Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2010, 18:32   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaushik View Post

Not bad but I call it Job Satisfaction , I am 100 per cent satisfied for what I am doing and getting..Yeah I am..

Ya payout is obviously less , Less number of promotions but still I am a Honda Fan
Hey how much discount are u getting on Honda cars?

are you in the R&D division, production or...... wat?
Old 4th April 2010, 18:40   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm, first time I am hearing this. When attrition is low, why would performance management be ineffective? I am not getting the connection.
Managers are supposed to quintile personnel and the bottom quintile based on performance gets the lowest ratings. Some of these need to be put on performance improvement programs and most of them who are put on PIP leave the organization. Its a way of weeding out the bottom lot and lot of companies do it. Ofcourse not everyone has the visibility into this happening but if you are working directly for the CIO's or CEOs you are in the know.

Quote:
No, I don't think so. Company would have invested a lot, in terms of training, grooming etc. I would not let such a person go out of my team, if he is a good performer. Fresh blood is good while expanding the team, but not as replacements for good performers.
same as my point above.
Old 4th April 2010, 19:51   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
Some of these need to be put on performance improvement programs and most of them who are put on PIP leave the organization. Its a way of weeding out the bottom lot and lot of companies do it.
What if the employee do not leave? That would have been the case in the last 2+ years.

I have seen companies firing such employees instead of waiting for such employees to resign on their own. I think it works both ways.

But linking attrition to performance management, well, it does not sound logical to me. A poor performer needs to be put on PIP, and given time to improve. But if no improvement happens, then needs to be asked to leave, instead of indirectly asking HR to explain. I guess we are going with this discussion.
Old 4th April 2010, 21:06   #79
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post

Well, then I should say that I was wrong in my third point about services companies. Most of my knowledge is from product companies.

My data is from knowledge of Cisco, NSN, Motorola, Alcatel-Lucent, Siemens, Nokia, Samsung, Juniper, Oracle, SAP, Intuit like product companies. Also from a few startups.

BTW, are you aware of how much Microsoft or Google pays? 3X to 4X, depending on profile.
there are always exceptions, i got friends in almost ALL the places u mentioned and even more like GE, HP, Intel. Once you are IN a company the growth is slow- last 3 years not many got hikes also. When hired from outside, the jump is 30% or max 40% and then ones sal depends on what was previous salary. Anyways, those who are getting 2X, raise your hands and give us the company names you work with, will apply
Old 5th April 2010, 00:17   #80
BHPian

4K per month from GOI

Govt of India has given a hike of Rs. 4K per month starting April 1st (income tax slab revisions).
Old 6th April 2010, 10:11   #81
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Govt of India has given a hike of Rs. 4K per month starting April 1st (income tax slab revisions).
that depends on the tax slabs you are currently in- but yes there has been an increase. However there are vvv weird situations like mine where the increase has been reduced a little! Yes- its complicated but its the case here
Old 9th April 2010, 20:24   #82
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the average hike is in range of 8-10% this year.

Consumer price inflation is near 17%.

This means net effect is a loss.
Old 9th April 2010, 20:35   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Looks like the average hike is in range of 8-10% this year.

Consumer price inflation is near 17%.

This means net effect is a loss.
And those with Zero % hike (like my company) - > TOTAL LOSS.
Old 9th April 2010, 21:35   #84
mkh
Senior - BHPian

looks like the only professions that are worth pursuing now are either related to being a TV commentator on IPL or something around that( including the cheerleaders, their pay cheques never will fall! The other is probably around the car industry in a major city in india- people are anyways going to walk in to buy, commissions are sure and soaring( i know perfect idiots making 30-40K as commissions with 0 effort)
Old 9th April 2010, 21:45   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
....The other is probably around the car industry in a major city in india- people are anyways going to walk in to buy, commissions are sure and soaring( i know perfect idiots making 30-40K as commissions with 0 effort)
Wow!! That is some good money for sales consultants. Which brands are these??
Old 9th April 2010, 22:05   #86
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Wow!! That is some good money for sales consultants. Which brands are these??
hyundai and maruti specifically, ever since the jazz bombed, the i20 is rocking and so are commissions for the hyundai sales folks. That figure was the best but average 20K is what a lot are getting.
Old 9th April 2010, 23:23   #87
Senior - BHPian

Good that they didnt ask you to take a hike
Old 9th April 2010, 23:32   #88
Senior - BHPian

Atleast you guys have got the hikes. I am still being shown the carrots :(
Old 11th April 2010, 15:40   #89
BHPian

Quote:
A person with an experience of X years would get salary in the region of
- 2X, 2X+1 lakhs in an average product company
- 2X+3 or 2X+4 lakhs in a startup
- 2X-1, 2X-2 lakhs in a services company
There would be exceptions to this rule - like in case of freshers, or when company is desperate to attract talent. But, by and large, this is the trend that I have observed.
Raj, I agree with you, on this respect.
And being in a Telecom Product company startup, i am not surpised with these figures at all.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:02   #90
Senior - BHPian

Finally got our hike's today. 11% for me! I'm neither happy or sad about it. Had decided that if its <10% I would quit for sure. But I think they heard of my evil plans

Decided to stick on for a few months and see how my role evolves, will continue if I can see my self evolving into a better role this year. Else ok, see you, bye bye, tata.... Company jumping here I come!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks