Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 17:49   #406
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

PSK is the only way.
if you are applying for the first time you have to use the PSK route
If you are applying for renewal/ re-issue its the same thing.
But once you have submitted your application and received the acknowledgement, you can then go to the RPO, wait in queue, ask for a token and try and meet the Officer to request that your case be speeded up.
RPO queues are interminable and it really can be a pain.
Further you will only be allowed to go to Tatkaal mode if your previous passport police verification record is accessible online. This normally can be an issue if the previous passport was issued anytime before the lastt 6-7 years and if it was issued anywhere other than Bangalore.
Im quoting this from experience as we faced this problem with my wife's passport renewal where she was not allowed Tatkaal mode on account of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
I need a tatkal passport and require it asap. Is it better to submit the passport application at PSK or RPO for quicker processing? Will there be too many people at PSK?

I tried getting an online appointment at RPO but the server always throws an error. I tried this link but as soon as i click next, i get "Internal server error".

Please give your suggestions.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th August 2011 at 17:53.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 18:10   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need a tatkal passport and require it asap. Is it better to submit the passport application at PSK or RPO for quicker processing? Will there be too many people at PSK?

I tried getting an online appointment at RPO but the server always throws an error. I tried this link but as soon as i click next, i get "Internal server error".

Please give your suggestions.
Can you even apply for passport at a Passport Office? According to this link
Passport Seva Portal
Quote:
Following types of applications are processed at a Passport Office (PO):

1. Special purpose passports for visiting countries like Israel/Taiwan
2. Diplomatic Official Passports
3. Further processing of District Passport Cell (DPC)/Speed Post Centre (SPC)/Citizen Service Centre (CSC) cases be sent by respective Passport Seva Kendra (PSK).
4. Further processing of Complex Cases escalated by Assistant Passport Officer (APO) at Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) to Regional Passport Officer (RPO) at Passport Office (PO)
You will have to submit your application at a PSK. You can take an appointment there (if you try around 8 AM in the morning)

As long as your documents are in order, it should be a smooth process at the PSK. After that you may need to follow up with the PO though.
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 20:16   #408
BHPian

Thanks amitoj and shankar.balan.

When my husband was applying for a renewal 3 years back he submitted the docs at RPO, Koramangala. Was not aware that this has been changed.

@shankar.balan,
May i know when you applied for passport renewal for your wife? My husbad did not face any problems while applying but this was 3 yrs back. If it is as difficult as you mentioned then i am in for a big trouble as i need it within 2 weeks :(
Old 17th August 2011, 21:19   #409
BHPian

@Pallavi, I have heard a few years back that there is some sort an express procedure available here in Chennai, that lets one process everything within a week. Your local passport issuing office must be able to update you on that. I think it is referred to some Tatkal scheme if I can remember right.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:13   #410
BHPian

@YaeJay,
Thats the Tatkal scheme and i am trying to apply under the same scheme but all the slots at PSK are booked. I will try again tomorrow.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:53   #411
BHPian

Oh! Even that is booked?! I guess life was easier at my time! All the very best. And kindly update once you have information. Perhaps they should have a super tatkal and a superfast tatkal soon?
Old 17th August 2011, 23:16   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Oh! Even that is booked?! I guess life was easier at my time!
Even you will have to renew your passport sometime :evilgrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
And kindly update once you have information. Perhaps they should have a super tatkal and a superfast tatkal soon?
Actually, i am planning to publish a white paper about my findings
Tatkal is superfast (appr 3days). Getting an appointment at PSK for tatkal is super-difficult.
Old 18th August 2011, 06:52   #413
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

we applied in early April via the internet.
appointment at PSK was given for 26 May on normal mode at PSK Outer ring road. couldnt get a tatkaal appointment at all for even the submission process.
I submitted my application and asked for Tatkaal processing which was granted because the earlier passport records were available on their intranet as it had been re-issued earlier in Bangalore itself. I got my fresh passport in 5 days.
My wife on the other hand had to go on the normal processing mode since her earlier passport had been issued in Bombay.
After a long time and a lot of follow up etc, her passport finally arrived on 21st July under normal mode.
there was a lot of backlog at the Police Commissioners office I believe
I ve actually placed the whole experience down on this thread a few pages ago so do take a look.

Quote:
Thanks amitoj and shankar.balan.

When my husband was applying for a renewal 3 years back he submitted the docs at RPO, Koramangala. Was not aware that this has been changed.

@shankar.balan,
May i know when you applied for passport renewal for your wife? My husbad did not face any problems while applying but this was 3 yrs back. If it is as difficult as you mentioned then i am in for a big trouble as i need it within 2 weeks :(
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 10:42   #414
BHPian

I recently got my passport renewed in Calcutta. THe passport was made initially in Hyderabad. While applying for renewal, I was told that it would take at least 2 months to get a new one. I went through an agent and he also gave me a time line of 2 months. After applying through him, I got the passport in around 20 days.

Cynical that I am, I want to check if the passport is authentic. Is there any way to do that? Please help
Old 20th September 2011, 11:48   #415
BHPian

Need help! my passport has come up for renewal but i am stuck with the issue of passport being issued in one passport office and currently under jurisdiction of another.

My passport was originally issued in Patna in 2002. Since then, i have stayed in bangalore for close to 8 years and now i am in Mumbai for the past 1 year.

My questions is: Can i apply for passport renewal in Mumbai. If yes, what documents would be required. I terms of address proof, all i have is a rent agreement (two different ones since Jul 2010). i also need to get my spouse's name included in my passport.

Will it make more sense to use a agent to save myself the hassle. If it will require multiple visit to the passport office in worli, i would prefer an agent as i live in the suburbs and going all the way during office days will be problematic.

Also, can someone share details of some reliable agents.
Old 20th September 2011, 11:58   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

@funkyp- Mumbai RPO is quite well-organised, from my personal experience a few years ago. Rental agreement is acceptable as address proof but you will also need some supplemental proofs such as bank statements, telephone/electricity bills etc. Please check the Passport office website for full details.

You must apply for reissue (not renewal) of your passport with all the documents listed and your current passport will be cancelled and handed over to you at teh counter.

I don't see how an agent will help, apart from possibly saving you a trip/ standing in queue etc. If you have all your documents in order, one half-day trip should suffice to get your application in.

Please remember that your case will necessarily involve a police verification procedure since it is a new address. From my recent experience in Pune, this is seamless. All the best!
Old 20th September 2011, 12:05   #417
Team-BHP Support

I was going through documents required for renewal of passport.
It says all I need to give is
1. Old passport
2. Photocopies of first 2 and last 2 pages
3. Address proof - Which can be mobile or landline phone bill. One of current year, and one of previous year.

Is this all I need to give? Nothing else needed?
MY old passport was issued in BLR and will expire next year(within one year).
Currently I reside in UP.
Old 20th September 2011, 12:26   #418
BHPian

Question 1:
My passport expires on May 27th 2013, I spoke to a passport agent and they say I can only apply for renewal if I have a period of 1 year or less.

Can someone please explain?

Question 2:
https://passport.gov.in/cpv/TatkalScheme.htm

In the above link, among the list of documents to be furnished to prove credibility, I have to furnish at least one document listed from (a) to (i). The problem here is I have PAN Card, Driving license, Birth Certificate but none of these fall under section (a) to (i)

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 20th September 2011 at 12:28.
Old 20th September 2011, 13:10   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Question 1:
My passport expires on May 27th 2013, I spoke to a passport agent and they say I can only apply for renewal if I have a period of 1 year or less.

Can someone please explain?
What's to explain? You may apply for reissue (that is the correct term, not renewal which has a very specific connotation in the passport context) anytime after May 28th 2012 till the time your passport actually expires. Please note that your passport will be cancelled and handed back to you pending issue of the new one, making travel impossible in the interim.

Quote:
Question 2:
https://passport.gov.in/cpv/TatkalScheme.htm

In the above link, among the list of documents to be furnished to prove credibility, I have to furnish at least one document listed from (a) to (i). The problem here is I have PAN Card, Driving license, Birth Certificate but none of these fall under section (a) to (i)
Any specific reason why you are applying through tatkaal? Please note that you will STILL be able to apply only 1 year prior to expiry (if that's what you're hoping tobypass). You should be able to apply for a regular passport after May 2012 with teh documents you have.
If you're overseas when your passport is expiring, even better. Most consulates abroad do a much better job of reissuing expiring passports (in SIngapore I remember it being done in a matter of a working day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I was going through documents required for renewal of passport.
It says all I need to give is
1. Old passport
2. Photocopies of first 2 and last 2 pages
3. Address proof - Which can be mobile or landline phone bill. One of current year, and one of previous year.

Is this all I need to give? Nothing else needed?
MY old passport was issued in BLR and will expire next year(within one year).
Currently I reside in UP.
Tanveer- not so. The relevant section for you is:
Quote:
2) When applying for reissue of a passport after 10 years, attach:
(a) Old passport in original with self-attested photocopy of its first four and last four pages, including ECR/ECNR page.
(b) Document mentioned at (1) (d), if applicable.
(c) Document mentioned at (1) (e), if the old passport did not have ECNR stamp or it was issued when the applicant was a minor.
(d) If there is any change in address, document mentioned at 1 (a).
(e) If the old passport does not contain spouse name, copy of marriage certificate issued by the Registrar of Marriage or affidavitas per specimen in Annexure `D’.
and tracking back to 1(a):
Quote:
(1) While applying for a fresh passport attach two copies of the following documents:
(a) Proof of address (attach one of the following):
Applicant’s ration card, certificate from Employer of reputed companies on letter head, water /telephone /electricity bill/statement of running bank account/Income Tax Assessment Order /Election Commission ID card, Gas connection Bill, Spouse’s passport copy, parent’s passport copy in case of minors. (NOTE: If any applicant submits only ration card as proof of address, it should be accompanied by one more proof of address out of the above categories).
I am pretty sure they accept only BSNL/MTNL landline bills (no Airtel and the like, similarly no private mobile operators). Bank account is safest- they seem to accept any of those (though there used to be rumour that only nationalised banks statements are accepted).

If you are living in rental accomodation, a registered rental agreement should accompany the above and an electricity bill i owner's name should suffice, alongwith a bank statement with yours.

Damn I should do this for a living
Old 20th September 2011, 13:54   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Any specific reason why you are applying through tatkaal? Please note that you will STILL be able to apply only 1 year prior to expiry (if that's what you're hoping tobypass). You should be able to apply for a regular passport after May 2012 with teh documents you have.
If you're overseas when your passport is expiring, even better. Most consulates abroad do a much better job of reissuing expiring passports (in SIngapore I remember it being done in a matter of a working day).
Thanks for the inputs. 1 year limit is sad, Doing it overseas is not a issue but I have to come back to India to extend my work permit.

I don't have not included the spouse name yet, If I do it now, won't they increase the validity?

I had opted for earlier for tatkal back in 2003 when I had to write GRE, so I believe it will fast forward the process at a cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks