Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2011, 17:08   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
But, a week/10 days after she received her passport, she got a call from the local police station that a verification was to be done. The policeman asked her to get two witnesses known to her and go to the police station where he could complete the formalities
Was the passport applied through tatkal? If so then the verification takes place after passport issue.

Quote:
Although she did not face any problem, I can understand if verification is done before issuance of the passport, but what is there to verify after she got the passport? There were no changes in the particulars in any way.
Like in my case of passport issue, since it was through Tatkal the person at the counter verified if a police verification record exists for my previous passport. It did and this cancelled the need for another police verification.

Quote:
Has somebody else also faced this type of situation?
I had faced the same issue fro my son's passport. The passport was recd within 20 days of application but recd a slip for the police verification after a week or so. Although it is clearly known that child does not have to undergo police verification still the slip was sent. I ignored after consulting the passport official.
Old 10th June 2011, 17:28   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Was the passport applied through tatkal? If so then the verification takes place after passport issue.
Nope, It was a normal application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Like in my case of passport issue, since it was through Tatkal the person at the counter verified if a police verification record exists for my previous passport. It did and this cancelled the need for another police verification.
But, any passport issued earlier would have also gone through police verification, right? Anyway, her earlier passport had a police verification done at the time of issue. Not that I mind, but I'm just curious why verification was done after the issue
Old 10th June 2011, 19:23   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
But, any passport issued earlier would have also gone through police verification, right? Anyway, her earlier passport had a police verification done at the time of issue. Not that I mind, but I'm just curious why verification was done after the issue
Beats me, I dont have a clue. AFAIK when an application is submitted at the passport office, the passport office is bound to send an intimation to the concerned police station. They do specify whether the verification is needed or not or sometimes just for intimation/record purposes. Many a times the police staff misunderstand the communication and send a note to the applicant for verification. I guess thats what must have happened in your mother's case.

Frankly speaking most of the police staff dont know about the passport procedures, all they are interested in "other income".

Last edited by ghodlur : 10th June 2011 at 19:26.
Old 12th June 2011, 07:01   #334
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

so the police verification summons call came on Friday last when I was sitting in a plane. (My wife received the call as hers was the second telephone number I had given in my application.). Yesterday I popped along to the local cop station with all the photocopies of the submitted documents and a couple of photographs too.
Completed the formalities in terms of filling and signing a couple of forms, showing them the new passport which had already reached me on tatkaal mode, did the verification, had the details uploaded on the system. Thanked them and showed my apppreciation of their speed of service by giving another box of high quality sweets to their team and went away.
Now I guess I can chill.
Ref my wife's passport, we had pushed it a bit by visiting the Police Commissioners office and accelerating the verification process. She has also completed this though in her case it was pre-issue verification. As per our local police station her details are also uploaded and we can expect her passport to arrive in the next 10 days or 15 days. In my case the entire process has taken about 15 days whereas in her case it looks more like one month. Our police station chaps have advised that my wife goes early in the morning and waits in the RPO queue with all her documents. She can get a token to meet the Passport Officer and request that the process is speeded up if she likes. However, going by what I have seen the queue starts building up at 430-5am and it is really very long indeed. By the time one gets to the counter it might be 930 am or 945am and then comes the wait until the Passport Officer gives one an audience and hears ones request. If one goes through this pain, then one might end up helping to accelerate the issual process by a week or ten days. So instead of waiting 10-15 days more as is the current state in my wife's case, she might end up getting it in another week - provided she goes through the "meeting passport officer" stage. Personally I dont think it is worth that effort. Better to be patient and wait for it to come along in its time.

One thing is clear - in India, to ensure that one's job gets done, one has to be possessed of that extremely rare quality - patience! building relationships everywhere is another must, if one wants one's work to get done peacefully.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th June 2011 at 07:07.
Old 12th June 2011, 09:19   #335
Senior - BHPian

I went to the PSK at ORR on the 10th for my passport reissue. Here are a few pointers on how/ what to do it in Bangalore.

1) Register at http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlin...ct/welcomeLink to apply online, upload documents and take an appointment. All details on what/ which documents to carry/ use are given there.
2) Go to the PSK on the given date with all the originals and the print of the appointment letter which you will get from the website.
3) There are 4 counters at the PSK office at ORR: A check counter, counter A, B & C.
4) One will need to stand in a queue outside the main door and the guard will look at the appointment letter to let you into the check counter. (You cannot take your helmet inside the building and there is parking available for both car & bike. Also, carry your shades as you may do a bit of sun bathing in the queue.)
5) At the check counter, all your documents are verified for completeness and you will be issued with a token number. Don't fret if you need a photocopy of something, they have a photocopier as well.
6) This token is then used for the movement to counter A, B and C.
7) In counter A, the documents are verified, some documents are scanned, the photo is taken and the online application is submitted. They also will show the soft copy of your new passport on the screen. The applicant will be given a file with the completed application and all the necessary documentation inside.
8) Till this stage the applicant will encounter only TCS folks and they do their bit to keep the applicants relaxed.
9) In counter B, a Passport office official will double check your application file.
10) In counter C, another Passport office official will collect your application file.
11) And you are on your way out after giving an online feedback at the door.

The next step is the Police verification and upon successful completion of the same, your new passport will come home.

Last edited by deetjohn : 12th June 2011 at 09:21. Reason: rewording
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 13:23   #336
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I was happy to see an update on the status of my passport renewal (I'd applied on April 23rd)

The message that was a standard 'police verification not received' for the past one month has now been updated to 'Police report is clear and passport is expected to be despatched on 4-07-2011. Subject to all documents being in order'.

At least they bothered to update the status. But let me see if they stick to their date. I am saying this keeping other members' horror stories in mind, apart from daily woes expressed in the Times of India.
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:24   #337
BHPian

I have applied for a passport renewal in normal mode, but now I need to travel soon for onsite because of a the project requirement. Is it possible to convert the passport renewal to tatkal mode by providing the Client Invitation letter.

Have anyone been in a similar situation ?
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:46   #338
Senior - BHPian

My Passport is not going to expire anytime soon. But I want the name of my wife to be mentioned on it. This passport was issued when I was a bachelor. Has anyone done this updation of wife name on passport in Bangalore? Procedure? Will it be similar to issue of a new passport?

Also can I change my signature in the passport? I am stuck with different signature on my PAN card. :(

Last edited by download2live : 22nd June 2011 at 15:49.
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:54   #339
Senior - BHPian

After waiting for a long time passport did not arrive by post so had no
option but to go to the passport office today.
I reached there 8.30am.There were 2 gates. Gate 1 general inquiry.
Gate 2 for the Tatkal applications.
Went into the General inquiry long line waited for 2hrs for my turn.
I was assigned to go the 2nd floor of the office to meet the passport officer.
Gave all my papers he checked my status took my application and said will
receive your passport by post in 10days.
Old 23rd June 2011, 23:08   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
My Passport is not going to expire anytime soon. But I want the name of my wife to be mentioned on it. This passport was issued when I was a bachelor. Has anyone done this updation of wife name on passport in Bangalore? Procedure? Will it be similar to issue of a new passport?

Also can I change my signature in the passport? I am stuck with different signature on my PAN card. :(
downtolive, I did update my passport in march 2011. Similar to your case, I was a bachelor in my old passport.All I need to do was to provide them with our marriage certificate and a bank account address in the same address as mine.I would say to apply together with your wife. Then she can be saved the hassle(if you declare her address as yours). In my case they gave new passport for her as well.good luck
Old 28th June 2011, 08:30   #341
BHPian

The last page of my passport got damaged (because of my carelessness). This passport has a b1 visa stamped on it. For reissuing a new passport, do I have to surrender my old passport or will they return it back to me because of the Visa stamp ? Or do I have to get the visa re - stamped on my new passport ?
Old 28th June 2011, 08:32   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
The last page of my passport got damaged (because of my carelessness). This passport has a b1 visa stamped on it. For reissuing a new passport, do I have to surrender my old passport or will they return it back to me because of the Visa stamp ? Or do I have to get the visa re - stamped on my new passport ?
When you re-issue new passport, they will stamp it "cancelled" and then return it to you on the spot when you go for verification of docs at PSK.

I dont think you need to get visa re-stamped. Correct me if I am wrong
Old 28th June 2011, 12:40   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
When you re-issue new passport, they will stamp it "cancelled" and then return it to you on the spot when you go for verification of docs at PSK.

I dont think you need to get visa re-stamped. Correct me if I am wrong
No, you are right. No need of visa getting re stamped. The old Visa stamping on the damaged passport still holds good. The only thing is you will need to carry both the passports till the expiry of the Visa on the damaged one.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:49   #344
Team-BHP Support

The address on my passport is different from my current address, where I have been residing for more than 3 years.

My wife has to apply for a fresh passport (on my current address), and I also want to include her name in my passport. Question is, can the two passports (her and mine) have different addresses ?

If I want to change the address on my passport, can it be done in parallel to her applying for the passport or does she have to wait till my address gets updated and then apply ?
Old 28th June 2011, 13:00   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
My wife has to apply for a fresh passport (on my current address), and I also want to include her name in my passport. Question is, can the two passports (her and mine) have different addresses ?

If I want to change the address on my passport, can it be done in parallel to her applying for the passport or does she have to wait till my address gets updated and then apply ?
Yes. They can have different addresses. Also, you can apply in parallel as long as you are not planning to use your passport as address proof for her.
adentist is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed