Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2015, 15:06   #1876
Senior - BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Reissue. Go ahead - use the wizard at http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppO...ct/welcomeLink and figure out the documents you need.
Old 13th July 2015, 15:10   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Guys

Is passport renewal to be done by filling details on 'Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport'???

Please confirm as my passport expires on 25th Jan 2016

Thanks
Its obviously a re-issue, since you already hold a valid Indian passport.
Old 31st August 2015, 16:19   #1878
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Kannur PSK (Kerala) for renewing my passport (+adding my wife's name in new).

Appointment time: 9.45 AM
Reporting Time: 9.30 AM

Reached the place around 9.15 AM, there was decent crowd. Went through security check, token issue, A+B+C counters and acknowledgement receipt counters in less than 30 minutes. I was out of PSK office by 9.45 AM, excellent staffs and nice service.
Old 4th September 2015, 16:12   #1879
BHPian

I had applied for renewal of my passport in early June. Got appointment at Thane PSK and submitted all relevant documents, photo clicked and passport application submitted. The reason for renewal is that my passport was issued 10 years ago at an embassy abroad in hand-written format. As per the new guidelines, all handwritten passports should be replaced with machine readable passports before Nov 2015. Handwritten ones will not be valid after that.

My application also has an address change. The current address is a rented apartment and I have been staying here for the last three months. So, I had to submit proof of previous rented apartment too.

A week after the submission, I get a call from the local police station asking me to come to the station for the verification. I go there the next day and they ask me to come with a "lot" of documents for verification. These were more than what even the passport kendra had asked me to submit. Following documents were asked for the verification ...

1. 2 photos
2. birth certificate/school leaving certificate (for DOB verification)
3. marriage certificate (for marriage proof to spouse)
4. degree certificate (for education proof)
5. rent agreement for the current address
6. society letter confirming that I stay there
7. References of two families staying in the society

PSK didn;t ask me for 1,2,3,4, and 6.

Well, it took me a few days to collect all these documents. Anyway, I gathered them and submitted at the police station. They checked and verified everything and confirmed that verification completed.

After couple of weeks I checked website and found the status as "Police verification not clear, passport application under review".

I thought maybe the verification at the old address police station had not completed. I never received any call from the old address police station for verification.

I waited for three more weeks and kept checking the status which never changed. Many people I spoke to said that I should go to both the police station and "ensure" that the verification part is completed. I didn't have any time to do that and I thought that I had done my part, so why should I go and check again.

After couple of more weeks, I found the RTI link at the passport website and through that I submitted an RTI request. There was a small fee of Rs. 10 and everything was online.

Within two days, the status of my application changed to "Police verification completed and Passport application will be dispatched soon to your address".
Following day, I get the message and SMS that my passport has been dispatched via speed post. Now, the passport is on its way and I should get it any day.

Moral of the story, RTI is a powerful tool to get things moving in a govt. organisation. But the question is why should people resort to RTI for anything to be done. Mine was a simple case of passport renewal. I also thought that renewal does not require police verification but maybe in my case, since I was in a relatively new resident, they resorted to the police verification.

I was also left wondering, why the police needed all those documents when all they were supposed to verify and ratify was my place of stay and any criminal records.
Old 8th September 2015, 11:28   #1880
Senior - BHPian

My passport was expiring next July and I wanted to make a few changes including address change and addition of my wife's name.

Got an appointment for today 9:30AM.
Reached the passport office at 9AM sharp, I was allowed inside and the whole process was streamlined and I was out by 10:10AM.
As soon as I sat in my car, I got a SMS that my passport is being printed.

Appreciate the no hassle and smooth functioning of Passport office.
Really hope for a day when all Govt offices function as smoothly without any bribes.
Old 8th September 2015, 11:54   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
My passport was expiring next July and I wanted to make a few changes including address change and addition of my wife's name.

Got an appointment for today 9:30AM.
Reached the passport office at 9AM sharp, I was allowed inside and the whole process was streamlined and I was out by 10:10AM.

Appreciate the no hassle and smooth functioning of Passport office.
Really hope for a day when all Govt offices function as smoothly without any bribes.
Can you please help me with the brief process , even my passport is expiring and and need to make address change .
Old 8th September 2015, 12:01   #1882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What about police verification for address change? I think I had to do police verification when the passport was renewed along with address change.
Old 8th September 2015, 12:29   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please help me with the brief process , even my passport is expiring and and need to make address change.
Register yourself on the passport website and fill in the online application.
For address change, you can visit the document section to find out the documents which can be used as address proof.

Pay the fees online and get an appointment.

Ensure you carry all the documents in original along with self attested photocopies to the passport office.

At the front desk, they will prepare a file for your application and provide an token number.

There are three sections, A, B and C.
After your receive your token number, wait for your call to section A.

In Section A, they will take your photo, fingerprints and upload all the relevant documents. You can also opt for SMS service by paying Rs.35/- in cash which will provide your application status.

In the next two sections, they will verify your application and if it's all clear, you collect your receipt and acknowledgment at the exit counter. That's pretty much it.

Quote:
What about police verification for address change? I think I had to do police verification when the passport was renewed along with address change.
Even I was surprised that there was no police verification as there was a change in address. Maybe the fact that my apartment is bang opposite a police station helped the cause.

I believe it may also depend on the person doing the verification, my final verification was done by the Assistant Passport Officer herself.

Also I found this news dated August 5th 2015, which states that no police verification is required for renewal of passports if the initial verification done by police is all clear.

Police-verification-no-longer-required-for-reissue-of-passports-govt
Old 11th September 2015, 18:31   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Received my passport today. A very quick turnaround of just three days.
Kudos to MEA and Passport Office for efficient work.
Old 17th September 2015, 11:38   #1885
BHPian

Thank you for the information provided, my passport is also expiring next July. May I know to which PSK you went, Lalbagh one or marthahalli one?

Quote:
Received my passport today. A very quick turnaround of just three days.
Kudos to MEA and Passport Office for efficient work.
Old 19th September 2015, 07:09   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
Thank you for the information provided, my passport is also expiring next July. May I know to which PSK you went, Lalbagh one or marthahalli one?
I visited the Marathhalli PSK.
Old 19th September 2015, 18:39   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Passport Renewal Procedure

Has anyone recently changed place or date of birth in passport. Earlier they used to ask for court order. But there is a Karnataka HC order which says that if the dates are less than 2 yrs and place within same state, there is no need for a court order as per Passport Manual.
Old 5th October 2015, 13:03   #1888
BHPian

Hi All. Now that 'Bangalore' is renamed to 'Bengaluru', in the Re-Issue application form, do i have to refer to the city with the new name 'Bengaluru' everywhere?
Old 11th October 2015, 13:05   #1889
BHPian

I had applied for wife's and kids passport renewal. (Earlier passport was on same address). I got a SMS and mail that all the passports have been dispatched. I can also see the package details on speed post portal.
Still I got a SMS from police station asking to come with more documents than needed for passport renewal.
Do I need to visit the police station as passports are on the way ?
Has anyone experienced similar situation
Old 11th October 2015, 13:28   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
I had applied for wife's and kids passport renewal. (Earlier passport was on same address). I got a SMS and mail that all the passports have been dispatched. I can also see the package details on speed post portal.
Still I got a SMS from police station asking to come with more documents than needed for passport renewal.
Do I need to visit the police station as passports are on the way ?
Has anyone experienced similar situation
Police verification and dispatch of PP's are a parallel process for renewals.

Please visit the PS with the required documents.

Waseem.....

Most Viewed