Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2019, 23:31   #2566
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Thanks. The passport seva kendra at Vashi has just been inaugurated. It is still not started due to lack of infrastructure and other reasons. It may probably start after elections.
Thank you for this update. Disappointed that a center has been inaugurated but not fixed up & made operable after its inauguration.
Would have been a boon to so many folks who could avoid an unnecessary trip to Thane.
Old 30th March 2019, 07:57   #2567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Thank you for this update. Disappointed that a center has been inaugurated but not fixed up & made operable after its inauguration.
Would have been a boon to so many folks who could avoid an unnecessary trip to Thane.
Absolutely.
Considering the population from Vashi to Panvel and beyond, they should have started it. It's like showing a lollypop and then throwing it away. Now since the Passport application is a centralized thing, you can apply from any center. So even people on the Central side like Sion to Mankhurd can come here. This in turn will reduce the load and crowd at Thane.
Old 29th April 2019, 18:11   #2568
Senior - BHPian

SO today 29/4/2019, I took an appointment at near by PSK. My passport is due to expire on 16/11/2019. The appointment time was at 9:45. Reached at 9.50. Did not take a print of the Acknoweldgment Receipt. Showed sms to security. There were about 5 folks waiting. He asked me to go inside to show the documents to any of the 3 counters inside. Picked what I felt was the shortest, with about 4 people in front of me. Soon, I reached the counter, showed the documents. They wanted me to take a photocopy of the second page of the passport, which I was not aware of. The directed me to an adjacent room, who took photocopies for me at Re1. The lady asked me to come to her side once done. Self attested, got token number and was asked to go to the adjacent hall for A,B,C counters. As soon as I walked in and looked at the TV for the token number, it was already allocated to an 'A' counter. Walked up to this lady who collected the originals, took scan copies, asked me to verify the details entered in the form. (which I had filled online). Finally took a photo of me for the passport and finger prints. Ordered the leather book as well for 550, sms service at 50. Asked me to go counter B. Here again, I was directed to a counter even before I entered. This time she verified the documents agains. I asked her about the duration on when I can get it, and she said, in about a week. She all good, wait for the 'C' counter. Here, I was able to sit for about 2 minutes, before being called / directed to a counter. This lady cancelled my passport and informed me that I will get the passport within a week. Walked out of the center at about 10.10. 20 minutes. By the time I reached the car park, I got an sms that the passport has been forwarded for printing.

Now, I am waiting for the passport. How is this delivered, speed post or courier service?
Old 29th April 2019, 18:17   #2569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Now, I am waiting for the passport. How is this delivered, speed post or courier service?
Via speed post. The tracking number is provided in the passport portal and also in the mail. The postman will deliver it to your home and for me I was asked to show the Aadhar and the copy of the filled form provided in passport office as verification.
Old 29th April 2019, 19:38   #2570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The passport will be delivered via Government speed post. Since you have opted for SMS service, you will know when your passport will be delivered. Here in Mumbai, it came in 3 days. Better to stay home on the day of delivery.
Old 30th April 2019, 17:05   #2571
Senior - BHPian

Today 30/4/2019, I got a confirmation that the passport has been printed via sms. I logged into passport seva website to track status, it is shown as despatched via speed post and gives me a speed post tracking number. However, the consignment number is not yet updated in the speed post website. Will check later tonight.

Edit: It also shows a passport number which starts with Z53xxxxx. Is that the same for everybody? My earlier passport was starting with H51xxxxx.

Last edited by govigov : 30th April 2019 at 17:07.
Old 30th April 2019, 17:28   #2572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It also shows a passport number which starts with Z53xxxxx. Is that the same for everybody? My earlier passport was starting with H51xxxxx.

First letter usually denotes the year of issue.
H is for 2008-09.
Current series is T for 2019-20.

Z series is for some different reason (dont have much details).
I too had a Z series passport and that was because I had applied for a 60 page passport as against the standard which is 36 pages.
Old 30th April 2019, 17:36   #2573
BHPian

Quote:
You were luckier than me. I applied last week for renewal of passport expiring in March next year. Everything went exactly like you mentioned except that the officer at counter C (in my case, APO/RPO I guess) decided to grant passport with pre-police verification. So a week was spent wherein my file came to local police station and got approved from there. Today got a message that passport has gone for printing.

By the way, the person at counter A pestered me a lot for buying the passport cover which I declined very politely. Is that the reason why I did not get renewal without police verification?

Edit: I never thought passport renewal would be such time consuming process. It took me about 90 mins to complete the process. When I had previously applied for fresh passport, I had walked into passport office paid the fees, submitted the documents and came out in flat 10 minutes. Renewal was far more time consuming.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 30th April 2019 at 17:41.
Old 30th April 2019, 17:59   #2574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
By the way, the person at counter A pestered me a lot for buying the passport cover which I declined very politely. Is that the reason why I did not get renewal without police verification?

This is not the reason.
The persons at counter A and B are junior officers who are there for just checking, uploading and reviewing documents. The person at counter C is the one to decide and he or she usually determines your fate by a set of rules. For eg. If you have an address change, then passport will definitely be issued pre or post police verification process. Any one thing not matching or if the officer has any doubts then he can go for a police verification. I clearly remember that a lady who was ahead of me (counter C) was made to pay a fine, I think it was Rs.1500 (not sure). Reason : She had applied for reissue of passport in Tatkal and did not mention details of her previous passport in her online application. She easily cleared counters A and B but was caught at counter C. So the bottom line is that there are a set of rules to be followed and the slightest of doubts can also lead to a police verification.
Sometimes when all our documents are clear for a set procedure, we tend to get irritated when a particular person asks us numerous questions. But if you look at the other side then please note that the particular person is just doing his / her job. I'm not saying that all are honest but its definitely part of their job.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 30th April 2019 at 18:01.
Old 30th April 2019, 18:12   #2575
BHPian

Quote:
For eg. If you have an address change, then passport will definitely be issued pre or post police verification process. Any one thing not matching or if the officer has any doubts then he can go for a police verification.
I am not irritated nor disappointed with the verification check. In my case, all my identity documents have only one common permanent address and identical name everywhere. Also, I got my passport issued against those very documents/address/name. It is because of this reason that I was surprised to see pre-verification requirement, when procedure states no verification in case of same name/address.

In the end, the officer had prerogative which he exercised but I still feel it was subjective judgment which actually was not needed.
Old 30th April 2019, 18:20   #2576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
In the end, the officer had prerogative which he exercised but I still feel it was subjective judgment which actually was not needed.

I agree with you. Sometimes it's just the doubt which is sufficient for the officer. Ideally with all details "same" there should not be any police verification.
Old 30th April 2019, 21:42   #2577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too had a Z series passport and that was because I had applied for a 60 page passport as against the standard which is 36 pages.

That may be true. My application was for a jumbo passport.
Old 30th April 2019, 23:17   #2578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That may be true. My application was for a jumbo passport.

Oh. Now I get it. For jumbo passport (60 pages) it's the Z series. Have personally experienced this. Jumbo is issued to businessmen, diplomats, seafarers etc. if you apply for it.
Old 1st May 2019, 22:16   #2579
Senior - BHPian

Today 01/05/2019, I got the passport delivered to my home by the post woman. My mom signed for it. The lady asked something in return for handing over the passport. Mom gave her a 100rs and let it be. We really can't piss this lady off, as she is the one that brings in some of the more important documents that we are expecting. That was the only mood spoiler.

I have not yet seen pictures of the passport, because mom has not yet opened it. So, I am not sure what to expect, if there are errors, etc.

All in all, if the passport is without errors, I would rate it a 5-star system based on my experience. From renewal to delivery, it took about 50 hours.
Old 3rd May 2019, 12:20   #2580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today 01/05/2019, I got the passport delivered to my home by the post woman. My mom signed for it. The lady asked something in return for handing over the passport. Mom gave her a 100rs and let it be. We really can't piss this lady off, as she is the one that brings in some of the more important documents that we are expecting. That was the only mood spoiler.
Till now some government departments like police, RTO, revenue, customs were corrupt. But Postal department didn't have that culture. Post-person never asked bribe to deliver the letters. Sad to see the fall.
PS: India Post now biggest loss-making PSU, loses Rs 15,000 crore in FY19

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks