Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 17:36   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Thanks for the inputs. 1 year limit is sad, Doing it overseas is not a issue but I have to come back to India to extend my work permit.

I don't have not included the spouse name yet, If I do it now, won't they increase the validity?

I had opted for earlier for tatkal back in 2003 when I had to write GRE, so I believe it will fast forward the process at a cost.
1. You have till 2013 to renew, think about it when the time comes. I suggest that you renew it when you are posted abroad, the processing is much faster.
2. After ten year tenure you will get a fresh passport, include your wife's name then. Any change you incorporate into your present passport will take time, as they have to issue a new booklet (do not think additions/deletions are allowed in passports), your current passport will be cancelled and handed back. So alow plenty of time prior to travel if applying in India.
All options are detailed here
Untitled Document
3. Tatkal does speed up the process.
Old 20th September 2011, 19:03   #422
BHPian

I've applied for my Passport Renewal at Hyderabad RPO about 5 months ago and my police verification was over exactly 1 month after applying and even today I see that my status reads as Police Verification Pending. I am confused whom to approach. It's been more than 5 months since I applied and was told that Passport Renewal procedure takes no more than a month to renew the passport. Any leads about whom to approach would be really helpful.
Old 20th September 2011, 19:10   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I was going through documents required for renewal of passport.
It says all I need to give is
1. Old passport
2. Photocopies of first 2 and last 2 pages
3. Address proof - Which can be mobile or landline phone bill. One of current year, and one of previous year.

Is this all I need to give? Nothing else needed?
MY old passport was issued in BLR and will expire next year(within one year).
Currently I reside in UP.
Tanveer , I too was in same situation . passport issued in B,lore and getting renewed in delhi . All the documentation remains same as new one if there is a change in location except for age proof. For address proof , you may get a letter from your HR mentioning your home address . pls make sure that letter is not auto generated and is duly signed and stamped. Have a small suggestion. if you can manage a delhi address , pls submit it in bhikaji cama place. it;s easy there . For noida address you need to submit in ghaziabad , without the help of a agent, very tough. Also there will be police verification again as there is a address change. be ready to shell out some 500 odd bucks to UP police.

Quote:
Question 1:
My passport expires on May 27th 2013, I spoke to a passport agent and they say I can only apply for renewal if I have a period of 1 year or less.

Can someone please explain?

Question 2:
https://passport.gov.in/cpv/TatkalScheme.htm

In the above link, among the list of documents to be furnished to prove credibility, I have to furnish at least one document listed from (a) to (i). The problem here is I have PAN Card, Driving license, Birth Certificate but none of these fall under section (a) to (i)
Yes , true for point no 1 . you can apply for renewal 1 year before expiry.
for point no -2 the section is meant for applying passport in tatkal scheme. you can go to you local police station and get the affidavit signed and stamped by SHO . Make sure you take his Photo id card's xerox. other option is your SDM . SDM will sign only on the basis of a verification report from police station. another thing to remember is too have at least 3 original copies signed from who so ever who is verifying your identity .

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 20th September 2011 at 19:17.
Old 20th September 2011, 19:15   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I've applied for my Passport Renewal at Hyderabad RPO about 5 months ago and my police verification was over exactly 1 month after applying and even today I see that my status reads as Police Verification Pending. I am confused whom to approach. It's been more than 5 months since I applied and was told that Passport Renewal procedure takes no more than a month to renew the passport. Any leads about whom to approach would be really helpful.
Only your local RPO can help here. carry all your relevant docs specially chit containing your file no. these people don't listen to anybody. only solution is to embarrass them publicly ( read Gandhigiri ). I used to go to RPO office daily continuously for 10 days, stand in queue for 2 hours and than request her for passport status. remind her daily that you said so an so Y;day ( very imp to remind her that you are coming daily )but still i has 't received . Even if she confirms you that she will dispatch tomorrow , reach again tomorrow and ask for speed post no details .

I know it tough but there is no other option. my friend in HYD spend close to 26 K for getting his passport in 15 days .

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 20th September 2011 at 19:16.
Old 20th September 2011, 19:20   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. You have till 2013 to renew, think about it when the time comes. I suggest that you renew it when you are posted abroad, the processing is much faster.
2. After ten year tenure you will get a fresh passport, include your wife's name then. Any change you incorporate into your present passport will take time, as they have to issue a new booklet (do not think additions/deletions are allowed in passports), your current passport will be cancelled and handed back. So alow plenty of time prior to travel if applying in India.
All options are detailed here
Untitled Document
3. Tatkal does speed up the process.
Hmm, Appreciate your thoughts.

if you take a look at this link Passport Seva Portal
:
Does passport reissue mean a fresh passport? If I include my spouse name in the passport, will the existing passport get changed or new one will be issued

If the new one is issued, will it retain the old expiry date?
Old 20th September 2011, 19:22   #426
BHPian

Thanks Sushil for the advice but as you know, going to the RPO daily for a working professinal isn't feasible. I work on the opposite side of RPO and even if I think about going to RPO before coming to Office, I would be wasting 1/2 a day of my time. I am so confused about this as Onsite IJP's are rolling out like crazy in the organization I work for and I am here without my passport.
Old 20th September 2011, 19:25   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, Appreciate your thoughts.

if you take a look at this link Passport Seva Portal
:
Does passport reissue mean a fresh passport? If I include my spouse name in the passport, will the existing passport get changed or new one will be issued

If the new one is issued, will it retain the old expiry date?
If you just want to include your spouse name than you need to use the form meant for miscellaneous services. attach your marriage certificate, take your spouse/original cert /marriage photos along with you. they will edit the existing passport and add your spouse name to your passport. make sure you are getting the same done for your wife;s passport as well. generally such requests are completed same day or next day max and passports are handed over by hand. so the expiry dates remain same untill you apply for renewal.
Old 20th September 2011, 19:28   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sushil for the advice but as you know, going to the RPO daily for a working professinal isn't feasible. I work on the opposite side of RPO and even if I think about going to RPO before coming to Office, I would be wasting 1/2 a day of my time. I am so confused about this as Onsite IJP's are rolling out like crazy in the organization I work for and I am here without my passport.
was in same position so i know very tough . Can your organization issue a certificate that you need to travel onsite and you need your passport urgently .if yes, try this way. show the letter to RPO and ask for her help. I got through this way with some daily visits. Other option is to get hold of a good agent. but yes, a visit every 2-3rd day is must in such cases.
Old 20th September 2011, 19:28   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Talk to the police station that cleared your report.

1. Many times passport is stuck since police does no send report (even after completing manual verification)
2. Their system is not updated quite a few times. So it might have happened that postman returned the passport (could not deliver) and system would still show older status.

Talking to police station and nearest speed post should clear that.
Old 20th September 2011, 19:30   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi, there seems to be a lot of confusion between "reissue" and "renewal" of passports, so just pasting this excerpt from the Passport website's FAQ section:

Quote:
Question: What is the difference between Re-issue and Renewal of a passport?
Ans. Passports are Re-issued after the expiry of their 10-year validity period.If you had been issued a Short Validity Passport (i.e. a passport of validity less than 10 years) apply for renewal to extend the normal validity of the existing passport to 10 years. In the case of Re-issue of passport a normal fee of Rs.1000/- will be charged whereas for extending the validity (renewal) no fee is charged.
Seems pretty clear that everyone here is talking abour reissue and not renewal.

@Mr Bean: it doesn't matter if you reissue, renew or plain get an additional booklet for your existing passport because its leaflets have run out, you will be issued a new passport and the old one will be cancelled and returned to you. Your renewed/reissued/additional booklet passport will have a different number and date of issue (in case of additional booklet, the expiry date will be same as your original passport)

Hope this clarifies...

I would highly recommend you club the inclusion of wife's name with the reissue process. It is not mandatory to include the spouse name as far as I know. I was married 7-8 years ago and did not include my wife's name in my passport till I had my passport reissued ast year. Didn't make any big difference anywhere. My wife changed her name after marriage and had MY name included in HER passport, which was useful for visa processing, bank work and the like.

Last edited by noopster : 20th September 2011 at 19:50.
Old 20th September 2011, 19:32   #431
Senior - BHPian

This query is on behalf of a friend

My friend had applied for a new passport through Speed Post from Hassan (Karnataka). This was in early May 2011. He then received a call for the police verification in July. The police verification was done immediately. Now, in September 1st week he received a letter from the Passport office saying that an objection had been raised. The objection code was OBJ47 and it stated that the address proof submitted by him was not accepted and he had to submit a new address proof.

The letter which he received did not state how he should submit the required document. The agent at the toll-free number of the Passport authority said that the applicant has to come to the Regional Passport Office in Bangalore to submit the document.

The RPO Bangalore website says that the applicant can drop the document at the enquiry counter or in the drop box provided there. I'm not very sure of the dropbox system, but if my friend has to submit the document, does he have to stand in the queue and take a token for it? As far as I can remember, in the RPO Bangalore, we had to come early, stand in the line and take a token and then go inside when called. Is the same system still in place? Are the tokens issued in the enquiry counter or is there a different counter? Has anybody faced such type of situation? Please help
Old 20th September 2011, 19:32   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sushil for the advice but as you know, going to the RPO daily for a working professinal isn't feasible.
File an RTI asking for the status of your passport & also seek a detailed report of day to day status of your passport from the time you applied.This may help you get the Passport .Even if you still don't get the Passport , this will at least give you an idea at which level it is stuck.
Old 20th September 2011, 19:36   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@Mr Bean: it doesn't matter if you reissue, renew or plain get an additional booklet for your existing passport because its leaflets have run out, you will be issued a new passport and the old one will be cancelled and returned to you. Your renewed/reissued/additional booklet passport will have a different number and date of issue (in case of additional booklet, the expiry date will be same as your original passport)
Hope this clarifies...

I would highly recommend you club the inclusion of wife's name with the reissue process. It is not mandatory to include the spouse name as far as I know. I was married in 2003 and did not include my wife's name in my passport till I had my passport reissued ast year. Didn't make any big difference anywhere. My wife changed her name after marriage and had MY name included in HER passport, which was useful for visa processing, bank work and the like.
Dear Noopster

His passport is not expiring / running out of leaflets . he wants to include his spouse name , for which RPO do not issue new passport. they edit the existing one at least here in delhi it;s so . not sure of process is diff in other places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
File an RTI asking for the status of your passport & also seek a detailed report of day to day status of your passport from the time you applied.This may help you get the Passport .Even if you still don't get the Passport , this will at least give you an idea at which level it is stuck.
this is excellent suggestion but file only in extreme case when you are sure that they are knowingly hanging on to your passport.
Old 20th September 2011, 21:19   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs. 1 year limit is sad, Doing it overseas is not a issue but I have to come back to India to extend my work permit.

I don't have not included the spouse name yet, If I do it now, won't they increase the validity?
The 1 year limit does not apply if you run out of pages in your passport. Many embassies and consulates require that your passport have at least 6 months of validity pending, so being able to renew your passport while it still has a year of validity seems quite reasonable.

I am not certain as passports being issued now are printed rather than hand-written but with the hand-written passport, an amendment simply meant that they would return your existing passport with a note endorsed by a rubber stamp and a signature.
Old 22nd September 2011, 21:22   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Folks,

I was happy to see an update on the status of my passport renewal (I'd applied on April 23rd)

The message that was a standard 'police verification not received' for the past one month has now been updated to 'Police report is clear and passport is expected to be despatched on 4-07-2011. Subject to all documents being in order'.

At least they bothered to update the status. But let me see if they stick to their date. I am saying this keeping other members' horror stories in mind, apart from daily woes expressed in the Times of India.
Quote:
Further to the above, I checked the status online today, as the passport was supposed to be despatched on July 4th. The new status message reads as:

"It is to regret that due to unavoidable circumstances the despatch of Passport has been delayed and will now be despatched in a week's time"

Perhaps the Telenagana bandhs have had their toll, but I do remember reading in the TOI that this is a strategy they normally adopt, and that it might take at least a month for them to despatch it.

Sorry state of affairs indeed for Hyderabad guys.
Quote:
You are much better off than Hyderabad guys. In my case, I applied for re-issue 3 months ago and have still not received my passport. My status from July 4th (the day it was to be despatched per earlier post on their website) continues to be the same : 'owing to unavoidable circumstances, despatch has been delayed. We hope to despatch in a week's time'.

I am not sure if a 'week' in their lingo means a month or a year, going by the daily horror stories in the Times Of India. People who applied for re-issue in February are also reporting the same issue.

Also, the TOI says that Hyderabad gets the largest number of applications in Southern India---allegedly it is the second-largest in the country.
As you guys can see, nothing seems to have moved w.r.t. despatching my passport since July 4th, and today the 5th month has passed from the time I applied for re-issue.

Daily mails to the Times of India by various folks living in Hyderabad added fuel to the fire. Yesterday's TOI had a mail from a guy who applied for re-issue in March, a month before me.

Therefore I thought it apt to contact my SAIL batchmate, now an IFS diplomat. I gave him the details yesterday, though he is currently on a mission abroad.

I hope things work out now, though using contacts to get a legitimate case processed was the last thing on my mind till yesterday. Very sorry state of affairs indeed. Going by this experience, I think the state government bodies are far more efficient.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks