Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2013, 19:21   #1231
Senior - BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
Got my passport exactly after 1 Month 1 Day. The postman had left an intimation at the Security, later i followed up with him and collected my passport after showing id.

As told by the postman, they don't attempt delivery on Weekdays when address is that of a flat. So, if you are expecting your passport and live in a flat please keep track of the article through IndiaPost site and try to collect it through the SpeedPost center of your area (not your regular post office).
This again may not be the same for all areas. My passport came on a weekday at my residence, but the postman refused to deliver the passport to my family members. I had to collect it personally in the evening.

Rohan
Old 17th June 2013, 10:33   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
T My passport came on a weekday at my residence, but the postman refused to deliver the passport to my family members. I had to collect it personally in the evening.Rohan
The postman cannot refuse delivery if you give an authorization letter to the person who is supposed to collect it.My wife collected my passport as i was traveling and my neighbor collected my wife's passport as we both were traveling.

Regards,

Waseem.
Old 17th June 2013, 12:53   #1233
Distinguished - BHPian

People, it's been more than a week since the passport website updated the status as "Your Passport has been printed and You would receive an sms/email once the passport is dispatched."

But I am yet to receive an SMS on the same. Any suggestions on the same?
Old 17th June 2013, 13:07   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
But I am yet to receive an SMS on the same. Any suggestions on the same?
I am sure you will get your passport this week.If you are scheduled to travel, make sure that you give an authorization letter to the person who is supposed to collect it on your behalf.

Regards,

Waseem.
Old 17th June 2013, 13:57   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
The postman cannot refuse delivery if you give an authorization letter to the person who is supposed to collect it.My wife collected my passport as i was traveling and my neighbor collected my wife's passport as we both were traveling.

Regards,

Waseem.
I read the FAQs on the passport website, quoting the same here.

Q: Do I need to be personally present to collect the passport from the postman or any of my family members can collect it on my behalf?
A: Any family member of the applicant (who is in blood relation), can collect the passport from the postman by showing his/her identity card. However, it would be advisable if you collect the passport personally.

The website clearly mentions that passport can be collected by a family member.

Also there is no mention of authorization letter on the passport website, at least I was not able to find it.

The format for authorization letter is also not available on the passport website, to the best of my knowledge.

The passport applicant is at the mercy of the postman.

Rohan
Old 18th June 2013, 12:06   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr

This again may not be the same for all areas. My passport came on a weekday at my residence, but the postman refused to deliver the passport to my family members. I had to collect it personally in the evening.

Rohan
It's always better to collect the passport personally because some times these post mans don't understand the legal facilities like authorisation letter etc . In my case I was asked to open the passport envelope and show the photo in my passport as an identification.
Old 18th June 2013, 17:24   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
I read the FAQs on the passport website, quoting the same here.

Also there is no mention of authorization letter on the passport website, at least I was not able to find it.

The format for authorization letter is also not available on the passport website, to the best of my knowledge.

Rohan
The intimation that Postman leaves behind does have a point which says any representative can collect on showing a authorization letter.
Old 18th June 2013, 17:44   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also there is no mention of authorization letter on the passport website, at least I was not able to find it.Rohan
Passport is sent by Speed-post which does not come under the purview of MEA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
In my case I was asked to open the passport envelope and show the photo in my passport as an identification.
It is a standard practice followed by Postmen all across India

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
The intimation that Postman leaves behind does have a point which says any representative can collect on showing a authorization letter.
The best practice would be to collect it personally.If you are planning to travel after submitting your application, then it is advised that your give an authorization letter to the person who is supposed to collect on your behalf.

Waseem.
Old 18th June 2013, 18:27   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post

It is a standard practice followed by Postmen all across India
Am not sure, I was not asked to show the photograph in the PP!
Old 18th June 2013, 18:44   #1240
Senior - BHPian

I got my passport done in the year 1999, IIRC I had paid Rs.600 for a 20 year validity. Yup, it was cheaper to get it done at that time.

Recently while I was returning from a trip to the US, the IMMIGRATION official at Bangalore Airport told me to get the passport changed to a new one. I told him, I still have 6 years validity remaining, and he in his normal rude behavior told me it doesnt matter, its an old one, so get it renewed.

Th question is, my passport is surely old, but its still intact. The new one I believe has a bar code However, since its the passport department which upgraded the passport facility, should I not be provided with a new one on their own instead of me applying for a new one, considering that its still not expired? Also, none of the imigration officials in US or UK told me anything about the passport being old.
Old 19th June 2013, 11:05   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I got my passport done in the year 1999, IIRC I had paid Rs.600 for a 20 year validity. Yup, it was cheaper to get it done at that time.

Recently while I was returning from a trip to the US, the IMMIGRATION official at Bangalore Airport told me to get the passport changed to a new one. I told him, I still have 6 years validity remaining, and he in his normal rude behavior told me it doesnt matter, its an old one, so get it renewed.

Th question is, my passport is surely old, but its still intact. The new one I believe has a bar code However, since its the passport department which upgraded the passport facility, should I not be provided with a new one on their own instead of me applying for a new one, considering that its still not expired? Also, none of the imigration officials in US or UK told me anything about the passport being old.
Well the Immigration officer is right to tell you to get a new passport, but I agree its wrong the way he told you that without informing why it is needed so.

FYI most of the countries now do not accept a passport having a validity of more than 10 years. Even visa applications are declined if you hold a passport having more than 10 years validity.

Better to apply for a new Passport now. you never know when you will be stuck and not allowed to fly out again.
Old 19th June 2013, 14:02   #1242
Senior - BHPian

What exactly is this authorization letter ? Can someone post a link for the format of this authorization letter.

Rohan
Old 19th June 2013, 15:31   #1243
BHPian

CBI Raids PSK

Source : http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...-psk-cbi-raids
Old 19th June 2013, 15:48   #1244
BHPian

Applied for renewal of my passport at Shaikpet PSK, Hyderabad today. Also for both of my kids. Whole process took 5 hours. Lets see how long they take to deliver it. I was told to expect it towards end July.
Old 19th June 2013, 15:50   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Well the Immigration officer is right to tell you to get a new passport, but I agree its wrong the way he told you that without informing why it is needed so.

FYI most of the countries now do not accept a passport having a validity of more than 10 years. Even visa applications are declined if you hold a passport having more than 10 years validity.

Better to apply for a new Passport now. you never know when you will be stuck and not allowed to fly out again.
Shoots...guess I better get it done then. So much for the validity.

I have changed my signature from what is there in my old passport, would that create an issue? I would have to add my wife to the passport and also change of addres. Should i do it myself or employ a agent?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks