Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 15:13   #1546
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What documents should we carry besides the original passport and the appointment printout?
My wife will take my kid to the RPO and she will carry all three original passports with her.
You may want to carry original address proof in either of the parents name. Never know how the guys in there respond. Just being over cautious.
Old 27th August 2014, 20:07   #1547
Senior - BHPian

It was time to renew my already expired passport.

I went through the entire online procedure as follows:
1) Created user id
2) Downloaded the application form
3) Filled the form and uploaded the xml
4) Scheduled an appointment
5) Made payment using Debit card

After everything was successful, downloaded & printed the following:
1) Application form
2) Application Request form with ARN and appointment time
3) Payment receipt

Uploading of documents is optional so skipped it. And anyways, even if you upload, you would still need to produce all documents physically at the PSK.

As mine was Renewal type, the only document needed was the Adhaar card. I had read posts few members that this is incomplete information mentioned on the website. And that is kinda right. Adhaard card is perfect as Address Proof, Photo id proof and DOB proof.

I reached the PSK around 45 minutes before the reporting time mentioned on the application receipt. But that was too early. The entire process of entering PSK is very smooth now and you dont have to waste too much time by going too early. Ideally you should reach at max 20 minutes before your appointment time.

I entered the PSK in a proper and quiet queue 5 minutes before reporting time. Then there was a security check followed Application Receipt check.

Then there were about 5 counter including one reserved for Tatkal only. This is step # 1 in the entire process. This it seems is run by TCS guys. The guy at the counter checks your documents and if all is well, gives you a token number on a half-A4 size paper which is bar coded.

You can enter the next zone only if you have a valid token. Once you enter the inner zone, your token number will be displayed on LCD screens which will have a counter number starting with A (1 to 20). At this counter, all documents will be rechecked and if anomaly fiund will be mentioned in the system. If the person thinks that you can go ahead, then he will take your photograph with Canon 1000D DSLR on a stand. He wil also do your finger prints and scan and upload everything in the system.

You will get the final printout of complete application form and one letter saying that your old passport is now cancelled. Since I have a valid US VISA, my old passport was returned back to me. I will have to carry both old and new everytime, if I am travelling to US.

Next was counter B (1 to 10) which is again displayed on LCD screen against your token number. After going to this counter, the Government officer will recheck all documents and will either approve or keep your application on hold. Mine was kept on hold as they wanted original Marriage certificate, because my old passport did not have it and the new one will have.

So I was directly sent to the Exit counter where I got another print out saying my application is on Hold and nect date and time of appointment.

If you clear step 3 (counter B), then you have to counter C which is the granting zone. Once you reach granting zone, you are done.

Overall the entire experience was really pleasant for me, even though my application is on hold. Compared to the time when I had done my old passport 11 years ago, the place is much much better. Absolutely no agents! Such a relief that is. Also the entire staff is pretty professional IMO.

I have got an appointment after 3 weeks from now to produce original marriage certificate. I asked for an immediate appointment but it seems the On Hold queue is long.

First time in my life I did not feel like I was in a Government office. Clean, neat, professional, systematic and friendly.
Old 27th August 2014, 20:42   #1548
BHPian

Guys, do the District Collection Centers still functional? These used to be there in the district headquarters which were far away from passport office cities. I see the site mentions one can submit there but does anyone have first hand experience in the recent past?
Old 27th August 2014, 22:18   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran View Post
Can you please suggest what documents we might need for my son's renewal under Tatkaal? Whats the procedure to get the Tatkaal appointment?
Regards
Kiran
Apologies Kiran for the late response.

I've checked the Document Advisor section in the Passport website and for a minor Tatkaal application, the following documents seem to be required

http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlin...mentAdvisorInp

1. Proof of Current address (As per the link, parents passport copy should suffice. But it should have the present address endorsed). Else a water bill, or a Telephone bill/Aadhar card with present address.
2. Old passport with copies of the first 2 and last 2 pages. And a copy of the ECNR page. All self-attested.
3. Annexure H (optional)

Now, as you are not in India currently, i would suggest to entrust getting all documents done by someone reliable and close to you.

Secondly, tatkaal passport applications would take a maximum of 3-4 days after appointment. It would also depend on the Passport officer who grants the passport at the last counter whether he/she asks for police verification.

Since, you're going for renewal, there are good chances that it will be smooth and there would be no hiccups. But, still be cautious and take all necessary documents. Please check the URL that i've shared as you would be best suited to select the various combination.
Old 28th August 2014, 15:29   #1550
Distinguished - BHPian

I got some more clarifications. I have raised an application in the website. While registering, I selected "Normal" application and now I want to change it to "Tatkal". Should I raise a new application for that?

Also, do we need to carry any photographs while going to Passport office?
Any dress codes / colors / patterns to be followed?
Anything else to be taken care of other than supporting documents?
Old 28th August 2014, 15:44   #1551
BHPian

So as photographs are taken at the Passport Seva Kendra itself, what about the photos on the Verification Annexures, they would be different from the one that would be clicked at the PSK right.
Is that ok, asking as during issuance of my passport under Tatkal, the passport officer had a made hue and cry about the 2 different snaps I had stuck on the application and the annexure.

Getting my wifes passport done under Tatkal, had heard about the photograph being taken at the center but wasn't sure about the same.

Cheers!
Trojan
Old 28th August 2014, 16:04   #1552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Should I raise a new application for that?

Also, do we need to carry any photographs while going to Passport office?
Any dress codes / colors / patterns to be followed?
Anything else to be taken care of other than supporting documents?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
So as photographs are taken at the Passport Seva Kendra itself, what about the photos on the Verification Annexures, they would be different from the one that would be clicked at the PSK right.

Getting my wifes passport done under Tatkal, had heard about the photograph being taken at the center but wasn't sure about the same.

Cheers!
Trojan
You have to submit a new application for TATKAL. There is no way to change from Normal to Tatkal.

Photographs are not required anymore. At step 2 of the process, the person at counter will click your photos with DSLR camera.

The only photo you need to paste is on the application form printout that you need to carry with you.

There is no dress code as such, but you should wear a decent shirt/top since your upper half is captured and gets pasted on your new passport.

If you have mentioned your spouse's name in the application form, then you need to carry original marriage certificate. This is not mentioned on the website anywhere.

All these points are based on the service at the PSK center at Pune. I hope it is the same at your centres too.

All the best !
Old 28th August 2014, 17:50   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
The only photo you need to paste is on the application form printout that you need to carry with you.
Are you sure that the application form has to be printed out? I don't see that being mentioned earlier.
The appointment printout is required - and I have that one printed.
Old 28th August 2014, 19:33   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Are you sure that the application form has to be printed out? I don't see that being mentioned earlier.
The appointment printout is required - and I have that one printed.
It's not required as such, but when you select the option View Submitted Application, you will see the option to Print form. Also the person at the 1st counter did glance at the form. I also saw everyone carrying the printout.

I would suggest don't take a chance. One printout wont harm much.
Old 31st August 2014, 13:58   #1555
BHPian

Hello Gurus,

Need to renew my wife's passport. Have the following queries:

1. Her existing passport was issued prior to marriage. Need to change the last name now. We have marriage registration certificate. What should we fill in the application form? Her earlier last name or new last name?
2. If we fill her new last name, do we need to mention that she has changed her name?
3. All the certificates/address proofs are in her earlier last name. If we mention the new last name, any precautions/new proofs we need to take along?
4. Do we need to get the marriage certificate attested by Notary as mentioned in some previous posts?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TSIched'Out : 31st August 2014 at 14:01.
Old 4th September 2014, 17:29   #1556
Senior - BHPian

I renewed the passport today. Process was smooth but took 6 hours due to huge queues on each counter. Passport would be issued in 3 - 4 days and police verification will happen after that. Got an SMS that "printing has been initiated".

Basically, needed two documents:

1. Aadhar
2. MTNL bills

But I preferred previous way of issuing passports. Last time I did that was in 2003 or 04.

All I had to do was to visit speed post , post master validated originals and forwarded the application to passport office. It took around 2 months I think.

Current process wastes one working day.
Old 4th September 2014, 17:33   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I renewed the passport today. Process was smooth but took 6 hours due to huge queues on each counter. Passport would be issued in 3 - 4 days and police verification will happen after that. Got an SMS that "printing has been initiated".

Basically, needed two documents:

1. Aadhar
2. MTNL bills

But I preferred previous way of issuing passports. Last time I did that was in 2003 or 04.

All I had to do was to visit speed post , post master validated originals and forwarded the application to passport office. It took around 2 months I think.

Current process wastes one working day.
Was it Tatkal ? Is there no change in address ?
Old 4th September 2014, 18:01   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Was it Tatkal ? Is there no change in address ?

It was not Tatkal. Address has changed and MTNL Bill was required as proof of new address.

It seems that almost all "Reissue" cases were granted passports with "Post" verification mode. As per this link, time taken for issuing passports is same as Tatkal if verification mode is "Post"

http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlin...deDetails.html
Old 4th September 2014, 18:29   #1559
Senior - BHPian

That's what I thought when In applied for passport. Proceed to the police station which you selected in the application after one week and finish off the verification formalities. Without this you won't get your passport.

Post verification is only applicable for Tatakal and no address change applications. I am talking from first hand experience in Pune.

I too got a message that printing has been initiated but after 3 weeks I got another message which said your PVR is pending at Yerwada Thana, please contact them immediately.

Last edited by F150 : 4th September 2014 at 18:33.
Old 4th September 2014, 21:12   #1560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Post verification is only applicable for Tatakal and no address change applications. I am talking from first hand experience in Pune.
Okay, so it wont be that quick after all. This might be a system quirk. This is the verification mode mentioned in receipt / acknowledgement.

Passport Renewal Procedure-verification_mode.png

Most Viewed