Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2011, 23:36   #196

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Guys, applied for re-issue on normal track. I got a status 'clear PAC' on track status, does anyone know what this means?

Thanks.
Old 15th April 2011, 13:19   #197
BHPian

Hi, I live in Mumbai and my passport got expired in June 2010 but I saw it just today when I went to the bank to submit some proofs.
I have to go abroad after 30-45 days so now I'm in deep problem.
Anyone knows how much time will it take to renew my passport.
Anyone knows of any agent in Mumbai who can get it renewed in less time(by taking extra $$$ ofcourse) . I don't mind paying extra just to get it done on time.
Any help will be really appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:07   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Hi, I live in Mumbai and my passport got expired in June 2010 but I saw it just today when I went to the bank to submit some proofs.
Anyone knows of any agent in Mumbai who can get it renewed in less time(by taking extra $$$ ofcourse) . I don't mind paying extra just to get it done on time.
Thanks.
Should not be a problem. You can apply for an re issue of passport. If you need it urgently then apply through Tatkal, will take 8-10 days for the passport. Thats the least time taken by the passport office.

Why do you need an agent for that when you can do it yourself? Apply online and take an appointment. Have all the documents in place (2 sets atleast) and visit the passport office on the appointment day, submit the docs, pay the fee and you are done. Wait till the passport arrives. No need to pay extra to any one.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:49   #199
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

This attempts to be a humourous distillate of the process in Bangalore for applying for re-issue of passport - this is as far as I have understood it and what I am experiencing at the moment.

The new passport seva kendras are the only places where you can submit your documents and apply for passports. The whole process has to be initiated via the internet by downloading the requisite forms and keeping the necessary documents ready, then creating an user id for passportindia.gov.in and "managing one's appointment" via the net.

For example for reissue of passport (in cases pages are over or getting over) + inclusion of spouse name + perhaps, address change, one needs the following documents.

SITE: Passport Seva Portal

1. Application Form (PDF file downloadable from the site)
2. Address Proof document: Could be Mobile (postpaid) bill - one bill of last calendar year and one bill of current calendar year
3. Marriage certificate with joint photo
4. FORM D - Affidavit - stating marriage details + joint photo
5. Original passport (s) + 2 self attested photocopies of first 2 pages (including ECNR page)and last 2 pages of the same.
6. 2 Photos.
7. Cost of service Rs 1500 - payable by cash or card.

All the documents can be uploaded to the site and submitted in this way - only all of them need to be in PDF format only - size limit 1MB max each.

As I understand it, one needs to go to the PSK as per the appointment date - 30 minutes before the appointment time along with all the submitted documents in original and the self attested photocopies and then submit the same.

I also understand that they no longer use the standard passport size photos - they take photos of the person at the PSK using a Web Cam or VGA system like they do when one registers a property etc.

One can no longer go and stand in queue at the Regional Passport office like one used to be able to do earlier. Further, one can no longer use the services of agents for passport renewal/ re-issue or whatever.

One cant even go to these Passport Seva Kendras without an appointment as they wont let one in unless in cases of extreme medical emergency - (I can just imagine a heart patient or cancer patient who has to fly to the US or the UK for treatment being made to go through this - since one has to appear in person for the passport procedures).

My recent experience has been that the appointments are only available via "normal" mode around 40-45 days from the current date since there appears to be a lot of pressure on the system. At least this seems to be the scenario in Bangalore.

One can try and book a Tatkaal appointment by paying Rs 3000/- (double the normal charge). The internet based appointment token lottery system opens up sharp at 8am in the morning and one is able (in case one is lucky) to book an appointment for the very next day only. One cannot bid for or book a Tatkaal appointment for even 2-3 days in the future - only for the very next day.

Further, the Tatkaal system is operational from 8am Sunday through 8am Thursday. It is not operational on Fridays because Saturday and Sunday are non working days. It is also shut on all public holidays. The PSK is open from 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday.

This could be a big challenge considering the number of people trying to logon at 8 am each day (on the relevant days) and book a Tatkaal appointment. Imagine then the scenario the next day - all those who failed to secure the appointment would again be logged on at 8am like lemmings, poised over their mouses (mice??!!) with itchy trigger fingers, licking their parched lips in anticipation of the big moment, drool dripping from the corners of their insensate mouths, eyeballs glued with superglue to their flickering LCD monitors/screens, waiting for the page to refresh asap, plus all the new chaps who decided that they wanted an appointment the next day would barge into the internets virtual queue and cause the page to refresh, but agonizingly slowly!

This would then become like an endless cycle on account of the massive and endless backlog that is being generated each day -rather like a hellish moebius strip, from where there is no escape until one either dies or goes completely mad.

Hence, getting a Tatkaal appointment would appear to be a little like playing Russian Roulette on the internet but without the loaded gun bit!

If one calls their famous "hell-line" (helpline) 1800-258-1800 (it is open for calls from 8am to 10pm daily except Saturdays and Sundays), one will be met with a very soft voice with a "being-helpful-with-gritted- teeth" sounding approach and a determinedly patient-sounding lady at the other end who will simply keep repeating (parrotwise) that they regret they are unable to assist with appointments and that the only way is to keep trying the Tatkaal method until one gets the appointment. "This is the process saar. What we can do saar? Please to be using internet website saar and so on." Else one is advised to be patient and go the "normal" route.

No amount of cajoling or coaxing or trying to explain that their methodology and/or logic is completely flawed, (with respect to "Tatkaal appointments being available only for the very next day"), will result in any kind of positive action - just a saccharine sweet "stock" reply will be elicited, ad nauseam.

By this time one is probably on the edge of a breakdown and has already ripped one's scalp open with one's frustrated and unsuccessful efforts to pull out one's little remaining hair.

It s been a truly educational and eye-opening experience so far. So I ve just booked an appointment via the internet on the normal quota. The appointment is fixed for a distant date in the future (end of May 2011) and I shall present myself quietly on that date to do the needful.

I understand that once the documents are submitted and accepted, the passport document will be re-issued and reach the applicant within 7-8 days maximum.

I shall be content with that, for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Should not be a problem. You can apply for an re issue of passport. If you need it urgently then apply through Tatkal, will take 8-10 days for the passport. Thats the least time taken by the passport office.

Why do you need an agent for that when you can do it yourself? Apply online and take an appointment. Have all the documents in place (2 sets atleast) and visit the passport office on the appointment day, submit the docs, pay the fee and you are done. Wait till the passport arrives. No need to pay extra to any one.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th April 2011 at 15:58. Reason: speeling and punctuation
Old 16th April 2011, 20:44   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
Apply for Tatkal ASAP.

You can apply on line https://passport.gov.in/pms/Information.jsp.

More Information is available at:: Welcome to Passport Office Mumbai :: office site, Tatkaal Scheme, and get an appointment. Go with all the listed document on the appointed day, never mind the time reach as early as possible. In Delhi, the time between applying on line and getting passport by Tatkal is around 8 to 10 days.
Old 16th April 2011, 21:24   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
For example for reissue of passport (in cases pages are over or getting over) + inclusion of spouse name + perhaps, address change, one needs the following documents.
Thanks for your detailed post. Is this only for BLR?

As regards the verbiage of 'reissue' vs 'renewal' I believe the former means extending passports that are expiring, whereas the latter refers to extending passports that were originally issued for periods less than 10 years.

Funny terminology, but this is what I was made to believe when I renewed---err got re-issued my family's passports in 2008
Old 18th April 2011, 12:44   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Apply for Tatkal ASAP.

You can apply on line https://passport.gov.in/pms/Information.jsp.

More Information is available at:: Welcome to Passport Office Mumbai :: office site, Tatkaal Scheme, and get an appointment. Go with all the listed document on the appointed day, never mind the time reach as early as possible. In Delhi, the time between applying on line and getting passport by Tatkal is around 8 to 10 days.
Guys thanks for your replies. The problem is that when my passport expired i was 17(minor) and now just before 10 days I turned 18(major) So it would be a lengthy process to get my passport renewed. My younger bro is 11 and his passport got expired on 2nd april but his will get renewed within a week. Anyways, I have already given my passport to an agent and will be getting it within a month.
Old 18th April 2011, 13:26   #203
Senior - BHPian

I have sent in my application for renewal through Choudhari Yatra Company. A big mistake that I realized too late. The final date for submitting the appliation was 1st April. I am waiting for a confirmation from them that the application has been submitted to the passport office and a receipt issued. Hopefully I should get the receipt this week along with my original documents.

The attitude wasn't entirely professional as I have had to call up and follow up on almost each and everything after I approached them. Would not recommend them to anyone else, unless it's the last option left.
Old 18th April 2011, 13:46   #204
BANNED

Hi
My recent experience pertains only to Bangalore.
One has to apply for Reissue of passport - this is absolutely necessary for having them add more pages/ issue a fatter 60 page booklet, add/ endorse spouse's name, note the change of address to correct address etc.
I am not sure whether they will automatically renew these passports at the same time.
My passport expires in 2014 and my wife's in 2015. I am not sure as of now if they will reissue us with fresh passports with validity upto 2021 or whatever.
Both our passports were renewed in 2004-2005 and hence are the normal 10 year passports.
I plan to wait for the actual date stated - 26th May as that is a confirmed appointment via the "normal" method. We will anyway try to logon one of these days at 8am and see if we can by chance get ourselves a tatkaal appointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for your detailed post. Is this only for BLR?

As regards the verbiage of 'reissue' vs 'renewal' I believe the former means extending passports that are expiring, whereas the latter refers to extending passports that were originally issued for periods less than 10 years.

Funny terminology, but this is what I was made to believe when I renewed---err got re-issued my family's passports in 2008
Old 18th April 2011, 16:14   #205
BHPian

Hi All,

I need to get my wife's name changed in her passport, as well as include my name in the spouse's name column. The passport site gives instructions on how to get the spouse's name included, but nothing about the name change.

Any pointers?

My passport does have her name (the new name) as spouse's name.

The passport was issued in Delhi, but now we're in Chennai (but no address proof, accept lease agreement and mobile phone bills). Will the Chennai passport office entertain us?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Cheers,
Vineet
Old 18th April 2011, 17:24   #206
BHPian

for wife 's name change -

if it;s purely due to marriage , than your marriage certificate ( in original ) will be more than sufficient along with her passport copy and a undertaking IMO. you can find the format of undertaking on passport's office website.

there is a separate form available on website for including the spouse name ( miscellaneous services one ) Use that . this was done same day in delhi and passport given back by hand and you can get it done in chennai office itself . make sure you are carrying your original marriage certificate .

Pls make sure that you are filling 2 separate form for both . first get the name change in wife 's passport and than apply for inclusion of her name to your passport / vice versa , else you might end up with her old name included in your passport .

PS:- I would advise you to let wife use her 10th mark sheet name in all official documents, else she will face problem in each and every govt thing.
Old 18th April 2011, 19:23   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys thanks for your replies. The problem is that when my passport expired i was 17(minor) and now just before 10 days I turned 18(major) So it would be a lengthy process to get my passport renewed. My younger bro is 11 and his passport got expired on 2nd april but his will get renewed within a week. Anyways, I have already given my passport to an agent and will be getting it within a month.
Now a days they have every thing on their computer, so your old passport particulars will most probably with them. In your case you should submit your old passport with the renewal request, else you may be going round and round due to red tape. In Delhi at least, police verification is required every time the passport is renewed. The only respite is that instead of verifying before renewal, for Tatkal they do it after issue of new passport.

I have found that until and unless you can wait two months, passport renewal is much smoother using Tatkal facility.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:57   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
3. Marriage certificate with joint photo
4. FORM D - Affidavit - stating marriage details + joint photo
Was just going through the passport site and checked the documents required, it says that for spouse name addition, either the marriage certificate OR the joint affidavit (form D) is required. Is that right or is there some confusion here?
Old 19th April 2011, 12:00   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athalaga View Post
Was just going through the passport site and checked the documents required, it says that for spouse name addition, either the marriage certificate OR the joint affidavit (form D) is required. Is that right or is there some confusion here?
in delhi, they happily accept marriage certificate provided both the partners are there in front of them , else marriage photo's will do.

form-d is required in case you don't have a marriage certificate.

one or above is required . not both at same time
Old 19th April 2011, 12:15   #210
BANNED

you are absolutely correct. It is either/ or.
Its just that we have prepared ourselves with both documents - just so as to take no chances at all.
In any case the marriage certificate contains a joint photo. The same joint photo is there in the FORM D joint affidavit. All properly notarized and stamped and sealed etc by the relevant authorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athalaga View Post

Most Viewed