Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:25   #2011
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

My passport is due to expire on 21st Sept 2016 (in 5 months). I have already applied for renewal which is next Friday (29th April). However I need to travel and need passport number for invite letter. Unfortunately I got to know of travel post submission of renewal application else I would have applied for Tatkal.

Is it possible to provide old (about to expire, 5 month validity left) passport details or better wait for new passport?

Will the old passport be returned after visit to PSK?

If I get new passport, will the visa be stamped in old passport or new?

If it will be in old passport, should I tell PSK officials anything specific about the visa stamping due in few days time?
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:39   #2012
BHPian

Hi AltoLXI!

From your post it seems like you haven't yet handed in your application for Passport renewal.

I would advise you to wait for your new passport because as soon as you hand in your application for a new passport, your old passport will be cancelled, so it cannot be used for any official work.

Your old passport will be returned after cancelling it at the PSK.

The visa will be stamped on your new passport as your old passport will stand cancelled.

Since, you haven't handed in your application yet, you could apply under Tatkal scheme. I think you can convert your existing appointment for a regular passport to a Tatkal one.
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:40   #2013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Is it possible to provide old (about to expire, 5 month validity left) passport details or better wait for new passport?

If it will be in old passport, should I tell PSK officials anything specific about the visa stamping due in few days time?
Answer --> PP number will change, so wait for new PP and give new PP number in the visa application.

Answer --> Yes, it will be cancelled & returned.

Answer --> Visa will be stamped in new PP.

Answer --> See above answer.
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:42   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
My passport is due to expire on 21st Sept 2016 (in 5 months). I have already applied for renewal which is next Friday (29th April). However I need to travel and need passport number for invite letter. Unfortunately I got to know of travel post submission of renewal application else I would have applied for Tatkal.
Depends on when you need to travel and how long. If you want to travel immediately, you can stop the renewal process and travel using the old passport and renew it later. The fee paid is usually valid for a year, even if you cancel the application.

Quote:
If you are going through the renewal process, then you have to give the new passport number.

Quote:
Yes, the old passport will be returned to you, but with a "Cancelled" stamp put across the passport, which makes it invalid for any purpose.

Quote:
Once your old passport is stamped with a "Cancelled" seal, it will not be used for any further processes. From then on, everything will be done in your new passport.

Quote:
As I told earlier, once your visa application is through, they will cancel the old passport and you will not be able to do anything with that. So, you can decide whether to travel with your old passport and delay the renewal or go ahead with the renewal process and wait for the new passport.
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:59   #2015
BHPian

Thanks to all for the quick replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Depends on when you need to travel and how long. If you want to travel immediately, you can stop the renewal process and travel using the old passport and renew it later. The fee paid is usually valid for a year, even if you cancel the application.
I need to travel ASAP and stay for 2 months. But will the US embassy issue visa on a passport which has 5 months validity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Answer --> PP number will change, so wait for new PP and give new PP number in the visa application.
I will try for postponement of travel dates, if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonorm View Post
You could apply under Tatkal scheme. I think you can convert your existing appointment for a regular passport to a Tatkal one.
I have already applied for the renewal and the visit is scheduled next Friday.
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:07   #2016
BHPian

Quote:

I need to travel ASAP and stay for 2 months. But will the US embassy issue visa on a passport which has 5 months validity?
Most countries require you to have a passport with a minimum validity of 6 months. Please check the Embassy website for details.

Quote:
I have already applied for the renewal and the visit is scheduled next Friday.
You can still reschedule your appointment and opt for Tatkal scheme. Please check the tatkal appointment time for your PSK online and login at that time to book. You can get an earlier appointment (as early as Monday).
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:16   #2017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Most countries require you to have a passport with a minimum validity of 6 months. Please check the Embassy website for details.
What Autonorm says is correct. From http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-gen-faq.asp#qlistgen2

Please obtain a new passport before your interview if:

Your passport is going to expire in less than 6 months after the time you enter the United States.
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:17   #2018
BHPian

Quote:

I need to travel ASAP and stay for 2 months. But will the US embassy issue visa on a passport which has 5 months validity.
They will stamp it with 10 year validity anyway. You will need to carry the older passport for the next 10 years with you always to enter the US. Also staying two months on a business visa is not advisable. May lead to problems next time you go back there.
Indians are permitted to enter the US with a minimum validity of 3 months of passport. I remember the immigration officer lugging a fat rules book to check if he could let me in, when I visited with 4 months left on my PP!!
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:29   #2019
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Please obtain a new passport before your interview if:

Your passport is going to expire in less than 6 months after the time you enter the United States.
Yes my office travel desk also told the same. So I think I will wait for new passport. Checked with PM if I can change to Tatkal and he says the travel is not "very urgent" to warrant change from Normal to Tatkal. So will wait till 29th for Normal appointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Also staying two months on a business visa is not advisable. May lead to problems next time you go back there.
The last time I went on B1 from different company, I stayed for three months. Will I face any problems this time?
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:37   #2020
BHPian

Quote:
Yes my office travel desk also told the same. So I think I will wait for new passport. Checked with PM if I can change to Tatkal and he says the travel is not "very urgent" to warrant change from Normal to Tatkal. So will wait till 29th for Normal appointment.
Your passport if applied under Tatkal scheme will be issued in a week and under normal process is about 30 days after receipt of submission of application. You will be able to apply for your visa only after you have your new passport in hand. So plan accordingly.
Old 27th April 2016, 12:47   #2021
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. Your anecdotes helped reassure us.

Approval was in two days, and on the sixth working day, the passport was despatched in the morning!

Quote:
For a minor, police verification is not needed if either parent hold valid passport with spouse name endorsed in it. Also, there is no address change in this case. So, it should not take that long irrespective of whether it's a renewal or re-issue. I am assuming your son's case is a re-issue as you've written "after cancellation of old passport". Wait for 2-3 days; that is enough for the application status to change to "PP sent for printing". If it doesn't happen, then visit the RPO to speed things up.

You can also submit a query here: http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlin...uestHomeAction

At least I got a call after I used the above page, and the PSK representative answered all my queries satisfactorily.

EDIT: This is another thread on the specific topic: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...s-here-11.html

Cheers,
Vikram
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
No it should not. As per my experience for my kid, police verification is not required for minor and as per your case there is not change in address
(I believe address in your passport is same as well).

Please check if there is a shortage in 'Blue Book', if that is the case, then leave everything on God, even PSK / RPO can not control the printing.

To beat the time, you can try out TATKAL route. Now a days, they are bit strict, but not so in case of a minor. For peace of mind, you can get one recommendation letter from any IAS or IPS officer from your state, if you can arrange one. Under TATKAL scheme, you should get it in 1 week, if not, then not more that 2.

For me, I did my son's 1st passport from B'lore PSK through 'TATKAL'. Though they were rejecting the tatkal application from regular citizens who did not have the recommendation from any IAS /IPS officers, they have gladly accepted my son' application (Kid effect ). Passport sent for printing the same evening and I got that delivered in 1 week flat.

As 'comfortablynumb' suggested, please check with RPO, only after applying through PSK.

And yeah, don't forget to opt for the SMS service, it helps.
Old 9th May 2016, 22:11   #2022
BHPian

Is it mandatory to specify the spouse details (and attach your marriage certificate) during passport renewal if your marital status has changed in last 10 years?

Can I continue to apply with status as married, without providing the marriage certificate (I don't mind, if the spouse name is not included in my PP for now). Open to give the name, but no proof is available as of now.

Also, is it sufficient if one of the members (husband or wife) has the spouse name documented? OR should both have their spouse names reflected in case they want to travel together at a later point in time?
(I.e., the spouse can get the certificate processed later, apply for password with this info & get the spouse name included)
Old 10th May 2016, 11:33   #2023
BHPian

I got my new (renewal) passport last week. Details as below:

The appointment was scheduled on April 29th at PSK Lalbagh. The scheduled time was 12:45 pm and I was there at 12:15. Applicants have to wait in the waiting area - outside the PSK (on left side of building) till the batch is called out. The lady will mark the time on the ARN sheet and applicants are allowed inside at scheduled time. The security will direct applicants to the counters. The person at counter took only the previous passport copy and ARN printout, generated the file and token receipt.

Time taken at counters:

- Within 5 minutes after entering the hall, I was at A counter where Biometric data was collected.
- Waited for around 30 minutes for B counter. The person checked old passport and returned the file.
- Waited for another 20 minutes for counter C. The old passport was stamped as cancelled and returned. At the exit the receipt was issued and token receipt taken back.

I was out of PSK at 2 pm

- I immediately got an SMS saying - No police verification and that passport was sent for printing
- On 3rd May, got SMS saying passport printed.
- On 5th May, got SMS saying passport dispatched.

So it just took 6 days for the renewal ! I found the process has become even more efficient in PSK than during the last time.

I have a question now:

My old cancelled passport has a valid B1/B2 visa which expires in Dec 2016 issued by previous organization (no annotation). Can I travel immediately with new passport and old cancelled passport with valid visa?
Old 10th May 2016, 12:30   #2024
Distinguished - BHPian

An incredible experience with PSK Pune. My daughter's passport was due for reissue (with a changed address). Booked an appointment online for last Tuesday and was given the first slot of the day (8:45 am). Address proof (daughter's Aadhar card + my electricity bill) and copies of both parents' passports and Annexure H were the only documents requested. Aadhar card of both parents (with the updated addresses) were asked but not insisted on since elec bill served as POA.

PSK process took about 90 minutes end-to-end. My wife says it was absolutely pain-free and the TCS folks manning the counters were friendly and efficient. The status got updated almost instantly to "Under Process". By 9:30 pm the same day, it showed "Passport printed", which is nothing short of amazing.

Passport was dispatched the very next day and received on afternoon of Thursday. End-to-end the process took less than 2 calendar days! And this wasn't even tatkaal.

I've applied for 5 passports in the family since 2010 and this is the best experience we've ever had. Good going, Pune PSK!
Old 10th May 2016, 13:13   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
(8:45 am). Address proof (daughter's Aadhar card + my electricity bill) and copies of both parents' passports and Annexure H were the only documents requested. Aadhar card of both parents (with the updated addresses) were asked but not insisted on since elec bill served as POA.
Noopster,

I am also in the same boat. Aadhar cards of parents and kid are in the old address. But Electricity Bill is in New Address. And have HDFC Bank statement with updated address. Will these suffice as POA. Btw, Both parents names are endorsed in each others passport and in kids passport.

Any guidance is highly appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks