Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Where would you like your retirement home to be?
In The Hills 36 43.90%
Close to a beach 10 12.20%
In a city 4 4.88%
In a village 11 13.41%
I am happy where I am now 12 14.63%
Abroad 1 1.22%
Others: Please specify in the thread 8 9.76%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 19:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I did think, but eventually decided I'll never retire. Seriously . The only change will be lesser working hours in a week once I'm over 60. So that I can spend a whole lot of time with the family, kids, grand-kids and CARS!

Maybe work only 6 hours a day once I'm a senior citizen.

Exactly. In my view retirement is a beginning of a slow wait for the end of life. I find it laughable when people want to retire at 40.

If it comes to living life at peace, I would probably take a month's (or two) vacation, live with my family (or in a scenic place), and then go back to work. I can start doing that now If my visa/green card issues are settled.
Old 27th March 2010, 11:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I find it laughable when people want to retire at 40.
Sorry, I don't quite anything funny if people want to quit doing something they are fed up with by 40. In fact the term "retire" itself appears to symbolise people getting older, being unable to do what they used to do etc. which is not so.

In fact, I find it amusing that we have to keep doing somethings everyday - just for the sake of making a "living" or "keeping up pretences" - like going to office at 9.30 in the morning, doing things which we have to do (whether we like it or not), have a lunch break, get back to work (even if you don't want to!) and keep an eye on the clock to stop working and head back home!!

Of course, NOT EVERYONE has the same schedule above, but for most people in service the above schedule is fairly similar.

Retiring at 40, to me means, you stop whatever you were doing for the last 15 - 20 years (whether you liked it or not) and START doing something which you always wanted to do - it need not always have to do anything with MONEY or keeping you EMPLOYED - it has to keep you busy, active and satisfied!!
Old 27th March 2010, 12:01   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

would prefer it to be in a hilly place near-ish to a golf club
would like to spend the golden years surrounded by trees, plants, pets, books, music and a great deal of peace - away from the rat race and the ghastly cities at any rate.
Old 27th March 2010, 12:10   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
would prefer it to be in a hilly place near-ish to a golf club
would like to spend the golden years surrounded by trees, plants, pets, books, music and a great deal of peace - away from the rat race and the ghastly cities at any rate.
Every thing you say is fine me except the Golf. Not into it. Plus add a big town square selling hot corn and coffee with a public library nearby !

Most important, the place has to be laid back.
Old 29th March 2010, 01:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Sorry, I don't quite anything funny if people want to quit doing something they are fed up with by 40. In fact the term "retire" itself appears to symbolise people getting older, being unable to do what they used to do etc. which is not so.

In fact, I find it amusing that we have to keep doing somethings everyday - just for the sake of making a "living" or "keeping up pretences" - like going to office at 9.30 in the morning, doing things which we have to do (whether we like it or not), have a lunch break, get back to work (even if you don't want to!) and keep an eye on the clock to stop working and head back home!!

Of course, NOT EVERYONE has the same schedule above, but for most people in service the above schedule is fairly similar.

Retiring at 40, to me means, you stop whatever you were doing for the last 15 - 20 years (whether you liked it or not) and START doing something which you always wanted to do - it need not always have to do anything with MONEY or keeping you EMPLOYED - it has to keep you busy, active and satisfied!!
you definitely have a very optimistic view of retirement.
Retirement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As long as you are out of active workforce, I am not going to support it. It doesn't matter whether you do something you like, or do nothing at all.

First, by retiring, you are reducing the overall workforce of an economy. If everybody started work at 20-25 and retired at 40-50, imagine the burden on current working force to sustain everybody else living on their hard work. And for your kind information, the country runs on the hard work done by the people who work 9-5 jobs. Taxes and revenue don't magically appear in Govt. treasury. Roads and other civic facilities are constructed from the taxes earned from people who have worked these jobs over years. If everybody started doing things they "like", the world will be a terrible place.

second, if you retire at 40, what kind of example you will give to your kids who will still not be in their teens.

third, as I said, if you stop doing things that keep challenging your skills, you are only beginning a slow wait for the end of life.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
If everybody started work at 20-25 and retired at 40-50, imagine the burden on current working force to sustain everybody else living on their hard work.

And for your kind information, the country runs on the hard work done by the people who work 9-5 jobs.

If everybody started doing things they "like", the world will be a terrible place.

second, if you retire at 40, what kind of example you will give to your kids who will still not be in their teens.

third, as I said, if you stop doing things that keep challenging your skills, you are only beginning a slow wait for the end of life.
I agree with you on the points - except those in bold.

Unless people have the freedom to do what they feel is worthwhile, then I am sure there won't be many things which we take for granted today. For example - the telephone. If the inventor had stuck to what was common thinking those days, I am sure he would not have made much headway. And, those that followed him wanted to make it better - which would not have been possible were they simply working from 9 to 5!

And, I never said - or rather meant - stop doing anything that challenges your skills or creativity. Rather, I meant that one should use one's skills to make / improve things so that others can enjoy the fruits of their labour. Doing things which we enjoy doesn't mean one simply lazes around and doesn't make much effort.

For example, I would like to sit down and write some of my experiences - and make it available for others (either free or for a fee!) - but my supposedly 9 to 5 job is like 10.30 to 8.00 (on normal days) including Saturdays & many holidays / Sundays. Part of this is due to what you have said - people who were 50+ have opted out and the organisation did not have the foresight to take in people in 25+ and train them. Now, I am paying for somebody's lack of (fore)sight and stuck up because I am too old to start something anew.

Think we are going ! and, so I am throwing in the towel! Anyway, I had found that your opinions are those of the majority and it is always better to swim with the tide
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks