Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 19:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please help me understand how percentages can be used to compare hikes when base salaries are not the same?
very valid point. was about to mention same. if one is paid peanut and given 20% hike then this 20% looks less. Where as base salary is high then a 10% hike looks very healthy!

now coming to my company they are busy telling : we will give hike in April" hope its not April fool.

time to switch the job. just waiting 5 more months to complete 5 years in IT.

PS: Even with 50% hike my salary wont be inline with industrial standards and wait for "onsite" looks never ending

what pisses me off is my college mate who joined as lateral with same exp as me getting 60% more than me (for same role)!
Old 31st March 2010, 20:05   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post

PS: Even with 50% hike my salary wont be inline with industrial standards and wait for "onsite" looks never ending

what pisses me off is my college mate who joined as lateral with same exp as me getting 60% more than me (for same role)!
It just happens that way, people jump companies for either good work or money but i feel too much jumping would prove detrimental in the long run (i.e.) career spanning 20-25 years..But please don't compare yourself with others, it lead to more frustration.

I spent around 5 years in my first company, getting paid less by industry standards but I am happy that I have gained relevant experience in my work & customer interaction.Later I moved to a product based company, I am not happy with the work here though I get paid 100% more.
Old 31st March 2010, 22:03   #48
BHPian

Quote:

I always dont understand what this standard is? Is this a association governing salary somewhere who distribute these standards? I mean where do these standards come from?

And the college friend of yours is not you - he's a different person. He has different upbringing, probably talks differently, has a different iq and has different ambitions etc. Just because you were in the same college and maybe best friends why do you think you should be paid similarly?
Old 1st April 2010, 08:00   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
That is a rather unique thing and first time ever i have come across such a concept. If you dont mind can you tell which industry are you associated with and are you really happy with this since over the years your base salary is always going to be same and the bonus is going to be subject to various factors.
Hi Rotorhead

I know this is rather a prehistoric way of remunerating employees. I work for a large Multinational company called George Weston Foods ltd (aka GWF). This company is in Australia (its parent company [ABF ltd] is in UK) and has different divisions i.e. baking, meat processing, technologies, food services and information system. I work for Information Systems division that looks after all other divisions' IT requirements and provide services accordingly.

So, to calculate bonus, HR used to calculate individual performance (through periodic performance reviews), then divisional performance and then corporate performance. If divisional or corporate performance is below satisfaction, it'd hit hard on your bonus (doesn't matter how better you did as an individual or a team). for example if Info. System division done excellent job but baking didn't then info. system staff and other sister concerns' staff will suffer too

But this year they made some changes and cross divisional comparison won't be done. So, I have high hopes this year. I hope my reply clarified your doubts.

I never worked in a large firm in India, so don't know what sort of remunerational structure companies have there.

regards
Punzabi

Last edited by Punzabi : 1st April 2010 at 08:02.
Old 1st April 2010, 10:43   #50
BHPian

My ratings are going to be discussed today, so will get an idea of what % I can expect. Since last year appraisal was just a formality, this year we are expecting it to be compensated by generous hikes 10 - 30%. No one is in the mood to listen to stories like company's overall performance wasnt good or Delivery Unit dint perform or the Account dint grow or any b.s of that sort.

I think its a very competitive environment, companies to retain talent should perform exceeding well and be willing to dole out generous hikes. In my observation, individuals are more ambitious and aggressive than the companies, so if the management isnt equally aggressive and ambitious in their goals, there is going to be a mismatch, and key talents will sooner or later jump.
Old 1st April 2010, 10:49   #51
mkh
Senior - BHPian

wow

A friend told me that he got 150% bonus and 30% hike!!! And their company is recruiting big time, has given even 40% to people who are joining. They need a LOT of people, looks like time to apply!!! I got to know the offer letter details as my close friend is in the staffing team who prepares the letters. He said for some skills they have got HUGE projects and they are giving whatever a candidate is asking( like in the early 2000 days)
Will not like to disclose the company details etc here, but you can guess.
Limited openings though so the early bird will get the worm for sure!
Old 1st April 2010, 10:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
And the college friend of yours is not you - he's a different person. He has different upbringing, probably talks differently, has a different iq and has different ambitions etc. Just because you were in the same college and maybe best friends why do you think you should be paid similarly?
nothing diffrenet between us. only difference is he has jumped couple of companies and now joined current company i am working in!
just that since he is lateral he has been offered better salary
Old 1st April 2010, 11:42   #53
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
nothing diffrenet between us. only difference is he has jumped couple of companies and now joined current company i am working in!
just that since he is lateral he has been offered better salary
always the case when someone joins from outside. I have a JUNIOR who has joined a grade above me in this company, hardly matters to me, but wonder if this was the case with some1 who was really looking to climb up the ladder! He would be
Old 1st April 2010, 14:41   #54
BHPian

Just received my letter got 12% hike... thanks for buying Honda Guys lol ;-)
Old 1st April 2010, 15:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

Given the premium we pay for Hondas here, they should be doubling your salary every year.
Old 1st April 2010, 16:20   #56
BHPian

I wonder how much hike Honda India employees get!
Old 1st April 2010, 16:33   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I wonder how much hike Honda India employees get!
Kaushik just told it - 12%
Old 1st April 2010, 16:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaushik View Post
Just received my letter got 12% hike... thanks for buying Honda Guys lol ;-)
@ akaushik: Are you from Hoda Siel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
@Ranjan Sharma : I remember honda siel giving even 25 ~ 30 % hikes 6 years back, not sure if Kaushik is referring to honda siel only, if that is then they are really becoming bad paymasters.
Old 1st April 2010, 17:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
What, no pay cuts after Jazz disaster?

Oh wait, The City sales have more than made up for it!!!!
Old 1st April 2010, 17:54   #60
BANNED

We had no hikes last year. This year I received 10% hike. Neither too much nor too little.

Most Viewed