Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 10:14   #1
BHPian

Passport Renewal Procedure

Hi guys!

Can someone guide me the procedure to renew my passport in Bangalore? Its expiring in June 2010.

My mom renewed hers in Bangalore last year by submitting a physical form. My friend renewed his in Hyderabad a month ago by some "online" procedure. I have no idea which is prevelant here in Bangalore and would appreciate some information/link on this.

Thanks all.

Prajwal
Old 29th March 2010, 11:06   #2
BHPian

Procedure is same as if you are applying for a new passport, with all documents, photographs etc.

Advantage in Bangalore being, you can have a online booking slot for submitting the forms at Koramangala RPO. Other than that, I dont see any difference.

Be sure that when you book your slot online, the name should be same as it is mentioned in the passport, otherwise they will reject your slot and you cannot submit the same.

Have a nice day
Old 29th March 2010, 11:08   #3
BHPian

Indian Passport, Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. of India

It is quite simple really thesedays with the online form/appointment.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

You can use Bangalore One if you prefer. They make all the verifications and you can get all details from them. You can print the forms going online.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to get my wife's passport renewed with the change of address after marriage and now thinking of going for a passport for my son too. Any specific documents I need to have for my son's passport. I dont know whether the Thane passport office support online forms and appointments.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You can use Bangalore One if you prefer. They make all the verifications and you can get all details from them. You can print the forms going online.
I was told by a friend that Bangalore One does not seem to process or accept Tatkaal applications. I will find out again nevertheless.

Prajwal
Old 29th March 2010, 13:04   #7
BHPian

Bangalore One doesn't take forms for renewal of passport. Need to get it done at RPO only.

For a child's passport, apart from regular docs, we need to have the birth certificate and if you want to include both the parents name, most probably, they might ask for a marriage certificate also.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:10   #8
BHPian

I recently got my passport renewed at Bangalore in the Tatkal mode, a complicated process but they would give your passport in 3-4 days.

First of all, fill up the forms and keep any of the following documents handy that can prove that you are staying at your address for the last one year:
1> Landline bill, Airtel is also ok, doesn't have to be BSNL only
2> Property document like possession certificate etc.
3> Bank statement
4> Gas connection
5> Ration card, voter id; may be difficult
Note that house lease agreement is not considered, driving license as I was told is good only for identification, not as address proof.

Marriage certificate and birth certificate for baby as required to be included. While sitting at the passport office, saw many people getting rejected baby passport because the proper birth certificate was not there or because they didn't bring the baby along for verification, a hassle.

Apart from the above, take any other documents that are listed in the website, e.g. educational certificates (a higher degree entitles one to get the ECNR status), company letter etc.

If a person is from out of state, they would get the previous passport details verified via fax from the respective passport authority who issued the passport earlier, takes 2-3 hours.

After any verification for an out of state passport, one has to either get the police verification done of the present address or can postpone the police verification to a later date in case of emergency and get a certificate from a gazetted officer stating that such and such person is staying at a particular address for such and such time and there is no criminal proceedings pending in his name in the letterhead of the issuing authority (government establishment) with applicant's photo duly stamped. For the gazetted officer to endorse you, a notary has to be made in the format given in the passport office website, visit any of the local notary establishment and get that done.

While accepting the passport for renewal, a reference number is given and the passport application is sent to the Police Commissioner's Office. One can try calling up the said office and request for a speedy processing of the same so that the application is forwarded to the concerned Police Station on priority for genuine emergency cases. Once the application is confirmed to have been forwarded to the police station local to the applicant's address, you might need to go to the PS and make a request for verification of your address for faster processing. I had to search through a bundle of applications at the PS and get mine out as I needed my passport urgently. A police officer would visit your house, better bring him and drop back personally so that you can get the process completed while you are present. The officer will make a report and submit to the head of the PS and after any questioning he might deem necessary of the applicant, the verification document is cleared and sent back to the passport office. You might ask for an acknowledgement of the verification so that you can submit to the passport office in person to enable you to go for a Tatkal scheme after paying the extra 1K processing fee.

Once the Tatkal application is accepted by the passport authority, you will get a date in the range of 3-4 days and the passport will be delivered by speed post.

I had to visit the passport office 2 times and the PS about 4 times and then intercepted the speed post guy with proper identification to get the passport.

Hope this is helpful to your cause.

PS - As stated by one of the posts above, an online appointment taken the previous day (there is some cut-off time) is helpful to prevent unnecessary time spent in the queue.

Last edited by aburagohain : 29th March 2010 at 13:16.
aburagohain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2010, 13:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore one did take passport reissue (renewal) application. They will take bank statement and company letter stating the residence address. Also one can attach lease agreement as a supporting document. Gas connection letter and a cylinder replacement bill with 3 months is also accepted. Marriage certificate not necessary if spouse name is endorsed in the passport. otherwise this is mandatory. for Date of Birth proof, old passport itself is sufficient.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Bangalore One doesn't take forms for renewal of passport. Need to get it done at RPO only.

For a child's passport, apart from regular docs, we need to have the birth certificate and if you want to include both the parents name, most probably, they might ask for a marriage certificate also.
Sorry, your information is wrong.

I got my passport renewed in Dec'09 from Bangalore One. They took all documents and I got the renewed passport quite soon.

The only strange thing was that the police guy turned up for verification after I got my passport!
Old 29th March 2010, 14:00   #11
BHPian

My passport expired a year back. So would it be renewal this time around or do i have to go for the fresh passport application all over again. what are the documents required for fresh application viz a renewal. Also I stay in a rented home whereas my own house has been rented out. So in that case can i show my house agreement for the passport purpose. Also in case of police verification is it okay for my tenants to certify that the house belongs to me.
Old 29th March 2010, 14:21   #12
BHPian

@aburagohain: That was an amazing detailed explanation of the procedure. This would surely help a lot of people, me included.

Thanks mate!

I'll have to take leave just to go to the passport office and the Police Station a few times for this.

@vasanthn21: How long did it take for you to get ur passport after submitting to Bangalore One? Did you do it via Tatkaal?

Cheers!

Prajwal

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 29th March 2010 at 14:29.
Old 29th March 2010, 17:52   #13
BHPian

You are welcome, I would be glad if the information helps.

Forgot to mention that if one goes via the Gazetted Officer route, application is processed without police verification for the time being, but the verification has to happen at a later point in time, do not exactly know how it would be coordinated between the passport office and the police station concerned and how long the renewed passport would be valid without the police verification but adding it just in case someone plans to shift residence etc., in that case there could be complications.
Old 29th March 2010, 17:55   #14
BHPian

Is it necessary to be physically present at the time of verification? what if I am off to office and some family member is there only. I am supposing that should be alright, but I don't know. The police does not give a specific date and time, and we cannot be sitting at home all day long just for them.

What happens then?

Prajwal
Old 29th March 2010, 18:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post

@vasanthn21: How long did it take for you to get ur passport after submitting to Bangalore One? Did you do it via Tatkaal?

Cheers!

Prajwal
It took about 2 weeks for me, no - it was not via Tatkaal.

To answer Prajwal's question, You need to be physically present. If you are not at home when someone from the department arrives, they will let you know the time when you have to be at the station next.

Take a few passport and stamp size photographs to the police station - preferably the ones you have given along with the passport application (though this is not mentioned anywhere). I had to run back home for the photos; luckily my house is not far from the local police station.

Give Rs.50 after everything is done at the station, and you are good to go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks