Old 14th June 2012, 09:28   #79
Team-BHP Support

My office has no dress code as long as you are dressed decently. Saying that, some folks in the US wear shorts. Some people in India after a stint in the US come back and try to be american and wear shorts and stick out!!

Frankly, smart casuals is the best way to go unless I am addressing external folks or senior visitors then I will dress more formally.

As for interviews, I stick to smart shirt and trousers. If meeting at a director level, I will slap a jacket on, without a tie.
Old 14th June 2012, 09:43   #80
Team-BHP Support

My company just enforced dress code at work rule from last week. It was getting a bit out of hand with employees wearing chappals, wrinkled t-shirts and jeans even on a monday.

The new dress code stipulates no sandals, slippers allowed monday to friday. T-shirts allowed only on Friday's.

It's good to see everyone dressed decently nowadays. Else it wasn't feeling like a work place.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:14   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Maybe I am a bit bohemian or just plain liberal.
You are bohemian, we all know that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Some people in India after a stint in the US come back and try to be american and wear shorts and stick out!!
Wow, I remember those characters. When I was in HP-ISO Bangalore, we used to have visitors from HP Labs (Palo Alto). If they were white, they wore smart casuals. But if they were Indian, they wore shorts, with pride oozing from their face. It was their way of saying they have arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Frankly, smart casuals is the best way to go unless I am addressing external folks or senior visitors then I will dress more formally.
In US, I had to wear suit while visiting clients, it is expected there. But in India I always wear business casual or smart casual depending on occasion. But no suit or even tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
My company just enforced dress code at work rule from last week. It was getting a bit out of hand with employees wearing chappals, wrinkled t-shirts and jeans even on a monday.

It's good to see everyone dressed decently nowadays. Else it wasn't feeling like a work place.
If everybody had good dress sense, you don't need a dress code. But in our country, guys generally don't have any dress sense. Girls generally have a very good dress sense by the age of 15. But guys go without it for lot longer, sometimes all their life. Even I discovered dress sense in the mid 20s, my wife still doesn't think I have enough.

Therefore, basic dress code needs to be enforced by companies & institution in India so that guys don't show up to work in underwear/shorts or slippers. Otherwise people show up at work like slobs.
Old 14th June 2012, 11:42   #82
Team-BHP Support

I am so happy I work where I do.

Absolutely no dress codes. The only rule is wear something and it must not smell(bad).

No one cares if its slippers or sandals.
Shorts or Track pants.

I love my office.
Old 14th June 2012, 14:07   #83
BHPian

My rule is wear to interview what you plan to wear to office everyday.

I recently attended interview in a organization. I wore Jeans, collared T shirt and sneakers to the interview. The director who interviewed me that day was wearing sandals.
Old 14th June 2012, 17:34   #84
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
My office has no dress code as long as you are dressed decently. Saying that, some folks in the US wear shorts. Some people in India after a stint in the US come back and try to be american and wear shorts and stick out!!

As for interviews, I stick to smart shirt and trousers. If meeting at a director level, I will slap a jacket on, without a tie.
Very nice. My sentiments exactly.
But perhaps we are elderly beasts in today's young turk atmosphere?

I really enjoy seeing people heading to work in Europe and Oz etc. Formal clothes or Smart Casuals yes, but the multifarious modes of transort right from segways, skateboards and leg scooters to bicycles. Amazing.
Old 14th June 2012, 18:08   #85
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai, I remember a guy in the HP Palo Alto office hung his used towel daily on his cubicle partition. Perhaps he cycled to work, not really sure. This was early 2003

As for clothes, I do believe there need to be some restrictions in place especially at work. It does add to the work atmosphere if people are dressed in decent clothing & footwear be it formals or casuals. Also helps portray professional attitude for benefit of visiting clients especially from Europe.

My time in France was spent wearing suits to work all week and it did have some positive impact especially during presentations etc.

I also support the schools decision on dress code, it does make a difference to even the kids who are starting school early in the day. It does not take that long to wear a pair of trousers and a tshirt

Last edited by selfdrive : 14th June 2012 at 18:10.
Old 14th June 2012, 18:13   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But Jockey do have bermudas as well. Refer the following link.

Welcome To Jockey

So, not all of them are wearing boxer shorts.

OT: When I first saw your post, for a moment I thought even I was in the ignorant lot that you have mentioned.I couldn't open the jockey link from office. But then, I was sure that I bought a bermuda and not a boxer short and it had side pockets. I don't wear them to office or malls though.

Last edited by ecenandu : 14th June 2012 at 18:35.
Old 14th June 2012, 18:24   #87
Senior - BHPian

Although i would personally hate to wear sandals to office, i dont have any qualms about other men wearing them to work. As long as they dont have outrightly ugly feet with talons for nails.
Old 14th June 2012, 18:31   #88
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Although i would personally hate to wear sandals to office, i dont have any qualms about other men wearing them to work. As long as they dont have outrightly ugly feet with talons for nails.
I dont feel like I am at work unless I am dressed properly, presentably and as far as possible, elegantly. One does have a position to keep up, personal and official.
I ve found wearing a blazer while flying tends to give one marginally more respect at the Airport and so on. Like it or not, clothes do maketh the man.
Old 15th June 2012, 07:59   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
But Jockey do have bermudas as well. Refer the following link.

Welcome To Jockey

So, not all of them are wearing boxer shorts.
Well, the guys I have seen were wearing proper boxer shorts that stopped mid-thigh, it didn't go all the way to the knee. But even striped Bermudas are borderline, for it could be mistaken for pattapatti chaddi (Kannada), a form of underwear/drawer worn by villagers in India.

pattapatti chaddi : Samosapedia : The definitive guide to South Asian Lingo

However, these are lot safer, won't be mistaken for undies: Welcome To Jockey

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks